Remote Procedure Call

I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am
having some fairly serious problems with my computer.
Every few minutes, I get a message saying that the remote
procedure call has terminated unexpectedly, and the
system shuts itself down. If you can help at all, it
would be much appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about remote procedure call

    There are thousands of nasty computer viruses/worms looking for unprotected
    computers. Your computer can be infected within a few milliseconds the moment
    an internet connection is established if your computer is not properly secured.

    Apparently, your computer is now infected with the W32.Blaster.Worm or one of its variants.
    This happened because you have not been using an internet connection firewall and have
    apparently neglected to install the critical updates available at the Windows Update website.

    If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
    or reboot, quickly go to:

    Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    This opens the Command Prompt window.

    Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

    This should halt the rebooting problem.

    Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:

    Special note if you use AOL:

    America Online installs its own connection settings that override
    the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
    connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows XP's
    built-in firewall.

    Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
    a FREE firewall program for your computer.

    Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from computers
    that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

    MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS Could Allow
    an Attacker to Run Malicious Programs

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Aimee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am
    | having some fairly serious problems with my computer.
    | Every few minutes, I get a message saying that the remote
    | procedure call has terminated unexpectedly, and the
    | system shuts itself down. If you can help at all, it
    | would be much appreciated.

    Hi Aimee,

    When the shutdown warning appears, click start/run and enter "shutdown -a"
    to halt the process. It's a virus called blaster or lovesan. Information:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rpc
    http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100499.htm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html
    http://www.bigblackglasses.com/Article.aspx?Article=342

    You need the patch described here to protect against it:

    MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS Could Allow an Attacker to Run Malicious
    Programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146

    Problem is, you needed to install the patch BEFORE you got infected to avoid
    it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Aimee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am
    > having some fairly serious problems with my computer.
    > Every few minutes, I get a message saying that the remote
    > procedure call has terminated unexpectedly, and the
    > system shuts itself down. If you can help at all, it
    > would be much appreciated.

    Aimee:
    Sounds like the Blaster worm. Check this link...
    "W32.BLASTER.WORM"
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/blaster.htm
    --
    randwulf57

    "Aimee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know if anyone here can help with this, but I am
    > having some fairly serious problems with my computer.
    > Every few minutes, I get a message saying that the remote
    > procedure call has terminated unexpectedly, and the
    > system shuts itself down. If you can help at all, it
    > would be much appreciated.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP