CPU temps higher in BIOS than software

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
With Asus probe or Motherboard monitor the CPU temp varies between 40 (idle) to 50 celcius.

The BIOS says different. Just after a reboot the temp is 72C (a bug maybe?) and it goes down to 49C which is I guess the real idle temp.

The processor is a 933MHz Pentium III (not overclocked). There's no case fans btw.

Is this normal operation?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which Asus MB do you have? The Pentium III has an on-chip sensor for temp readings so it tends to fluctuate faster and a lot more than some under-chip sensors (like on Athlon boards)

I have an old P3B-F Asus board where the temp fluctuates wildly between 35 - 75 celcius under load, but it runs perfectly stable.

In your particular case, it sounds a little high if you are getting boot spikes up in the 70's and high 40's at idle. If I were you, I'd remove and recheck the mounting of your heat sink... Use heat paste on one side and test the surface mate-up. That'll tell you where to put a bit more paste to ensure contact.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
No, it hasn't frozen yet. I've replaced my former processor with this one a week ago. It seems to run a bit hotter than the Celeron I had.

But I hate when the temps show differently.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
The surface of the heatsink was scratched when I installed it (small bits of the copper). And I did put quite small amount of thermal paste, because I think I've put too much before.

I could install the hsf that came with P III. Although it looks too big to fit in my mobo. Or the smaller that came with the Celeron.

The one I now have is a Titan Majesty, which I like because it's easy to install and uninstall.

BTW The 40C is the idle temp and the 50c is in full load (with software monitors). I'm not sure if I made it clear.

Here's pics of my case. As you can see it's crap as there isn't really place's for fans. <A HREF="http://members.surfeu.fi/oskari79/My_Case.html" target="_new">http://members.surfeu.fi/oskari79/My_Case.html</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by samwyse on 04/27/02 11:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>