Netgear WG511 and WPA AES?

Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.

Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about netgear wg511

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:22:21 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
    >WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
    >WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.

    I used 2.5.0.2 for a week and got WPA working okay but after a few
    days I found I was being assigned a very strange IP address by the
    router and could not access any resources. Suspicious that it was not
    authenticating properly I deleted the key and re-entered it - which
    solved the problem.

    I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
    upgraded to this and have had no problems since.

    > Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
    >(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
    >been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.

    Well I've just pieced back together my Win98SE workstation as a
    secondary box so I've not had the joy of connecting that to the
    network. The WG511 seems to be a reasonably well behaved bit of kit
    but its sibling the WG311v2 is more of an issue. I think I'll buy a
    WG311T, which seems to be better supported by Netgear and put that in
    the main box.

    Does your router or AP support WPA w/AES? Currently, I am using the
    Netgear WG511T card with a Belkin F5D7230-4 router. Because the
    WG511T and the F5D7230-4 support it, I have enabled WPA-PSK (AES)
    encryption without any problems. Works like a charm.

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:30:44 +0100, Simon Pleasants
    <plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:22:21 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    ><®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
    >>WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
    >>WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.
    >
    >I used 2.5.0.2 for a week and got WPA working okay but after a few
    >days I found I was being assigned a very strange IP address by the
    >router and could not access any resources. Suspicious that it was not
    >authenticating properly I deleted the key and re-entered it - which
    >solved the problem.
    >
    >I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
    >upgraded to this and have had no problems since.
    >
    >> Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
    >>(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
    >>been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.
    >
    >Well I've just pieced back together my Win98SE workstation as a
    >secondary box so I've not had the joy of connecting that to the
    >network. The WG511 seems to be a reasonably well behaved bit of kit
    >but its sibling the WG311v2 is more of an issue. I think I'll buy a
    >WG311T, which seems to be better supported by Netgear and put that in
    >the main box.

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:28:32 GMT, Doug Jamal
    <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Does your router or AP support WPA w/AES? Currently, I am using the
    >Netgear WG511T card with a Belkin F5D7230-4 router. Because the
    >WG511T and the F5D7230-4 support it, I have enabled WPA-PSK (AES)
    >encryption without any problems. Works like a charm.

    The router supports WPA-PSK and WPA 802.1x but I use the former, like
    you. My PCMCIA card is the older WG511 but is largely okay. I have
    far more problems with the PCI card (WG311v2). The v2 variant seems
    to be the forgotten card as both the WG311 and the WG311T support
    WPA-PSK in the Netgear GUI and have full support for limited user
    accounts in XP. The WG311v2 has neither, hence I can see myself
    likely to move this card to the older Win98SE box, which will only be
    attached to the network periodically and buy a WG311T to put in the XP
    box which will shortly be going permanently onto the wireless
    connection.

    Taking a moment's reflection, Simon Pleasants mused:

    | I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
    | upgraded to this and have had no problems since.

    Is that with WPA TKIP or WPA AES? There appears to be no setting in
    Netgear's drivers for this. But, when I set my AP to use AES, the WG511
    (not the T version) cannot connect ... suggesting AES is not supported.

Connection Netgear Drivers Wireless Networking