brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
1) Walking speed still too slow. Put caps lock on, run everywhere, "run" speed looks like a good brisk walk. (It does improve much more quickly than Morrowind did, though -- by level 2, it's bearable).
2) Game world a bit sparsely populated. Walk around, look at the pretty scenery. Then walk some more. Oh, look there's a wolf. Kill wolf, take pelt. Walk some more.
3) Interiors need more light. My gamma settings are fine. Outside, daytime, fantastic. Inside a cave, pretty much OK, need a torch or light spell for some situations. Inside a hotel or other building ... nearly pitch black. Where's the door? Where's the stairs? Oh wait, let me light a torch.
4) Ugly frog people. The new face generation system is a disappointment. Most of the people look like they have the mumps. Most all the human population look like they were "beaten with a bat at birth," as another poster put it. Even the young maidens look like they got hit with an ugly stick.
5) Weather system still irritating. Can't hardly walk anywhere for long without it starting to rain. Occasional rain, great. Raining every freakin' time I get out on the road, tiresome.

Edit: This is a top 5 list, not top 10, because I really can't think of 10 things I would change or improve. Despite the above, I am really enjoying the game and am looking forward to a punishing 10-hour gaming session Saturday (8 a.m. to 6 p.m. then out the door for the night!)

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Yeah, once I got a list of all the cheat commands from a modding website and figured out how to use the cheat console, Morrowind became a completely different game.
I'm trying really hard not to do that this time, so I can have the "normal" game experience -- although, I did use the TES Construction Set to place a magic sword and some armor in a convenient spot for my battlemage to find; and I used the additem command to give him 10,000 gold coins; and I used the unlock command to open a really hard door when I got frustrated; and ... oh crap, I'm doing it again!

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I got my stuff 'fairly' in Morrowind: once you figure out how to enchant items and find the appropriate trainers...but all those things I read on the Internet, not figured out myself.

Once I get Oblivion, I'll try to avoid the temptation to look those types of things up.

G

Oh comeon. Stop complaining and just play the game. It's great and there really is nothing worth bitching about. (It's a game that runs fine without patch right?)

EdwardTheLess

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
1. "You must learn to walk before you can run"

You can of course just cheat and set your speed to 200 :wink:

Or you can load yourself down with 1 stone too much then run in a big circle jumping and casting a weak healing spell on yourself so you can raise your speed, acrobatics, athletics, and restoration all at the same time......good thing Oblivion is not the real world or you would look stupid doing that! :lol:

2. Mod space :D

3. Enchant something you use with "Light". Check too see if you have HDR or Bloom on.

4. Wait for Rhedd or someone else to make a mod to improve faces/body.

5. You can force it to be sunny all the time with a console command. Tweakguides.com has a long list of console commands in the Oblivion Tech Help thread. The site might be down while he moves it and the fourms to a more powerful server so check back if it's not up. Plenty of .ini tweaks there too.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I'm trying really hard not to do that this time, so I can have the "normal" game experience -- although, I did use the TES Construction Set to place a magic sword and some armor in a convenient spot for my battlemage to find; and I used the additem command to give him 10,000 gold coins; and I used the unlock command to open a really hard door when I got frustrated; and ... oh crap, I'm doing it again!

LOL, thats how it all starts.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Oblivion has just pushed me over the line.

I buy games that are worth buying like fear, hl2, (and I thought Oblivion) ect. without question, but on games I’m not too sure I will like, I download it to check it out. The surprising thing is that I never have had a problem with my pc when installing or playing these games, but with the exception of 1 game (fear), I have always had problems with games that I have bought.

With Oblivion I had to boot into safe mode to uninstall it so I could get my pc to boot normally, then use some means of questionable legality to get the d@mn game to work!

So in my experience legally owned games are just a huge hassle and I don’t want to mess with it anymore.

As for those games I do download, I have yet to get one that I like enough to buy and yet to ever keep one for more that a few hours of game play before getting rid of it because its not even worth playing it for free. But sadly that is soon to change, I do want to support the gaming industry, but not when they treat there loyal customers like common thieves and worthless trash.

I know this isn’t exactly a complaint that brainysmurf was talking about but it is more annoying than any of the ones he listed, and it could very well kill the gaming industry if its not fix soon, hell its already severely crippled it.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
No, I just use that name because mine is always taken already. You would be surprised to know that just samir is taken quite often too.

BTW If you have seen the movie Office Space, (the funniest damn movie ever I recommend watching it especially if you work in an office building or in the IT field), anyway one of the actors in that move plays an Indian guy by that name, and I thought well that name prolly isn’t taken a whole lot, so I use it for everything when my name is taken or I want to remain anonymous. That and no one can pronounce it; get some funny stuff over it
(Pronounced sa-mear na-ee-ah-na-jaad, just watch the damn movie)

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Yes that movie is the greatest. I've watch it everytime its on and I never get tired of it.
"Samir naga nagga notgonna work here anymore." From your friends, the 2 Bobs.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Oblivion has just pushed me over the line.

I buy games that are worth buying like fear, hl2, (and I thought Oblivion) ect. without question, but on games I’m not too sure I will like, I download it to check it out. The surprising thing is that I never have had a problem with my pc when installing or playing these games, but with the exception of 1 game (fear), I have always had problems with games that I have bought.

With Oblivion I had to boot into safe mode to uninstall it so I could get my pc to boot normally, then use some means of questionable legality to get the d@mn game to work!

So in my experience legally owned games are just a huge hassle and I don’t want to mess with it anymore.

As for those games I do download, I have yet to get one that I like enough to buy and yet to ever keep one for more that a few hours of game play before getting rid of it because its not even worth playing it for free. But sadly that is soon to change, I do want to support the gaming industry, but not when they treat there loyal customers like common thieves and worthless trash.

I know this isn’t exactly a complaint that brainysmurf was talking about but it is more annoying than any of the ones he listed, and it could very well kill the gaming industry if its not fix soon, hell its already severely crippled it.
Have you ever relised there is only 2 things in commen with the games and the problems.... You and your what looks to be ballzed up PC.... Befor you start saying it's the games and more so the ones you buy that are the problem actualy sort out your PC problems first!

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
"Not now Lumbar, I'm kind of busy. Actually, I have a meeting with the Bobs in a few minutes so if you could just come back later I'd appreciate it. Thanks." [/derail]