System Backup Utility (NTBACKUP)

I'm trying to use the backup utility (NTBACKUP) supplied on the XP Home Edition recovery disk. I loaded it to my PC, followed the instructions to initialize the program and tried to do a full system backup, however, it defaults to the "A" drive for the backup media and I want to use my DVD drive to put the backup on this type of media. When I try to change the output drive device by browsing and selecting this drive, it appears to accept the drive, but after I put in the media the program just sits there doing nothing. When I look at task manager it doesn't show any system activity. Is there a problem with this utility such that it doesn't accept anything but the "a" drive for output? Is there a fix or hit for getting this utility to work? Any suggestions at all?
3 answers Last reply
More about system backup utility ntbackup

    AS microsoft techs will tell you,youre best bet is useing the file/transfer
    wizard for back-up.Open the utility,set computer as old,transfer the data to
    a folder that you create,when its thru,transfer data to a cd.This saves all
    youre data,xp settings,even music and videos.

    Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "pingiii" <pingiii@iwon.com> wrote in message:

    | I'm trying to use the backup utility (NTBACKUP) supplied on the XP Home Edition recovery disk. I loaded it
    to my PC, followed the instructions to initialize the program and tried to do a full system backup, however,
    it defaults to the "A" drive for the backup media and I want to use my DVD drive to put the backup on this
    type of media. When I try to change the output drive device by browsing and selecting this drive, it appears
    to accept the drive, but after I put in the media the program just sits there doing nothing. When I look at
    task manager it doesn't show any system activity. Is there a problem with this utility such that it doesn't
    accept anything but the "a" drive for output? Is there a fix or hit for getting this utility to work? Any
    suggestions at all?

    The short answer is that NTbackup will only back up to a Formatted DVD-RW /CD-RW
    for which you'll need UDF packet writing software...like INCD
    Once the disc has been formatted then XP treats it like any other HD and you can
    copy to and from on the fly.
    peter
    "pingiii" <pingiii@iwon.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to use the backup utility (NTBACKUP) supplied on the XP Home
    Edition recovery disk. I loaded it to my PC, followed the instructions to
    initialize the program and tried to do a full system backup, however, it
    defaults to the "A" drive for the backup media and I want to use my DVD drive to
    put the backup on this type of media. When I try to change the output drive
    device by browsing and selecting this drive, it appears to accept the drive, but
    after I put in the media the program just sits there doing nothing. When I look
    at task manager it doesn't show any system activity. Is there a problem with
    this utility such that it doesn't accept anything but the "a" drive for output?
    Is there a fix or hit for getting this utility to work? Any suggestions at all?

Backup Windows XP