Is it a hardware or software problem?

xaint

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
hi there,

i'm trying to play neverwinter nights: diamond edition on an athlon 64 dual core rig. however, when i play, it plays ok until ten or fifteen minutes later, when all of a sudden when i try to move my character, the game starts to skip. i click where i want my character to go, and then my character just ends up there, without actually moving to the spot. in a sense, it's like my character is teleporting. but it's a fighter, and it can't teleport. get what i'm saying??? also, the npcs and my character starts to fidget very rapidly, like they're all on a ton of caffeine or something. i guess you can say it's lagging, but in reverse.

my g-card is an asus nvidia 6600gt 128 mb. my drivers are the normal ones that came with the card. and i've already tried formatting and fixing my registry. i've found some issues with the card, although implementing the fixes doesn't seem to solve my problems. i've also had issues with playing galactic civ. 2, where there was a significant amount of skipping when i tried to move my ships.

if anyone can help me, i'd really appreciate it. as of right now, i don't know if it's a software or hardware problem. but i'd like to say it is a hardware problem, in which case i'd be able to just return the product and get something else. i have a warranty on both the rig and the card, so it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks to whoever is able to answer.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I'm amazed that some people still don't realise that they need to update their drivers regularly. You'd think the manufacturers would make more of an effort to educate people!

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeh like a simple auto update tab on the driver options would more than do...

Or why not let Microsoft put it on there auto updates....

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Especially since nVidia, for example, now have unified drivers, putting them into windows updates wouldn't be such a bad idea.

But I don't see why nVidia or ATI can't put an auto-updater (or at least an auto-notifier) in the driver package? As long as people have the option to turn it off if they want.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I think windows update already supports drivers for certain third party products but I suspect that they are more of a “stability” type against performance drivers.

Then again I could be wrong since I manually download the drivers.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Last time I seen anything like that was with my Winfast Geforce 3, Microsoft Auto Updates would actualy update that card but has not done to any others since which is strange...

Mind you the winfast branded Nvidia drivers at that time did in fact have an update notification tab (Shame they take about 6 months to update there branded drivers at that time though).

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I think you have to run the windows genuine thingy. I should show in the optional updates. Anyway if it doesn’t work as it should for everyone I wouldn’t be surprised as this is MS after all.

xaint

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
thanks to everyone who helped out, and i've yet to try it out since i'm at work right now. but still, thank you. and yeah, it's about time they include some sort of auto updater... i mean, even some small utilities contain auto updaters, so you would think it shouldn't be a big problem with large corporations like nvidia and ati.

thanks again.