peter

Familiarity breeds contempt. I have created so many sub-folders
over the years that I let my mind wander and I accidentally created
a "New Briefcase". In case it is relevant the OS is XP-Pro and I
was working on a partition used exclusively for storage.

I cannot delete it because it has a system file in it. Help doesn't
help as far as removal is concerned. The Resource Kit Documentation
book and CD do not index it.

I renamed the folder in the hope that this would give me an invalid
registry entry to delete. No success using RegSupreme which is a
trusted tool.

Please someone, please tell me how to get rid of the New Briefcase
folder! TIA.

Peter

What is a system file. Briefcases can be deleted with file with the system attribute set. If you moved an open program then you get a message saying (press Ctrl + C to copy message boxes to the clipboard - first part is the text in title bar)
---------------------------
Error Deleting File or Folder
---------------------------
Cannot delete TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Which does not mention system file.
http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Peter" <please.reply@to.this.ng> wrote in message news:0pd3701251sdcfvgps17mbeklber2o96ie@4ax.com...
> Familiarity breeds contempt. I have created so many sub-folders
> over the years that I let my mind wander and I accidentally created
> a "New Briefcase". In case it is relevant the OS is XP-Pro and I
> was working on a partition used exclusively for storage.
>
> I cannot delete it because it has a system file in it. Help doesn't
> help as far as removal is concerned. The Resource Kit Documentation
> book and CD do not index it.
>
> I renamed the folder in the hope that this would give me an invalid
> registry entry to delete. No success using RegSupreme which is a
> trusted tool.
>
> Please someone, please tell me how to get rid of the New Briefcase
> folder! TIA.
>
> Peter

peter

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 05:57:32 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
wrote:

>What is a system file. Briefcases can be deleted with file with the system attribute set.
> If you moved an open program then you get a message saying (press Ctrl + C to copy
>message boxes to the clipboard - first part is the text in title bar)
>---------------------------
>Error Deleting File or Folder
>---------------------------
>Cannot delete TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe: Access is denied.
>
>Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
>and that the file is not currently in use.
>---------------------------
>OK
>---------------------------
>
>Which does not mention system file.

David, thank you for replying so quickly. I think that I must be
going off (Well I know that I am being long in the tooth) but I
cannot follow what you have said. Could you possibly give step by
step instructions? Perhaps a good starting point would be how to
close Briefcase. When I try to delete it I am told that I have to
close it first. Sorry to be so thick. TIA.

Peter

You can't delete a folder if you are looking at the contents of that folder in another window.

When you get a message box. Press Ctrl + C which will copy the text of that message box to the clipboard. You can then paste it (Ctrl + V) in the message so we can see the exact message.

"Peter" <please.reply@to.this.ng> wrote in message news:dmm370hfj0tiqdqjaiid6dkgba515pla6n@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 05:57:32 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >What is a system file. Briefcases can be deleted with file with the system attribute set.
> > If you moved an open program then you get a message saying (press Ctrl + C to copy
> >message boxes to the clipboard - first part is the text in title bar)
> >---------------------------
> >Error Deleting File or Folder
> >---------------------------
> >Cannot delete TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe: Access is denied.
> >
> >Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
> >and that the file is not currently in use.
> >---------------------------
> >OK
> >---------------------------
> >
> >Which does not mention system file.
>
> David, thank you for replying so quickly. I think that I must be
> going off (Well I know that I am being long in the tooth) but I
> cannot follow what you have said. Could you possibly give step by
> step instructions? Perhaps a good starting point would be how to
> close Briefcase. When I try to delete it I am told that I have to
> close it first. Sorry to be so thick. TIA.
>
> Peter

peter

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:50:48 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
wrote:

>You can't delete a folder if you are looking at the contents of that folder in another window.
>
>When you get a message box. Press Ctrl + C which will copy the text of that message box to the clipboard.
>You can then paste it (Ctrl + V) in the message so we can see the exact message.

David, thanks again for a rapid reply. Sadly I still cannot delete
the "New Briefcase" sub-folder.

Internet Explorer - Drive G: - Folder with "New Briefcase" -
sub-folder.
Highlight "New Briefcase" sub-folder.
Right click for drop-down menu.
Select and left click Delete.
Message:- Confirm deletion? Click Yes.
Message:- "New Briefcase" cannot be deleted until it is closed.

This brings me back to the last part of my last request for help.
How do I close "New Briefcase"? The Contol-C and Control-V routine
simply gives me the window message but in simple text form.

Your time difference suggests that you may be on the East coast of
Australia. By a curious coincidence my son is that way for a couple
of weeks of business plus a chunk of annual holiday.

Peter