will there ever be a new starcraft???

xaint

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i just finished reading the last issue of pcgamer, and in their "coming in june" section, they hint at an rts the has been out of the limelight for a while, but is finally coming back with a sequel. and i'm thinking to myself, can it be?!?!?! can the most beloved game i ever played (starcraft)... the game that got me addicted to pc's in the first place... be coming out with a new version??? and literally, i'm praying it is starcraft. my reasons... because 1) pcgamer has a way of teasing the reader like this and they've always unveiled something so particularly radical that it makes my heart go pitter-patter and 2) i'm just literally hoping against all odds that it is starcraft 2 because it would finally give blizzard another success story. besides WoW, they haven't had one in a while.

so if someone... anyone can shed a little light on this, pls respond. thank u.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Its happening, mate. Have faith.

Starcraft is well know as being one of Blizzard's best game franchises.

Its inevitable that it will come out...thats what I keep telling myself anyways, as I'm keen on it happening too. I think officially that its on the cards.

There's another thread that talks about this. Check it out in this section.

Mate, just on Blizzard's success: did you catch the excellent RPG World of Warcraft? That's hugely popular.

I've never seen a poor blizzard game. Amazing effort.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Well that certainly sounds like a very nice teaser, and I also hope that a new StarCraft is in the works. Even though i am optimistic in most cases, I feel however that perhaps they are hinting about some other RTS. To tell you the truth, part of me actually does not want Blizzard to mace SC2 because everyone at Blizzard who was on the original StarCraft team is now gone and I am afraid that they will botch up a modern classic. SC2 may just be speculation for now, but there is a project in the works by a group of WarCraft/StarCraft enthusiast programmers where they are trying to port StarCraft to the WarCraft III engine. The name of this endeavor is Project Revolution. I must say that the models that I have seen on their web page are quite beautiful and faithful to the original BroodWar sprites. I wrote more about this in another thread, so you can find extra information there : http://forumz.tomshardware.com/games/ftopic-95526-days0-orderasc-25.html

It may not be StarCraft 2, but it is most certainly not chopped liver either :D

-Zorak

kenshi

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
it is already in the works. see some screens here http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/984/82/

True, that's new starcraft game, but a whole different breed. I'm excited about the new MMO version of the game, but I can see a lot of RTS fans wishing that blizzard had made a true sequel.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but honestly, how trustworthy is that site? Think about it this way. RPGs revolve quite a bit around improving weapons, crafts, skills, and getting new types of magic spells. The only characters that can be said to have any kind of magic in starcraft are a few protoss units (high templar/ Dark Archons) and maybe ghosts. Bearing that in mind, do you really think that a World of Starcraft would even be feasible using StarCraft characters (without radically altering the StarCraft style and story, that is). I just don't think that game is real because Sci-fi doesn't mix well with RPGs. I know that there are a few successful sci-fi RPGs out there, but honestly if you compare their style of play/Universe/Mechanics to that of StarCraft, you'll see that StarCraft wouldn't work well that way.

Also, the sketchy nature of that websites post on the supposed "World of Starcraft" leads me to doubt its credability. After all, it only has 2 screenshots and one sentence about something that should be VERY BIG news in the game world. On top of that, a search for anything related to "World of Starcraft" at blizzard's site reveals nothing, not even a cryptic sentence about something new on the horizon in the Starcraft World.

My final argument against this supposed new game is the fact that those screenshots look so very much like the multiplayer mode for StarCraft: Ghost. Before blizzard announced its cancelation, they had spoken of the fact that you could play as terran and zerg (not sure about protoss) and the screenshots of in game action looked very much like those screenshots (the units anyways). If you look at the background of those screenshots, (if you've played the starcraft campaigns) you'll notice that the background is just pictures from StarCraft that appear before you see your mission briefings (load up StarCraft if you don't believe me).

I've been a big fan of StarCraft for eight years now, and as a result I feel that I cannot allow any unrealistic rumours start that will get people's hopes up for no reason. This new game may very well be a hoax, but I assure you that Project Revolution is most certainly real, and with the "indefinate postponement" of StarCraft: Ghost, it is the closest thing to a new StarCraft game/ StarCraft 2 that we are going to get until Blizzard decides to get up off its butt and make an awesome new game for the StarCraft fans.

-Zorak

BlackCloud

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but honestly, how trustworthy is that site? Think about it this way. RPGs revolve quite a bit around improving weapons, crafts, skills, and getting new types of magic spells. The only characters that can be said to have any kind of magic in starcraft are a few protoss units (high templar/ Dark Archons) and maybe ghosts. Bearing that in mind, do you really think that a World of Starcraft would even be feasible using StarCraft characters (without radically altering the StarCraft style and story, that is). I just don't think that game is real because Sci-fi doesn't mix well with RPGs. I know that there are a few successful sci-fi RPGs out there, but honestly if you compare their style of play/Universe/Mechanics to that of StarCraft, you'll see that StarCraft wouldn't work well that way.

Also, the sketchy nature of that websites post on the supposed "World of Starcraft" leads me to doubt its credability. After all, it only has 2 screenshots and one sentence about something that should be VERY BIG news in the game world. On top of that, a search for anything related to "World of Starcraft" at blizzard's site reveals nothing, not even a cryptic sentence about something new on the horizon in the Starcraft World.

My final argument against this supposed new game is the fact that those screenshots look so very much like the multiplayer mode for StarCraft: Ghost. Before blizzard announced its cancelation, they had spoken of the fact that you could play as terran and zerg (not sure about protoss) and the screenshots of in game action looked very much like those screenshots (the units anyways). If you look at the background of those screenshots, (if you've played the starcraft campaigns) you'll notice that the background is just pictures from StarCraft that appear before you see your mission briefings (load up StarCraft if you don't believe me).

I've been a big fan of StarCraft for eight years now, and as a result I feel that I cannot allow any unrealistic rumours start that will get people's hopes up for no reason. This new game may very well be a hoax, but I assure you that Project Revolution is most certainly real, and with the "indefinate postponement" of StarCraft: Ghost, it is the closest thing to a new StarCraft game/ StarCraft 2 that we are going to get until Blizzard decides to get up off its butt and make an awesome new game for the StarCraft fans.

-Zorak

I believe that was actually posted on the World of Warcraft website. However, considering the fact that it was posted on April Fools Day, it could very well have been a prank. You never know though.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I believe that was actually posted on the World of Warcraft website. However, considering the fact that it was posted on April Fools Day, it could very well have been a prank. You never know though.

You know, the possibility that this was a prank occured to me about 5 seconds after I posted this lengthy debunking of said game. I must admit that I do feel just a tad silly for not remembering the date sooner. However, I still stand behind my rationale...

-Zorak

Edit: I just thought about this but, if this game were not just a prank, then it would definately have made a headline here at Twitchguru and THG, ergo it must be a hoax.