Windows XP and MS-DOS

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This may seem archaic, but I have a simple DOS based
program that I need to run for my business. I recently
purchased a computer with XP and cannot locate MS-Dos.
Where is it?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

XP does not have DOS.

It can emulate DOS though. Go to Start > Run and type CMD in the box and hit
OK. You should get a DOS box.

"Frank" said in news:18ece01c41b8e$dc38ea40$a101280a@phx.gbl:
> This may seem archaic, but I have a simple DOS based
> program that I need to run for my business. I recently
> purchased a computer with XP and cannot locate MS-Dos.
> Where is it?

NT-based versions of Windows don't include DOS. Like you said, that's
an archaic operating system atop which GUIs were presented.

How do you know that it won't run under Windows XP? Install it and
check. If it doesn't, try using the Program Compatibility Wizard.

Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

papa

You are running a modern computer with the latest version of Windows, yet
you still are using an ancient DOS-based version of some office program.
Don't you think it's about time to upgrade your business software?
Otherwise, why did you upgrade your computer and your OS?

"Frank" <fmprint@zoomtown.com> wrote in message
> This may seem archaic, but I have a simple DOS based
> program that I need to run for my business. I recently
> purchased a computer with XP and cannot locate MS-Dos.
> Where is it?

G'Day Frank,

NO VERSION of Windows since Windows 3.0/3.1 has
included a true DOS.

Beginning with Windows 95, there was a "DOS Box" that
identified itself as DOS v7.0 - but it was a DOS emulator.

Since then then the DOS emulator has been through a number
of incarnations to support people such as yourself.

Each incarnation 'retires' more DOS functionality.

--
Regards,
Pat Garard

______________________________________

Pat:

Windows 3.x, 95, 98, 98SE, and ME are all 16-bit DOS Operating Systems. In
all of those versions, Windows is designed to be pretty, graphics-oriented
"Shell" that rides on top of a DOS Kernel. (Kernel: the core Operating
System code). Those versions of Windows provide "Graphical User Interface"
between the User and the command-line.

Windows NT was designed from the ground up as a 32-bit graphical operating
system. Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003 are all members of the NT family
of non-DOS operating systems. Because there is no DOS in these versions of
Windows, they implement a "DOS Emulator".

steve

"Pat Garard" <apgarardATbigpondPERIODnetPERIODau> wrote in message
> G'Day Frank,
>
> NO VERSION of Windows since Windows 3.0/3.1 has
> included a true DOS.
>
> Beginning with Windows 95, there was a "DOS Box" that
> identified itself as DOS v7.0 - but it was a DOS emulator.
>
> Since then then the DOS emulator has been through a number
> of incarnations to support people such as yourself.
>
> Each incarnation 'retires' more DOS functionality.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pat Garard
> Australia
>
> ______________________________________

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I may be way off here but have you tried START>RUN then
type CMD in the 'open' bar and click OK. This launches
the command processor in a separate window and gives you
a 'C' prompt.

Still, I have tried to run an old DOS program this way
and it just won't run. It may simply depend on the
program you're trying to run.

Jack wrote:
> [...]

1) You will be unable to find MS-DOS, since it does not exist on NT-based
Operating Systems such as XP.
2) My experience with legacy MS-DOS apps has been to simply create a
shortcut on the Desktop pointing to the program's executable on the HD and
launch the program using that shortcut.

When you create the shortcut, you will be able to set memory constraints,
screen size, screen font sizes, compatibility modes, and other things which
will help in running legacy DOS apps under the XP operating system.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Post all replies to the Newsgroup,

Top posted because I don't understand the chrnology of the overall message:

Techincally, XP does not include MS-DOS any longer. Many of the functions
and commands however are still supported, and the mode is called Command
Prompt instead of the DOS Prompt.
To get the "DOS" window, click on:
Start; Programs; Accessories; and click Command Prompt.
Type "Help" at the Command Prompt for a list of the supported commands.

Old DOS programs may or may not install properly and if they install, they
may not work properly. But, that said, many also DO work fine!

HTH