reez

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
I wanna buy an ATHLON XP based motherboard which one i should go for

Whether i should go with NFORCE based Asus bord
or stic with the old VIA 266A base Asus board
or shall i go for new VIA 333 based Asus board

i like to stick with Asus....so u guys tell me...i want the maximum speed
for my pc i'll be running on 256 mb ddr for my system...

is there any memory speed support additions in new via 333 chip...

give ur opinion on these issues as fast as possible

reez<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by reez on 04/26/02 06:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

KermNelson

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
Hmm,

I went with the A7V333 for the "333" but also for USB 2.0, 1394, & onboard 6.1 chip. Make sure if you want all of these that you get the -R for RAID and other goodies. I'm not using the RAID yet but I will buy HD or two when I've got the money.

I don't know when the next "400" chipsets are due but always PLAN how long you can wait, what you absolutely want onboard, and how long you want this system mobo to last before the next upgrade.

The "perks" on the A7V333 got my attention. I also wanted the "333". ASUS's reputation helped too. But I also needed to get a system done so I couldn't wait for "400" type boards to come out. No problems with the A7V333 at all, but I'm adjusting to WinXP.

Someone just did a very nice "chipset" article for the information on various chipset choices. Much more complete than I can do in a post. (Heh, heh about the only complaint I have on the A7V333 is that when I went to the ASUS US site to register the board it wasn't even on the hardcoded list of choices to register. I left them an email & called support to push them a bit and ask about a hook-up card for the SPDIF Digital Audio. They didn't know where to get a little SPDIF hook up! BTW Anyone know where to get a lil connector that would fit either in a bay slot up front or the PCI backplate spot?)

Kerm

Take care :tongue:

KermNelson

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
Hey Crashman,

Why'd you choose the LeadTek Winfast 7350KDA? And what do you think about my 12 volt PS that runs at 12.8/12.9 and spikes to 13.4 or so???

I know my old alternators/generators in cars seem to run over 12 but my Computer is not an gas engine, grin!

Thanks,
Kerm

Take care :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It has better compatability than anything with a VIA chipset, is tied for first place in non-VIA performance, is close to the top performing VIA boards in performance, overclocks easily, has the 1/5 PCI devider for operation at 166MHz, has 6 PCI slots, is one of the most stable boards made, and is inexpensive. I also like the Windows overclocking interface.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?