I have a rather suspecious theory,

Suspecious in a sense that something is wrong in windows xp.

To make it short and sweet ... i noticed that my scores on sisoft sandra 2002 were very very close to that of ata66 RAID 0. It never reaches scores of ATA100 RAID 0.

btw; scores for ata66 RAID 0 is 32000 and ata100 RAID 0 is 37000.

Now i always get around 32000.

If i remember correctly windows 2000 had the same problem where win2k couldn't get past ata66. It didn't get it. Only until a SP release did it fix the ata problem.

Now i'm thinking maybe windows XP has the same issue. Making your ata 100/133 drive run like ata 66 drive.

Just simple observation.

What do you think? Does M$ know about this? Is this widely known?

Note: Theory means it is not written in stone and is only a matter of an educated guess with no facts to back it up. Which is the absolute point of this post.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

Hello !

LOL --- "Dose M$ know about this" --- If I had the largest software company in the world my research team would know everything about the software in reason before it leaves the door not to mention the second version coming out soon that will bring in more $ so that should answer part of your question.

The other part is ATA100 is supported and can be obtained only do some checking to assure ATA is able to be obtained by the hard-drive, MB, Chipset, and so forth so that it is not a hardware issus.

Then recheck the bios settings and make sure it is either enabled or make sure you are not running the drive with another drive that is not ATA100 as a good indicator run the drive as stand-alone/Master and make sure the bios is set to ATA100 is you have it and adjust any setting like the settings for tranfer and block reading in the bios.

Also as a helpful kicker check to see if there is a bios update or any problems with the MB, HD firmware, and so forth for external problems could also be the PS.

Hope that helps somewhat !

A computer built with some performace in mind will give you 10% more bang for your bulk s (ºoº)

you must be a newbie... let me explain

people from other forums have the same problem with windows XP. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same chipset and motherboards. Also windows 2000 when it first came out DID have this problem also!

Also i have a computer science degree. That means i know more about computers then you do. Simple fact, it's my field i study in.

I have my hard drives in RAID 0 configuration as ata100. The BIOS automaticly detects so i don't have to do anything.

It is NOT the power supply!

I swear when ever there is a problem you people always suggest the power supply.

let me explain what the power supply does ok? Simple, it supplies power to all the devices. I have a 400 watt power supply. I pretty much have like a nuclear reactor in my case! (joke) if it was the power supply the computer wouldn't work right. it would reboot and freeze up and fans not spinning. Problems related to power. Ok?

i wasn't asking for help but thanks anyway!

it is a thoery i have and other people with pentium 4's and athlons etc etc have the same problem with windows xp as i do.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm
wouldnt suprise me.
good ole sp2 fixed the problems for moi.

say.... is there any possibility that u can test a drive or two in standard ata?
rule out any raid issues.

also... how full is your array?
ive found that the amount of stuff on a drive and its defragged nature has a large bearing on sandra benchmarks.

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

SmooveJD

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Hey U know...Dude might have a point there. I just installed XP. What is strange to me is that my drivers were alot quieter using win2k sp2. Now they seem to rattle more. What do you guys think? I'm not saying that noise has something to do with it, but my drives do seem a lil bit more sluggish.

NTFS ...

Now i'm not sure if i have RAID setup right as gigabyte uses the automatic setup so ... but the stripe is 2+0 Stripe ... thats what it sees it as.

don't get it confused with RAID 0 or RAID 1 ... Does 2+0 Stripe/RAID 0 mean anything to you?