Google Paying Up to $1337 for Chrome Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Misleading title much?

I thought Google got into some kind of lawsuit or something, not that this was a contest.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Misleading title much?I thought Google got into some kind of lawsuit or something, not that this was a contest.[/citation]

A lawsuit for less then 1500$ dollars? Really?

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]A lawsuit for less then 1500$ dollars? Really?[/citation]

Yeah, coulda been a hacker who found some loophole or something and scammed them out of an amusing amount of money.

Remember the incident where Dell underpriced their nice monitors at a dirt cheap price?

G

Smart move from google, and nice to see that despite all the billions they've made, the schoolyard geek spirit is still alive at Google's

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Zolt[/nom]Smart move from google, and nice to see that despite all the billions they've made, the schoolyard geek spirit is still alive at Google's[/citation]
We love Google for our own reasons, and for me, this is certainly one of them. =D

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Wait what?! I get cash just for telling them about a bug? This makes me very happy, as even the base amount would help me VERY much.[/citation]
I think you need to show them the bug. ie. Point out the code flaw.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I like Chrome and use it on my Windows rig because of security (sandbox tabs) but I still like and use Firefox on my Linux rig and use Adblock and Noscript add ons with it.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
How did they come up with a weird 1337 amount?

Q: How do you get your rewards?
A: You have to figure the bug in our payment system first.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I think it is cheaper for Google and Mozilla, to create a basic software and let others handle the bugs... that way the operating budget of Chrome department could be cut down from 100million to 20million and 1million for the bug finders... the price should be at least $10K damn it

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
How soon before people figure out how they can game the system? It will take a developer/hacker, and a his accomplice. Develop the code get the buggered code checked in and deployed by the accomplice, and now report the bug. Now claim the money, and give a cut to accomplice. Wow now we've got an incentive to get lots of buggered code and lots of people to contribute. Lovely!

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]s4fun[/nom]How soon before people figure out how they can game the system? It will take a developer/hacker, and a his accomplice. Develop the code get the buggered code checked in and deployed by the accomplice, and now report the bug. Now claim the money, and give a cut to accomplice. Wow now we've got an incentive to get lots of buggered code and lots of people to contribute. Lovely![/citation]

With the salary at Google close to 100k for a developer and I'd assume like any other company there's a QA dept.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Google,_Inc./Salary/by_Job

So... You'd risk loosing a great career for shots at a low amount of money. If they see a large amount of bugs sourcing from one developer it would raise some concerns. Bleh, then again, people do not necessarily think that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.