Connecting an ATX MB to an AT power supply?

qnerd

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
I recently discovered that my county surpluses their older computer equipment. I was thinking I might be able to save the landfill some space and toxins by updating the systems with the all-in-on MBs with video/sound/modem and giving them to nieces and nephews. All of the MBs I have seen as of late use the ATX power supplies. Is there a wiring harness converter or are their newer MBs that use the AT power supplies?

qnerd

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
My primary objective is to reduce the load on the local land-fill and help out schools and people needing computers. These surplus computers are 1995/1996 P90-160. Something as little as a Duron/All-in-one MB would take care of their needs and keep a few cubic feet of toxic waste out of the land-fills.

qnerd

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
Many of these computers do not come with video not to mention sound/modem/lan. Basic video cards are around $35, non-winmodems are about $40 (required for slower processor), sound cards are about $20 and a lan card critical for school systems is about $20, and I'm guessing a P233 is about $25. That sums to $140, about the same cost as an all-in-on MB + 1Gig Celeron.

A new case only costs $25 but a primary goal is to reduce unnecessary usage of land-fill space.

Another issue with the processor upgrade is that I doubt these MBs would run at 233MHz. I'll have to buy one on eBay and try increasing the frequency (no documentation at all).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lucent 1646 modems are $15 or less and work on everything. Souncards are $5 used. All computers have video unless the card was removed, otherwise a 2MB PCI card goes for less than $10. That's a total of $30. Add a $20 CPU and it's at $50. I refurbish computers for a living!
All Pentium computers capable of supporting a Pentium 100 will also support the Pentium 233MMX, except a few compaqs. The Pentium 100 setting of 1.5x66.6 is interpreted as 3.5x66.6 by the CPU. Single voltage boards make the CPU run hot, requiring an additional $3 basic fan cooler.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cases are usually made of Steel, you can actually get paid for the value of the steel at a salvage yard, if the systems are non-upgradable, leaving you with a useless motherboard to scrap.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?