cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Crytek has been working on a new game due out later this year. I saw some demos earlier that were pretty good. But the latest one that I just downloaded yesterday on gamespot looks amazing. I saw an interview with the editor of PC Gamer of something like that, he was able to play it and said it will be one of the best games released this year. From what I saw on the trailer at gamespot he might be right. Just like FarCry came out of nowhere this will do the same.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/index.html?q=crysis

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
In the interview on gamespot they claim it will ship this winter. But with Vista being pushed back and this game takes advantage of vista and DX10, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't push it back.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I saw the clip yesterday, and I agree. It's amazing stuff. Looks great and maybe one day I can afford the hardware to play it.
I really liked FarCry. Bit weak on the story, the silly monkeys weren't the best creature in the world, but other than that it was great. I always found myself using the RMB trying to zoom in a bit on other games. Why didn't Doom3 do that?
Anyway, I'm excited to see it, but I also suspect it won't be until 2007.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
They say that the game can take advantage of directX10 which will ship with vista. They say it will still be very impressive even without all the dx10 features. I think they might push it back to launch with vista. But you never know I sure they want in on the chirstmas buying this year. If I had to guess they will launch in November and allow vista download updates.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I don't suppose they're going to restrict DX10 to Vista only? They'll probably sync the release of DX10 with Vista, but they should not get away with limiting DX10 to Vista. I don't think the big gfx card vendors would like that.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
As of right now the official MSWord is that DX10 is a Vista only experience. They need something to get us to buy it. I mean, other than DX10, what else does it have? I'm happy with XP as it is.
Another sad note is that MS will also be releasing Halo2 as DX10 compatible only, meaning it will only play on Vista machines. Pretty retarded, since I don't think anyone will care about Halo2 by then.
Other thing about the Halo thing is that the first one was a great xbox game, but one the PC it was perhaps mediocre at best. Most ports from console to PC just dont' work, which is why I'm a bit nervous about Oblivion, despite all the glowing reviews.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I did love Blood Gulch on Halo. We used to play that in our office, 4 of us at our old job would play accross the network in a LAN game on our lunch.
As for DX10 I would be surprised to not see it available for XP. Unless for some reason they made it uncompatible, which sounds par for the course.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Here's a bit from Gamespots recent interview with Chris Donahue:

8O
"Direct3D10 finally completes the break from the legacy fixed-function pipeline. Developers will use the programmable pipeline to emulate the older, fixed-function steps. Additionally, Microsoft had to rethink its display driver model now that the entire desktop is going 3D. The video card isn't just for games anymore. When you have a 3D desktop and give each application its own 3D window, the display driver has to be flexible and stable enough to handle the video card's increased role in the system. Microsoft split up the display driver to increase stability, to ensure that the 3D desktop stays up in the event that a game or another application crashes due to a graphics error. This change also means that Microsoft will not release DirectX 10 for Windows XP, because many of the Direct3D10 improvements will need the new Windows Vista Display Driver Model."
8O

briteball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
that doesn't make any sense what about games that require DX10 to play??

that will mean if you want to play a certain game you will need to have Vista

and if that happens consumers will not like that?? might as well go and buy an xbox or whatever.. every 2-3 yrs

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
It makes perfect sense if you're releasing a new OS and want it to sell. Force the gaming population to upgrade. The mighty shaft, FTW.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I'm a pretty fanatical gamer, but over my dead body will I buy a Vista copy just so I can play the newest games on the same hardware. I'll stick to the games that will also run on XP, until I'm ready for a major system upgrade or a new rig, which is also the moment I consider upgrading the OS.

So that's just going to be the loss of those developers/publishers that will develop for Vista exclusively. If the majority of gamers is like that (and I'm guessing that's the case) then we'll see how this one will fly with M$. Developers and publishers will not be amused by this, that much is for sure.

Also I do not think hardware vendors are really glad because this M$ strategy may change gamer upgrade behavior. If this is going to be a continuing strategy then I'll adapt my buying strategy to going for older components so that I can upgrade more frequently without paying shitloads for initial hw releases. Again, if this is going to be a bigger trent with consumers then this will create quite a different margin picture for hardware vendors as well.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Well, that's pretty much my opinion on the whole thing, too. But, I'm not really a fanatical gamer anymore. Usedtocould, but not anymore.
I think a lot of people will be willing to make the upgrade, though I like to think that Halo2 won't be an influence in their decision.
And it won't be the same ol' hardware either. Ever tried playing a dx9 game on a dx8 card? Doesn't look too nice.
Anyway, $$=power and mightyshaft has plenty of it.
Other than dx10, can anyone think of a reason to upgrade from xp? XP is stable for weeks, is secure enough if you take the right precautions, and really doesn't take that long to boot. My machine is pretty aged and xp boots in ~60secs.
I think this is where a lot of people are, especially the lucrative corporate sector. Mightyshaft needs something to make these people upgrade.
Of course, they might just upgrade to Linux after this crap. :D

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I have Linux SuSE 10.0 running on one machine. Although I really like it and it has been the best distro that I have used to far. It still lacks the the user friendliness of Windows. Of course that is part of Windows exploits. If they could just smoothen out the program installations and get broadcom wireless working without having to use all these work arounds with windows drivers, I would run it exclusively on my laptop.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I recently put the SUSE 10 on a machine, too. I like it, but the installation of things is a pain in the :oops:. I though I'd try and make the switch officially but the heaps of confusion when just trying to install things has really turned me off to using it exclusively.

TRENDING THREADS