Sign in with
Your question

Disadvantages from Disabling V-Sync? To improve FPS

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2006 6:47:09 PM

I noticed that disabling V-sync on the graphics card settings helped my FPS during gameplay. Like all my games had better FPS. I was wondering how that is effecting my Visual play. I seem to notice that there is some things wrong with the graphics, but mininal. Like during Oblivion. The Beta patch for Nvida is supossed to fix this issue I assume? 84.25? I'm not to familiar with V-sync settings. All I know is most of my games have this setting, and is usually turned on. I swapping performance with visual performance? Is that the case?
March 29, 2006 9:41:27 PM

Vsync forces the card to wait to update your screen until the monitor is ready. The main problem with having it off is that you will most likely experience texture tearing. If you look around in a game really quickly you'll see that the textures get out of whack a bit.
I prefer to have vsync on. It nearly prevents texture tearing and for me that increases the immersion of games. As long as I'm above 30fps, I don't really care what frame rate I'm getting.
That's all there is to it. It comes down to personal preference. What matters more to you? Good texturing or raw frame rates?
March 30, 2006 8:51:58 AM

Yes personal preference. I see what you mean. I wasn't sure what V-Sync actually did, but you explained well thank you. I don't see anything wrong with low FPS as long as the game plays smooth. I guess I'd rather see nice visuals. Thanks!! lol
!