Closed

Chinese Tablet Maker May Sue Apple Over iPad

Tags:
  • iPad
  • Tablets
  • Apple
Last response: in News comments
February 1, 2010 5:51:44 PM

As much as I don't think that the iPad is a revolutionary product, I don't think the Chinese company has much of a case.
Score
February 1, 2010 5:52:18 PM

This is total BS...so what the thing looks alike from the front but everything about them is pretty much different. Just another attempt from some random no name company to strike a settlement and get some $$
Score
February 1, 2010 5:53:48 PM

How else it it supposed to look? I bet 99% of people that ever envisioned a tablet PC all imagined this look. I know I did about 10 years ago.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:03:34 PM

Nope no case. Form factor does not give them a case in the slightest.
It's like GM suing Ford for making trucks.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:06:44 PM

Quote:
It also has doesn't have the battery life that...

..has doesn't have...?
Score
February 1, 2010 6:08:42 PM

No case. I can hardly tell a Dell from a Gateway from an HP laptop without the logo on the lid, but they don't sue eachother for stealing the idea of a portable computer that folds for easy carrying.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:15:48 PM

Um don't they both look like an oversized iPhone? It seems Apple could go after them for taking the look of their iPhone and making a tablet out of it. To flip tenor's analogy, it is not like you can make a Hotwheel that looks like a Ford F150 without getting the rights from Ford.

To top that off, many of the smart phones seem to have a black bezel and chrome edge. It would be nice if companies would all just make their stuff unique. That costs money though.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:17:49 PM

So.. "Mr. Wu" is it? Ever heard of karma? :D 
Score
Anonymous
February 1, 2010 6:18:10 PM

Have to agree about form factor same = no case but it'll be interesting to see how they get around the name issue. Apple could always change it from ipad to idud couldn't they. I'm sure that name would be free.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:22:59 PM

a real OS seems to make it much more practical to me...
Score
February 1, 2010 6:23:15 PM

THEY LOOK ALIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE TABLETS THEY HAVE NO BUTTONS THEY ARE ALL JUST SCREEN pretty much lol ridiculous what next a monitor company is going to sue another one because they make monitors ~~~zuzuzu
Score
February 1, 2010 6:23:33 PM

I have to LOL at just about any Chinese company suing an American company for ripping off their product designs.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:24:33 PM

Pandora (maker of pads) has a better case than they do.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:27:55 PM

This has the makings of a killer soap opera.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:39:46 PM

this case might have merit, it the P88 has a strong following they can claim that the ipad may be confuse people into buying the wrong price, this is illegal (conning people to buy a device by making it look like an already existing brand)
Score
February 1, 2010 7:04:27 PM

Let me get this straight, a company known for ripping off other peoples' designs and producing "knock offs" is going to sue apple because it kinda looks like one of their products?

If we can't go after companies in China for copywrite infringement (such as with movies, software, and device knock offs), how can they sue someone here in the US?

As far as the patentablility, they would have to have a US patent on a tablet device of specific dimensions and weight, and functionality. All of which would be difficult to patent at this time because the description would be too generic and because of similarities to other devices.
Score
February 1, 2010 7:14:35 PM

"they were first with their tablet, which bears a striking resemblance to the iPad"

No, not really.
Score
February 1, 2010 7:16:46 PM

No CASE! Come on! who cares, no one is going to buy that thing anyway, neither of the ugly twins (jaja)
I rather go and get one of those new same-all netbook that are still coming out as "new" products.
This tablet thing... Visionary my |€@.
I love my MSI U100 ^^
Score
February 1, 2010 7:16:54 PM

I really don't think they have much of a case... I mean a company that has made a name for itself by ripping off other people's designs is suing Apple? Give me a break. What did you expect it to look like? It's just a big iphone.

As to why everyone wants to sell an iPad Jane, I honestly don't know. The name itself is pretty meh.. and it doesn't sit to well with many of my female friends either.
Score
February 1, 2010 7:19:39 PM

*too well. Silly typo. Carry on!
Score
February 1, 2010 7:25:56 PM

Breaking news--Goodyear sues Michelin for making tires that look like tires!!!
Score
February 1, 2010 7:25:58 PM

lashtonthis case might have merit, it the P88 has a strong following they can claim that the ipad may be confuse people into buying the wrong price, this is illegal (conning people to buy a device by making it look like an already existing brand)

...except that this company is actively selling iPod (all versions) and iPhone rip-offs. Methinks they'll just let this slide.
Score
February 1, 2010 7:26:38 PM

How could they have a case? They just said they were known for "knock-off" products. So, Apple does it and now they are pissed? LOL
Score
February 1, 2010 7:28:02 PM

"Well, they're not THAT colorful anymore."
I hope there's some kind of gamma control. It's too dark right now :p 
Score
February 1, 2010 7:28:28 PM

I think I'm going to sue my neighbor for stealing my hair cut! Why don't we all just cry about it, huh? A tablet is going to look like a tablet I'm afraid. If the iPad was pink and neon green would the Chinese co. have a case then?
Score
February 1, 2010 7:28:49 PM

realheadcrusher"Well, they're not THAT colorful anymore."I hope there's some kind of gamma control. It's too dark right now

Nice, wrong article lol
Score
February 1, 2010 7:32:03 PM

but maybe one of the chinese knockoffs of ipod is called "ipad" This seems very likely. Doesn't anyone think so?
Score
February 1, 2010 7:32:13 PM

Come on Wu, people might mistake your product for an iPad and buy it. Apple is the one who should worry.
Score
February 1, 2010 7:33:49 PM

Maybe that look on Steve's Job's face was him realizing this
Score
February 1, 2010 7:37:26 PM

At least the Chinese tablet sports a widescreen display...
Score
February 1, 2010 7:54:30 PM

Jobs announced trying to get a leg up on some real tablet competition coming out this year, doing what the Softies are famous for doing, attempting to persuade customers to put off buying decisions until Apple can complete a tablet that customers will want. He may have chosen the name iPad just for the controversy since Apple must have known it was already trademarked. Apple will probably use a different name at actual product introduction.

