K7SEM overheating? Help!

G

I recently purchased a barebones system to replace my ancient Pentium 133, but since budget was a concern, i went for the cheap options and as it turns out, that was a bad choice.

I got a K7SEM, AMD Th 1.13 Ghz w/Cooler Master Coppermine Cooling fan, 256 Mb of Micron pc133 SDRAM, a 2 inch Cooler Master Case Fan and a Mid Tower with 300 W power supply. This was the basic system that I bought already assembled, to which I added SoundBlaster Live!, a Maxtor 40G 7200 HDD and a Teac CDW54E. Definitely not a dream configuration but I thought it would serve my needs.

Now it seems like the system has temperature problems. It freezes every ten minutes or so, so I run Sandra diagnostics and it came out with a temperature warning. The mobo heats up to 65º and CPU up to 60º (the Bios reports lower results, but still over the 50º range). I am no engineer but I am assuming that either the fans are not doing their job properly or the mobo just can´t handle the cpu because it´s 266Mhz. Sandra did report a FSB problem. I was wondering is somebody can lend a hand helping configure the system for stable performance. Should I replace the fans? I already changed the case fan position to suck fresh air into the case instead of exhausting, because the power supply is exhausting itself, but it doesn´t seem to make any difference at all. Should I just switch to a different mobo altogether? Is there any chance any of the parts is defective?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey S,

Just my take on your problem. Replace the Cooler Master HSF with a T.I. Dr Thermal V77L HSF($18 @ newegg.com), before installing new HSF clean CPU with Alcohol and apply Artic Silver II or III thermal grease as per website instructions, DO NOT cover the whole wafer with a ton of Grease! Read the website first! Modify your case if you have to, or add one intake fan in the front of case & one exhaust fan at rear of case. Don't worry about a SiSoft Sandra FSB problem, it doesn't matter which T-bird you use in your system, both will run at 200 mhz FSB, not 266. Check your Bios setup for bad settings & off voltages(you might have to replace your PS, many cheap PS's can't supply the Athlon's enough clean power). Read the AMD site for thermal solutions & reccomended PS's. Good Luck

Peace Out.................tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

G

Just after posting I found some older posts regarding the use of this mobo with Athlon CPUs and it seems like this is definitely a bad choice in motherboard. So I might just go ahead and get a replacement, since I´ve only had this system for a few days. I need to decide whether it is better just to stick with it and change the fan arrangement as you suggest and avoid all the hassle. Or change the whole thing: mobo, power supply and fans included. Thanks for the advice.