Sign in with
Your question

new starcraft

Last response: in Video Games
March 23, 2006 8:57:59 PM

i had starcaft a years or two ago then my bro got broodwar, but i managed to kill my pc :(  . I have just got my self a vary nice alienware gameing pc and i would like to know if there is any new starcraft or starcraft type games out at the moment plz :p 

More about : starcraft

March 24, 2006 10:20:42 AM

Starcraft has rarely (if ever) been beaten in terms of variation between races, but still having a good balance. This is why it's still immensely popular as a multiplayer game (especially in the far east).

If you're looking for other RTS games, Age of Empires 2 was also massively successful - it's also quite old now, so you should be able to pick it up on budget.

There are many newer RTS games - Age of Empires 3 has been out a short while now, for example - but generally they look pretty but don't have the same gameplay as older games like Starcraft and AoE2. It's up to you whether you're more interested in eye-candy or gameplay!

AoE3 has a playable demo, so you can download that and give it a try. Rise of Nations is also worth a try - it's been out a while now so should be cheap, but a lot of people liked it (I found it a bit too complicated - too much to do and not enough time!).
March 24, 2006 11:13:27 AM

yeh not too many new stratagie titles come to mind.
The games that stick in my mind for stratagie is age f empires one with its expansion(it needs it), starcraft and Red alert 2(even better with the expansion pack, gives it three teams rather than two).
these are all old titles
others that where allright that are more resent where C&C Generals, dawn of war and the first battle for middle earth game was rather good.
other wise oblivion looks awsome but it's not a startagy game and Hlaf life 2 kicks butt but once again it's not a stratagy game.
Related resources
March 24, 2006 11:39:25 AM

While blizzard has not done a starcraft 2 yet you might want to try Warcraft 3 and its expansions. Also a few other RTS games (current) that come to mind are:

1. Age of empires III. Not starcraft but well balanced.
2. Warhammer 40000. Fantastic game (a little gory so you might not want to play that in front of the kids.) Space theme different races with totally different styles of play (kind of like startcraft in that manner).

Cannot think of anything else at the moment but the above 3 should keep you occupied for quite a while.
:) 
March 24, 2006 11:50:54 AM

If he likes different races (as in Starcraft), Age of Mythology might be more to his tastes.
March 24, 2006 12:21:27 PM

@ llama

Haven't tried it. Is it any good? As compared to warhammer or AoEIII (not the graphics but game balance wise and good skirmish mode play)
March 24, 2006 3:52:14 PM

Not played Warhammer, and only played the demo for AoE3, BUT...

I preferred AoM to AoE3, but that's mainly due to the subject matter - I'm not especially interested in that period of history. And the units are all kinda the same. Plus, in AoM, you get the "God powers" which let you do some cool things (meteor shower hehehehe :twisted: )
March 24, 2006 6:10:11 PM

i am more looking for the future style of starcraft cus i dont like the past
March 24, 2006 6:43:45 PM

@llama

Man you are missing one of the best RTSs out there. Try warhammer!!!
March 24, 2006 7:23:54 PM

Quote:
i had starcaft a years or two ago then my bro got broodwar, but i managed to kill my pc :(  . I have just got my self a vary nice alienware gameing pc and i would like to know if there is any new starcraft or starcraft type games out at the moment plz :p 

Nope, oddly enough, in spite of the fact that StarCraft was/is the best-selling PC game ever, (the figures for The Sims were inflated to include expansion-pack sales, not just stand-alone sales) Blizzard has even yet to ANNOUNCE a sequel, 8 years later. However, the game is still wildly popular; millions still play it, and it also appears to be South Korea's official national sport.

Aside from that, I don't think you'll find anything quite like it, though Blizzard, since then, has made WarCraft III, and then World of WarCraft. Unfortuantely, since "WoW," they've decided to stop making more games, and sit on their 5-million-subscriber money pile.
March 27, 2006 12:17:44 AM

Whatever happend to Starcraft Ghost? It was supposed to be a FPS based on Starcraft right?
March 27, 2006 10:07:50 AM

8O Console?

So we PC users can look forward to a crummy port about a year later? Great.
March 27, 2006 11:24:53 AM

Actually even though the screenies look great I am not really looking forward to SC: Ghost. I am hoping for a SC 2. :cry: 
March 27, 2006 12:57:53 PM

Warhammer rocks, give 'er a go. You'll probably love it.
I haven't played in a while, but I remember the races being pretty different.
March 27, 2006 3:56:44 PM

Warhammer does sound fun, but I think I've got enough games on the go already...

