New Briefcase - Removal

Familiarity breeds contempt. I have created so many sub-folders
over the years that I let my mind wander and I accidentally created
a "New Briefcase". In case it is relevant the OS is XP-Pro and I
was working on a partition used exclusively for storage.

I cannot delete it because it has a system file in it. Help doesn't
help as far as removal is concerned. The Resource Kit Documentation
book and CD do not index it.

I renamed the folder in the hope that this would give me an invalid
registry entry to delete. No success using RegSupreme which is a
trusted tool.

Please someone, please tell me how to get rid of the New Briefcase
folder! TIA.

Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about briefcase removal

    What is a system file. Briefcases can be deleted with file with the system attribute set. If you moved an open program then you get a message saying (press Ctrl + C to copy message boxes to the clipboard - first part is the text in title bar)
    ---------------------------
    Error Deleting File or Folder
    ---------------------------
    Cannot delete TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe: Access is denied.

    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    Which does not mention system file.
    http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 05:57:32 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >What is a system file. Briefcases can be deleted with file with the system attribute set.
    > If you moved an open program then you get a message saying (press Ctrl + C to copy
    >message boxes to the clipboard - first part is the text in title bar)
    >---------------------------
    >Error Deleting File or Folder
    >---------------------------
    >Cannot delete TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe: Access is denied.
    >
    >Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    >and that the file is not currently in use.
    >---------------------------
    >OK
    >---------------------------
    >
    >Which does not mention system file.

    David, thank you for replying so quickly. I think that I must be
    going off (Well I know that I am being long in the tooth) but I
    cannot follow what you have said. Could you possibly give step by
    step instructions? Perhaps a good starting point would be how to
    close Briefcase. When I try to delete it I am told that I have to
    close it first. Sorry to be so thick. TIA.

    Peter

    You can't delete a folder if you are looking at the contents of that folder in another window.

    When you get a message box. Press Ctrl + C which will copy the text of that message box to the clipboard. You can then paste it (Ctrl + V) in the message so we can see the exact message.

    On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:50:48 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >You can't delete a folder if you are looking at the contents of that folder in another window.
    >
    >When you get a message box. Press Ctrl + C which will copy the text of that message box to the clipboard.
    >You can then paste it (Ctrl + V) in the message so we can see the exact message.

    David, thanks again for a rapid reply. Sadly I still cannot delete
    the "New Briefcase" sub-folder.

    Internet Explorer - Drive G: - Folder with "New Briefcase" -
    sub-folder.
    Highlight "New Briefcase" sub-folder.
    Right click for drop-down menu.
    Select and left click Delete.
    Message:- Confirm deletion? Click Yes.
    Message:- "New Briefcase" cannot be deleted until it is closed.

    This brings me back to the last part of my last request for help.
    How do I close "New Briefcase"? The Contol-C and Control-V routine
    simply gives me the window message but in simple text form.

    Your time difference suggests that you may be on the East coast of
    Australia. By a curious coincidence my son is that way for a couple
    of weeks of business plus a chunk of annual holiday.

    Peter

Windows XP