otto56

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I've just finished reading some bad things about this CD-ROM drive. I am wondering if any of you have used this drive and what have your experiences been with it? Also along that same line of thought, I've also heard from friends that the 56X drives are breaking down and was advised to go with a 52X for reliability.

I am planning to sign up for a 'Build your Own Computer' class in august and thought I had better start doing my homework early.

I've never had a use for any kind of burner so I would appreciate not hearing about that as an option. I have played with the idea of a DVD drive of late, however they seem to be slower in my main mission of getting programs installed on my HDs.

I am intrigued by the slower RPMs required by the Kenwood 72X, but I've read several user reviews as well as forums that simply HATE this wonderful sounding addition to my plans.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge base with me...;-)

Otto Freischer

There once was a man from Nantucket...

otto56

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Sorry guys, but apparently I have this particular thread shortcutted to my desktop. It most probably should've appeared in the CD-ROM thread...:-(

There once was a man from Nantucket...

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
That sounds like the one I got close to two years ago, think it used some kind of red light or something. I shortly sent it back after getting it. It wouldn't read all the time, not sure what other problems I had with it, since it was so long ago. About all I can say is I wouldn't recommend getting it.

i have it and i've had it RMA'd 3 times and it still doesn't work. I just gave up... don't waste your money like i have.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i never really checked into them, but they scored the highest, especialy in dae. as for the best cd rom, in my book, plextor makes the best. but plextor only has scsi cd readers. a budget cd rom is the creative 52x. i have used several, no problems. i would not recomend them for audio ripping though, they have a max dae of 8x.

you shot who in the what now?

G

Sorry to here the problem your having, but here is a bit of help !

First off I have the 48max and scores around the others of about a 58x.

Second is the drive is able to handle DMA, but there is problems with BM drivers and DMA used on this drive and even with normal driver there still is problems with reading disk not to mention it slows it down for some reason.

I never had any problems running on ATA 33 without DMA enabled and using BM, but this is also the 48X Max version so either the changes in the light wave or the beam bit stream change could also effect it and might be a common problem.

Also as any good helpful would suggest is check in your computer list by right clicking on "My Computer" in win 98 or how you do it in what you have as a OS and check your CD-ROM settings and makesure your DMA is uncheck and also start with the setting in your profile to see if it is set right like 4x or more with cache at max and see if that helps.

A computer built with some performace in mind will give you 10% more bang for your bulk s (ºoº)