1. My ever-expanding Empire in X3
2. Setting the league alight in Pro-Evo
3. Showing Fergie, Wenger and that Jose bloke how it's done in Champ Manager (I've just been appointed as England Manager - 8O )
4. Getting shot every 10 seconds in Battlefield 2
5. Galactic Civilizations II looks fun...

And by the time I've had enough of those, Caesar IV should be out...

It's a wonder I find time to eat / sleep / go to work!
March 27, 2006 4:58:55 PM

since you have a fast system I would recommend lord of the rings battle for middle earth II. I just came out and it is excellent. some of the best graphics in a RTS ive played. Next would Age of Empires III which I have also played.
March 27, 2006 8:30:47 PM

GalCivII is fun, but it's turn based.
March 27, 2006 9:43:02 PM

Quote:
GalCivII is fun, but it's turn based.

I know, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like turn-based games. It allows the game to pose really difficult strategic questions that you can have a good think about, rather than the RTS model of "he who remembers the hotkeys wins".

It also makes them ideal for post-pub all-night gaming sessions. I find my reactions tend to slow down a little at 6am after 6 pints and a few whiskies... :oops: 
March 27, 2006 11:05:10 PM

Yeah, I prefer the turn based games myself. More time to pore over the options. I get too flustered with the RTS. I like them, but I've never been any good at them.
BTW, how are you in peru and the UK?
March 28, 2006 10:08:36 AM

I'm physically in London but, in my alter-ego as Llamaman, my heart is in the Andes...
March 28, 2006 11:41:45 AM

Can you really projectile vomit all the way to Peru? :roll:
March 28, 2006 11:47:53 AM

If I could vomit up my heart I'd be quite concerned. 8O

Besides, llamas are known for spitting, not vomiting. :) 
March 28, 2006 12:49:23 PM

From the UK to the Andes, that must be some record holding aorta. :wink:
March 28, 2006 1:07:11 PM

A part in London, heart in the Andes……… I wonder where the rest of him is ?????
March 28, 2006 3:45:25 PM

8O :? 8O
March 29, 2006 6:11:55 AM

Quote:

1. Kohan 2: Kings of War is a fun and cheap RTS.
2. I believe Starcraft 2 is in the pipeworks.
3. The Total War series, while not purely RTS, are fun and enjoyable strategy games. Rome Total War in particular is worth a look and Medieval TW is coming soon.
March 30, 2006 9:09:40 AM

Sorry Llamaman couldn’t help myself :wink:
March 30, 2006 9:17:14 AM

Quote:

2. I believe Starcraft 2 is in the pipeworks.

When where how? This is great news! Any links?
March 30, 2006 4:26:43 PM

If you liked Starcraft (which was an awesome game), you probably would want to check out Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war.

As far as news about StarCraft:Ghost, Blizzard said that it would be console only (i.e. no PC port ever). Also, SC2 is not currently in the works, but there is a project going on to port StarCraft:BroodWar to the Warcraft III engine, and I must say it is quite beautiful (and faithful to the original BroodWar). The Project is still under developement and might take a little bit to complete, but it will serve as a nice hold over till SC2 is finally made. The name of this project is Project Revolution. Google for their website and check it out because thier artwork is AMAZING.

I loved StarCraft, so if you have tastes similar to mine, then other games you might enjoy that are RTS are:

Conquest: Frontier Wars
Homeworld & Homeworld 2
C&C Red Alert & Red Alert 2 (the expansions are cool too)
C&C Generals (but not the expansion)

As for any cool FPS to check out:
Half-life 2
Tribes and Tribes 2
Halo
FEAR
Quake 4

If the Project Revolution site is down, check again in a couple of days. They have a tendancy to have wierd server problems, but it is well worth the look if you are a StarCraft Fan. I hope my suggestions helped.

-Zorak
March 31, 2006 1:05:16 PM

Quote:
If you liked Starcraft (which was an awesome game), you probably would want to check out Warhammer 40k: Dawn of war.

Yeah a great game. The expansion spoiled the balance for me though.

Quote:
project going on to port StarCraft:BroodWar to the Warcraft III engine, and I must say it is quite beautiful (and faithful to the original BroodWar). The Project is still under developement and might take a little bit to complete, but it will serve as a nice hold over till SC2 is finally made. The name of this project is Project Revolution. Google for their website and check it out because thier artwork is AMAZING.

