john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

At the logon screen, under my user name, it displays a
message saying I have 5 unread emails. I use Outlook
Express and deleted the spam emails before the system
flagged them as read. How do I get rid of that message
on the logon screen?

There are a couple of ways to fix this;

This problem can be resolved by using a tool named PowerToys. PowerToys is
available at
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp>.
After installing PowerToys, run the TweakUI for Windows XP from Start | All
Programs | Powertoys for Windows XP. Select "Repair" in the left frame and
select
"Repair unread mail count" in the dropdown list box. Then press "Repair Now"
to fix
the problem.

Second option;

Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if
a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring
the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key"
Help
topic in Regedt32.exe.

Import to back up the key before editing.

1. Click on Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.

2. In the Registry Editor open to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

3. Under the UnreadMail folder, click on the email account with the email
count
error.

4. In the right pane, right click on the MessageCount icon and choose
Modify.

5. Change the value data to 0 (zero), click OK.

6. Close registry editor and restart, unread email count will be cleared.

--
Darren Hook
dhook@online.microsoft.com

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"john" <winks@pedigreeskishop.com> wrote in message
> At the logon screen, under my user name, it displays a
> message saying I have 5 unread emails. I use Outlook
> Express and deleted the spam emails before the system
> flagged them as read. How do I get rid of that message
> on the logon screen?

Hi,

You need to make some changes in the registry. This article explains how:

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen [Q304148]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304148

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"john" <winks@pedigreeskishop.com> wrote in message
> At the logon screen, under my user name, it displays a
> message saying I have 5 unread emails. I use Outlook
> Express and deleted the spam emails before the system
> flagged them as read. How do I get rid of that message
> on the logon screen?

kcallais

I cannot sign on. I keep getting the Logon Message "The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."