However, the Softies were clever enough to promise vaporware that would actually defer customer purchases from the competition. Jobs failed here ... only Apple nuts would actually want the iPad as described over the competition that will soon be on sale ...
Score
February 1, 2010 7:55:03 PM

Jobs announced trying to get a leg up on some real tablet competition coming out this year, doing what the Softies are famous for doing, attempting to persuade customers to put off buying decisions until Apple can complete a tablet that customers will want. He may have chosen the name iPad just for the controversy since Apple must have known it was already trademarked. Apple will probably use a different name at actual product introduction.

However, the Softies were clever enough to promise vaporware that would actually defer customer purchases from the competition. Jobs failed here ... only Apple nuts would actually want the iPad as described over the competition that will soon be on sale ...
Score
February 1, 2010 7:57:46 PM

I really really really hope that the trend of naming everything starting with an "I" would stop right now. - ifootball, ifoot-oder, iturnip, iorange, idisney, iniel iarmstrong....what have you..
Enough already! go to the next letter please..

Jcar, jpad, jmilk, jmoonlander, jbanana,....oh god...STOP!!
Score
February 1, 2010 8:02:03 PM

To me it seems that Tom's Hardware has no good news as of lately...

@on topic- It is a good thing to that xingling company that their product 'looks alike' iPad (not that I agree. Come on! It's a tablet, how else it should look like?). Think on the free 'propaganda' they're acquiring.

"Don't have lots of money to spend on a shitty product?! Here! I have one that looks like to that shitty one, costs the half and runs an OS that actualy works!"
Score
February 1, 2010 8:08:53 PM

I do thinks it odd that the two devices are identical....
Score
February 1, 2010 8:16:18 PM

Pretty darn cheap advertising for the P88.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:04:13 PM

The Chinese tablet company would get thrown out in a heartbeat I think, but others defiantly seem to have some weight behind them.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:07:26 PM

I think the Gene Roddenberry family should them both because I saw these on Star Trek The Next Generation long ago. LOL
Score
February 1, 2010 9:08:44 PM

LOL Should sue them both.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:13:12 PM

If Apple sued for every Iphone clone, Ipod clone, shuttle clone etc, etc, etc, that comes out of China, the whole country would be bankrupt!!!!!
Score
February 1, 2010 9:14:44 PM

If Apple sued China for every Ipod clone, Iphone clone, shuttle clone, Mac clone etc... that comes from there, the whole country would go bankrupt.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:26:10 PM

wait, so they want to sue when a company makes a similar looking product but almost their entire lineup is copied. BS. I hate how all those companies in China get away with ripping off other companies
Score
February 1, 2010 9:30:10 PM

The Chinese version looks like the older version of the magnified iPod Touch before the iPhone 3Gs revision.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:33:25 PM

Even if there was a case (which there isn't), I wouldn't do anything as a judge. Call it retribution for their shitty knockoffs of American designs.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:38:14 PM

major7upAs much as I don't think that the iPad is a revolutionary product, I don't think the Chinese company has much of a case.

Here to that, when I read Shenzhen in this article it made me stop reading. Shenzhen/Guangzhou pirate everything they can, they have no say in litigation.
Score
February 1, 2010 9:46:09 PM

Here is what the Wired article said...Wu is with the Chinese firm...:

"Wu says that Apple has not only copied the concept of a multitouch tablet, but also the design of the case and screen bezel. And pre-empting our obvious criticism, that the P88 is just a large-scale iPhone or iPod Touch rip-off, Wu says that “they have nothing to do with it, as they have completely different functions.”

As you can see from the picture above, Wu is being rather generous when he describes the P88 and the iPad as “completely identical”. The specs tell a different story. The 10.2-inch screen isn’t multitouch (it uses resistive touch), the P88 uses a hard-drive (250 GB), has an Ethernet port, a 1.3-MP webcam and Intel 945GSE chipset (likely to be paired with an Atom CPU, not listed) with a gig of RAM. It also runs Windows.

The kicker, though, is the battery life, low even for a keyboard-less netbook, which is what this is. Without the power cord you get just 1.5 (claimed) hours."
Score
February 1, 2010 10:19:18 PM

Is this the proper place to tell Jane I love her?
Score
Anonymous
February 1, 2010 11:23:40 PM

Apple seems like to use other's name, such as iPhone (from Linksys) and iPad (from Fujitsu) instead of product design. Apple is creative in product design and not product naming.
Score
Anonymous
February 1, 2010 11:41:52 PM

Nothing new here... it's just packaging. I'll wait for the HP Slate. Slate sounds better than iTampon.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!