Check it but the site is down. I bookmarked it for later reference. Thanks for the info. Any DOA on this?
March 31, 2006 3:12:59 PM

I am sorry but they don't have any definative date of arrival information available about Project Revolution. I did speak to one of the guys who is on the programming team for that project and he said that they had made "significant progress", but I am not sure what that means. What i do know for sure is that they have already completed several models and animations, and when the site is back up, you should definately check it out. Also, some friends of mine at sclegacy.com (a StarCraft fansite - probably the most popular one anyways) are writting articles about Project Revolution in collaboration with some of the people on that team. There is a preliminary article over there which has a very nice picture of a 3D firebat (which is taken from the PR model) and the article promises to elaborate more sometime in the future (within a month or two i believe).
To find this article, go to sclegacy.com and on the right hand menu under updates, click on the Project revolution link. If any of you get the chance to check out this new "game" on their website, please do.

-Zorak
March 31, 2006 6:58:18 PM

Quote:

I loved StarCraft, so if you have tastes similar to mine, then other games you might enjoy that are RTS are:

Homeworld & Homeworld 2

Half-life 2
Tribes and Tribes 2
Halo
FEAR
Quake 4

You sir have some great taste in games.

Definitely try Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War. The original campaign was great. The original game was also very fun and had some good balance overall. The expansion broke things a bit but is still a lot of fun.

Also since some people mentioned Galciv2. BUY THIS GAME! SERIOUSLY BUY IT!!!

Galciv2 has no copy protection. None. This means it will work and no crappy DRM software will infect your system and/or prevent you from playing it. Encourage more companies to do this! Even regardless of this breath of fresh air, the game is fiendishly addictive and fun. It is everything MOO3 should have been.
March 31, 2006 7:10:05 PM

Quote:

Homeworld & Homeworld 2

Half-life 2
Tribes and Tribes 2
Halo
FEAR
Quake 4

You sir have some great taste in games.

Haha now I am flattered. Thank you very much. I've never played Master of Orion or any of the civilization games. I heard that Civ 3 and Civ 4 are pretty good, but since i've never played any of the Civs, do you think they are worth buying?

-Zorak
March 31, 2006 8:14:57 PM

Civ 4 is good. Lots of fun.

I wan't overly fond of Civ 3. Couldn't tell you why but somehow it just failed to get me excited. Civ 2 was wonderful but now it is severly dated.

If I had to reccomend a single Civ game to try it would be SMAC though.
Sid Meyer's Alpha Centaurii. That game is probably the single best game of the genre ever to come out. It is still fun today even though by today's standards it looks like bird crap.

Master of Orion 2 is probably the best space empire builder, but Galciv 2 is definitely the first competition it has had for that crown since it came out.
April 3, 2006 2:20:30 PM

iv got warhammer 40000 its a quality game i also found starcraft had to buy it nothing will ever beat it
April 6, 2006 10:04:25 PM

I can not believe that nobody mentioned it in this thread (or I need glasses)

WARCRAFT 3 is the game that you want!!! It has varaity between races (as in Starcraft), it is fast paced (as Starcraft), it is huge online success (as Starcraft) it has good story (as ... you can guess by now). It also has expansion "The Frozen Throne".

My second choice for you is W40K: Down of War (DoW) + expansion, but only if you like online gaming and skirmishes, because single player is not stellar there. The sides are not that different there as in Starcraft, but different enough to play. And you have 4 sides +1 from expansion.

There are other good and innovative games that you may be interested, Kohan (even the first one, then expansion) and Kohan 2, Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology (the only Age-like game that I can recommend). If you like science fiction (you may if you like Starcraft) then may be Homeworld series is for you, which is RTS in space. That's probably the most innovative RTS games since Starcraft, there are many others, but these should be enough to start with.
I myself am waiting for Rise of Legends - game created by the same team as Rise of Nations, but in very interesting setting (magic vs. technology), and very different sides. It should be out in May
April 7, 2006 2:12:05 PM

You seem 2 b to only person who liked the expansion to warhammer 40k. I have to admit that I haven’t tried it online, only in skirmish mode.
April 7, 2006 3:11:43 PM

I actually do not think that there is much difference in gameplay for W40K and its expansion. I mentioned expansion for the case if you like the game and want more of it, then you can get the expansion. It just adds another race, slightly modifies existing races, and adds better single player campaign. But even the improved campaign of the expansion is not the strongest point of the game. Online and skirmishes are.

And yes, if you play skirmish you need to download and install the Down of Skirmish mod, which significantly improves AI, and the latest versions of that mod are for the expansion - another reason to buy expansion. The mod is available from the official forums (the mod section)
April 7, 2006 3:15:18 PM

I also would like to add, that for single player I prefer myself Warcraft 3, but for multiplayer I prefer DoW. May be because I suck in W3 multiplayer :) .

