Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
World of Warcraft is a good game.

Yes you heard right. Only 2.5 weeks ago I NEVER would have said those words and would have gone off on how paying monthly is not worth it, it's a horrible game etc, etc.

But after my wife begged me to get her a copy and then one for myself too so we could play together, I tried it. And God help me, but it is a fun game. To be honest I still wish that I didn't like it, and I still think having to pay monthly for it is stupid, but it is a good, fun game. You all have no idea how hard this is for me, but thanks for listening. :oops:

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
It all started when Everquest first came out. A friend of mine told me about this new came called "Everquest" that you play online, and proceded to show me it a little bit. It didn't look all that fun to me, and then he told me that "...well, you have to pay a monthly fee to play." And that is what did it for me. What looked to me like only a so so game, but what is worse, you have to pay a monthly fee just to play!?! Rediculious (sp?) I said to myself, why pay monthly when there good, if not better games that you only pay once?

So that is strike one right there. Strike two was that the few previews/screenshots I actually allowed myself to glance at showed me how cartoony the in game graphics were/are. It was even more reason for me to not buy it or bother with it. Combine that with the fact that I am INCREADIBLY stubborn by nature when I decide to be, and you get strike three, you're outta here, and don't let the door hit ya.

But I gave into my wife because I enjoy giving in to her every once in awhile, after playing it a bit, I'm forced to awknowledge to myself that it is a good game. I still think the graphics should be better, and paying monthly is absurd, but for now the gameplay makes up for that.

Does that answer well enough? :)

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Yup, that about answers it for me. I wasn't sure if it was because the game just didn't look appealin to you or whether you had something against MMOGs and their fees.

And don't worry about the shovel beating, I don't think they're being serious. I get the same treatment when I tell people Halo is vastly overrated.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Feed it to some hungry Taurens.

Really, I liked WOW, too. I did the 10day trial and was surprised at how much I liked it. I just can't bring myself to pay for a game, then pay a monthly fee. If the download was free, then I'd pay the monthly fee without too much a fuss. But as it is I can't stand having to fork out $50 for the game then $15 each month just to keep playing.

That and my wife isn't so keen on gaming. Count yourself lucky on that one. 'Course my wife makes up for that in every way, but still. It would be nice if she wanted to play. :wink:

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
It's alright. I got bored of playing after about 2 weeks.

Then again, I didn't really know what I was doing. I just kept grabbing missions and killing stuff.

It was too redundant.

Sugarbuns

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It was too redundant.

I agree with that a little bit if you try to zip through the leveling (most people do) but if you read some of the quests, learn the actual RPG world you're playing in, this game can really pull you in. I think they did an awesome job with combining an immense amount of game content into an interface that is extremely user-friendly, supports mods, and has unique graphics (very cartoonish). At first, I thought the cartoonish feel was kind of strange and swore I'd never be a WoW-Weenie. I was EQ2 for life, baby! But then EQ2 continued having no PvP and the GMs started listening to weenies saying "Please make this part of the game easier, it's too difficult." and before you know it, the game was just too damn simple. The EQ2 community really botched that one up.

So then I check out WoW and all I could say was "Wow!"--The graphics really grow on you and they are extremely fluid (not choppy like EQ2 could be at times, even on very low settings). If I switch to a different game after WoW, it will be to play something of a different genre (EVE Online comes to mind as an example, but I don't plan on switching games for at least another year). As for the $15/mo fee, you do see lots of rewards for that fee. They continue to add a boatload of new content and really keep you on your toes. Besides, what's $15/mo anyway when you consider how much time you spend playing the game?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
That't just it. I don't play games that much every month. $15/month would be more than a dollar an hour for me. I don't have that kind of time to spend on any game, no matter how good it is.

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I don't mind the fee. It's just that the last couple of times that I've loaded it up, I run around for about 15 minutes then get bored and log off.

I think I should look into joining a guild. That might make my experience more entertaining.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I was pretty violently anti-fee as well, and anti-MMO by extension, until I started playing Guild Wars (NO monthly fee). I did find GW too limiting at the end, and when some of my guildies moved to WoW I went along and got hooked. If you pre-pay for a longer term than monthly you do get a break, and Amazon has 2 month cards for $25, which saves you a bit. I try to remind myself that going to the movies with my wife costs $30 just to get in and buy a drink and popcorn, so $15 per month just doesn't seem quite so bad given the amount of enjoyment I derive from the game...