lizardxyz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
i had starcaft a years or two ago then my bro got broodwar, but i managed to kill my pc :( . I have just got my self a vary nice alienware gameing pc and i would like to know if there is any new starcraft or starcraft type games out at the moment plz :p

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Starcraft has rarely (if ever) been beaten in terms of variation between races, but still having a good balance. This is why it's still immensely popular as a multiplayer game (especially in the far east).

If you're looking for other RTS games, Age of Empires 2 was also massively successful - it's also quite old now, so you should be able to pick it up on budget.

There are many newer RTS games - Age of Empires 3 has been out a short while now, for example - but generally they look pretty but don't have the same gameplay as older games like Starcraft and AoE2. It's up to you whether you're more interested in eye-candy or gameplay!

AoE3 has a playable demo, so you can download that and give it a try. Rise of Nations is also worth a try - it's been out a while now so should be cheap, but a lot of people liked it (I found it a bit too complicated - too much to do and not enough time!).

samgwise

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
yeh not too many new stratagie titles come to mind.
The games that stick in my mind for stratagie is age f empires one with its expansion(it needs it), starcraft and Red alert 2(even better with the expansion pack, gives it three teams rather than two).
these are all old titles
others that where allright that are more resent where C&C Generals, dawn of war and the first battle for middle earth game was rather good.
other wise oblivion looks awsome but it's not a startagy game and Hlaf life 2 kicks butt but once again it's not a stratagy game.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
While blizzard has not done a starcraft 2 yet you might want to try Warcraft 3 and its expansions. Also a few other RTS games (current) that come to mind are:

1. Age of empires III. Not starcraft but well balanced.
2. Warhammer 40000. Fantastic game (a little gory so you might not want to play that in front of the kids.) Space theme different races with totally different styles of play (kind of like startcraft in that manner).

Cannot think of anything else at the moment but the above 3 should keep you occupied for quite a while.
:)

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@ llama

Haven't tried it. Is it any good? As compared to warhammer or AoEIII (not the graphics but game balance wise and good skirmish mode play)

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Not played Warhammer, and only played the demo for AoE3, BUT...

I preferred AoM to AoE3, but that's mainly due to the subject matter - I'm not especially interested in that period of history. And the units are all kinda the same. Plus, in AoM, you get the "God powers" which let you do some cool things (meteor shower hehehehe :twisted: )

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
i had starcaft a years or two ago then my bro got broodwar, but i managed to kill my pc :( . I have just got my self a vary nice alienware gameing pc and i would like to know if there is any new starcraft or starcraft type games out at the moment plz :p
Nope, oddly enough, in spite of the fact that StarCraft was/is the best-selling PC game ever, (the figures for The Sims were inflated to include expansion-pack sales, not just stand-alone sales) Blizzard has even yet to ANNOUNCE a sequel, 8 years later. However, the game is still wildly popular; millions still play it, and it also appears to be South Korea's official national sport.

Aside from that, I don't think you'll find anything quite like it, though Blizzard, since then, has made WarCraft III, and then World of WarCraft. Unfortuantely, since "WoW," they've decided to stop making more games, and sit on their 5-million-subscriber money pile.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Warhammer rocks, give 'er a go. You'll probably love it.
I haven't played in a while, but I remember the races being pretty different.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Warhammer does sound fun, but I think I've got enough games on the go already...

1. My ever-expanding Empire in X3
2. Setting the league alight in Pro-Evo
3. Showing Fergie, Wenger and that Jose bloke how it's done in Champ Manager (I've just been appointed as England Manager - 8O )
4. Getting shot every 10 seconds in Battlefield 2
5. Galactic Civilizations II looks fun...

And by the time I've had enough of those, Caesar IV should be out...

It's a wonder I find time to eat / sleep / go to work!

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
since you have a fast system I would recommend lord of the rings battle for middle earth II. I just came out and it is excellent. some of the best graphics in a RTS ive played. Next would Age of Empires III which I have also played.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
GalCivII is fun, but it's turn based.

I know, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like turn-based games. It allows the game to pose really difficult strategic questions that you can have a good think about, rather than the RTS model of "he who remembers the hotkeys wins".

It also makes them ideal for post-pub all-night gaming sessions. I find my reactions tend to slow down a little at 6am after 6 pints and a few whiskies... :oops:

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, I prefer the turn based games myself. More time to pore over the options. I get too flustered with the RTS. I like them, but I've never been any good at them.
BTW, how are you in peru and the UK?

TRENDING THREADS