But in any case, if a person liked Starcraft, and did not play W3, he has to get it. It is a classic game and any RTS player should play it once.
April 7, 2006 8:53:34 PM

I am affraid I will have to disagree with you about WC3, MxM. As someone who liked StarCraft, there certainly was some appeal to me to get WC3. Ultimately I did get the game ( I had played it a few times before and thought I liked it) but ultimately, the allure of beautiful graphics and another RTS by Blizzard wore off after a few months. The gameplay of WC3 just isn't close enough for it to hold my attention (here I am playing SC 8 years after its release whereas my WC3 disk gathers dust after just months of play). Its not that its a good game, its just that the style is radically shifted. For example: the limit of only 90 supplies for your whole army, and everything has a rediculous amount of hitpoints, and the emphasis is purely on heros. As a result, there is a lot of micromanagement that must be done, ( I like micro, but not that much) and it is more of a chore than anything else b/c its pretty easy to recover, as a result I never really felt that I was getting anywhere.

Ultimately its just a matter of taste, and it is up to the guy who started the thread to check it out, but I feel i should give a fair warning that alot of people who liked StarCraft didn't like WC3 that much. Oh, and the reason I like DOW despite its style being RADICALLY different from SC was because it was something new, rather than something that was close, but not close enough for cigar dispensation...

I don't know if i already mentioned these above, but you guys should also try the Homeworld series since they are pretty cool.

-Zorak
April 8, 2006 4:36:40 AM

Yeah, I have mentioned Homeworld. And I personally agree with everything you just said. I also like Starcraft and W40K more than WC3. However, you have to admit that WC3 is extremely popular and have stood test of time. So, without knowing too much about a person, who liked Starcraft, I do recommend WC3 before DoW, becasse DoW is only my personal choice and WC3 is the choice of most of the gamers (just judging by the popularity of online games, and the single player is definitely much better in WC3)
April 11, 2006 3:25:43 PM

Bleh, I hated Warcraft 3. The story was great, the gameplay was ok, but the upkeep system just annoyed the hell out of me. It was a huge dissapointment to me after Starcraft.

I played all the way through the campaign once and by the time I was finished the only reason I kept going was to finish the plot. The gameplay had gotten on my nerves so bad that I never wanted to play it again.

Warhammer DOW was thoroughly enjoyable to me. Good story and characters, awesome gameplay, and fun units. It has some serious balance issues (especially after the expansion) and the expansion's plot was dissapointing after the first (it isn't a continuation and it should have been).

The main problem with balance is that the orkz and eldar have MUCH slower learning curves than space marines and chaos. They just require much more micromanagement and attention.

They are still fun to play though and the AI is mean so you can have a good challenge with multiplayer comp stomping, which was what I enjoyed most about starcraft.
April 11, 2006 4:20:07 PM

I do miss the nukes of Starcraft. AoE3 just doesn't give me the same feeling when I play friends. The eye candy is good but the game play is slow. In SC the game play was so only due to battles and once you got the base and guys it was all over. In AoE3 if they have a person left like the hero running around they are still alive and you have to find them on a massive map.
April 11, 2006 5:20:30 PM

Quote:
I do miss the nukes of Starcraft. AoE3 just doesn't give me the same feeling when I play friends. The eye candy is good but the game play is slow. In SC the game play was so only due to battles and once you got the base and guys it was all over. In AoE3 if they have a person left like the hero running around they are still alive and you have to find them on a massive map.

Well, computer players surrender once you've kicked their butt sufficiently, and a half-intelligent human player will do the same (no point dragging out a game you've already lost).

If you're REALLY having problem finding the last guy, AoE2 had an "espionage" research that revealed all the enemy's units, making it easy to track them down - did they remove that from AoE3?
April 12, 2006 10:27:13 AM

@llama
It is there in AOE3. They haven’t taken it out.
April 12, 2006 10:29:53 AM

Quote:
I do miss the nukes of Starcraft.

Man the nuking was fun……….
My personal joy was sending infected marines at the enemy
:twisted:
April 12, 2006 6:23:42 PM

I think some of the most gratifying feelings in starcraft come from kicking your opponents ass with a relatively cheap group of marines and medics and hearing that delightful "Nuclear Missile Ready" announcement. :D 

-Zorak
April 13, 2006 12:31:26 PM

I normally played zerg so whenever I saw the red dot it was panic stations for me.
April 13, 2006 4:07:07 PM

:D  Yeah - there was nothing quite like scrambling to find the dot, then trying to kill the ghost before the missile launched, while simultaneously trying to clear out your units to a safe distance - loads of fun!
!