Windows XP and new bios updates?

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Just to give you a quick background on my pc, i'm Running an Athlon XP 1600+, Gigabyte 7VTXH MOBO, Radeon 7500 OEM, and 768MB PC2400 DDR. The OS i'm running is Windows XP Professional. I'm also currently running the F2 Bios on my motherboard, which came out October 11, 2001.

Basically my Bios is about 6 months old, and since then, they have come out with a F3, F4, F5, and now an F6 Bios version. The newer bios' have support for Athlon XP 2200+, larger hard drives, and more. So I figured it would be worth updating it.

However, everytime I update my bios, my system becomes very unstable. I tried a beta F7, i also tried the F6, F5, and F4 bios. All let me get into windows, but all are unstable for me. The only way to get the stability back is going back to F2.

I called Gigabyte on this, and they said maybe I need to put the new bios on, and then re-install XP :( They think maybe it's XP's fault, does this sound right to anyone? Has anyone else encountered this?

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

pat

Expert
If your system is running fine, and you dont have any problem with it, continu with the f2 bios. If it aint broken, why fix it?...I've learn that some time ago...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I definitely agree with that for the most part.

But what happens if I decide to buy a Athlon XP 2200+, when it drops to $130 some day, then i'm hosed, if I want to upgrade. Then if I do, i'm going back to my original question, has anyone else seen this, where they need to reinstall their operating system?

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

pat

Expert
Well...maybe this day, you may have to reinstall your system too...or mayby it may works as it too..

but, have you try a newer bios with only just one memory stick.
remove one stick, update your bios, unplug your computer from the powerline, clear the bios, wait 5 minutes, put the power back to your computer and restart.

If it works well, then put back your other memory stick

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!