Upgrade laptop Bios

I have a Compal TS30T that has problems with the serial port under
Windows 2000. It is the same laptop as the Dell Inspiron 3500. Can I
use Dell's Bios upgrade in hopes of fixing my problem?

leonard.mahone@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a Compal TS30T that has problems with the serial port under
> Windows 2000. It is the same laptop as the Dell Inspiron 3500. Can I
> use Dell's Bios upgrade in hopes of fixing my problem?

Don't even THINK about it!

Notan

"leonard.mahone@gmail.com" wrote:

> Dell's don't seem to have the same problem

Real simple...

The Dell BIOS was written, by Dell, specifically for a Dell computer.

The Compal BIOS was written, by Compal, specifically for a Compal computer.

While *you* might think they're the same computer, they're not.

Don't believe me? Give it a try. And, as Tom said, when you're system won't
fire up, please come back here with the details.

We're always up for a good laugh! <g>

Notan

For one, the Dell BIOS will have many FEWER options.
For two, it probably won't work and will kill your laptop
For three, what makes you think a BIOS change will help.

<leonard.mahone@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Why not?

i don't think the dell flash bios utility would even proceed with the flash
without being able to confirm that the present bios is branded as dell. so
regardless of whether or not it would work i don't think that it would even
attempt to install. i have installed xp on inspiron 3500 without any
problems. perhaps you should try that too... pop in a temporary hard disk
and install it... even with just 128mb it works, albeit slowly...