Netgear WG511 and WPA AES?

Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.

Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.

TIA

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:22:21 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
<®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:

> Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
>WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
>WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.

I used 2.5.0.2 for a week and got WPA working okay but after a few
days I found I was being assigned a very strange IP address by the
router and could not access any resources. Suspicious that it was not
authenticating properly I deleted the key and re-entered it - which
solved the problem.

I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
upgraded to this and have had no problems since.

> Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
>(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
>been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.

Well I've just pieced back together my Win98SE workstation as a
secondary box so I've not had the joy of connecting that to the
network. The WG511 seems to be a reasonably well behaved bit of kit
but its sibling the WG311v2 is more of an issue. I think I'll buy a
WG311T, which seems to be better supported by Netgear and put that in
the main box.

Does your router or AP support WPA w/AES? Currently, I am using the
Netgear WG511T card with a Belkin F5D7230-4 router. Because the
WG511T and the F5D7230-4 support it, I have enabled WPA-PSK (AES)
encryption without any problems. Works like a charm.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:30:44 +0100, Simon Pleasants
<plesbit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:22:21 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
><®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten the later drivers (2.5.0.2 and 2.7.0.0) that support
>>WPA to work with AES? So far, I can only connect with TKIP. So, I am using
>>WPC's WPA Assistant to connect with AES.
>
>I used 2.5.0.2 for a week and got WPA working okay but after a few
>days I found I was being assigned a very strange IP address by the
>router and could not access any resources. Suspicious that it was not
>authenticating properly I deleted the key and re-entered it - which
>solved the problem.
>
>I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
>upgraded to this and have had no problems since.
>
>> Also, anyone get these later drivers to connect with WPA under Win98SE
>>(dual boot 2000/98)? Seems only WEP works under 98. Netgear support has
>>been unresponsive since they asked for my system specs.
>
>Well I've just pieced back together my Win98SE workstation as a
>secondary box so I've not had the joy of connecting that to the
>network. The WG511 seems to be a reasonably well behaved bit of kit
>but its sibling the WG311v2 is more of an issue. I think I'll buy a
>WG311T, which seems to be better supported by Netgear and put that in
>the main box.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:28:32 GMT, Doug Jamal
<unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does your router or AP support WPA w/AES? Currently, I am using the
>Netgear WG511T card with a Belkin F5D7230-4 router. Because the
>WG511T and the F5D7230-4 support it, I have enabled WPA-PSK (AES)
>encryption without any problems. Works like a charm.

The router supports WPA-PSK and WPA 802.1x but I use the former, like
you. My PCMCIA card is the older WG511 but is largely okay. I have
far more problems with the PCI card (WG311v2). The v2 variant seems
to be the forgotten card as both the WG311 and the WG311T support
WPA-PSK in the Netgear GUI and have full support for limited user
accounts in XP. The WG311v2 has neither, hence I can see myself
likely to move this card to the older Win98SE box, which will only be
attached to the network periodically and buy a WG311T to put in the XP
box which will shortly be going permanently onto the wireless
connection.

Taking a moment's reflection, Simon Pleasants mused:

| I then discovered that 2.7.0.0 had been released. I therefore
| upgraded to this and have had no problems since.

Is that with WPA TKIP or WPA AES? There appears to be no setting in
Netgear's drivers for this. But, when I set my AP to use AES, the WG511
(not the T version) cannot connect ... suggesting AES is not supported.