Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless signal boost

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Wireless Access
  • Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 18, 2004 6:40:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi,

I'm new to wireless networks. I've recently bought a linksys WAP11 and
WMP11 PCI card. I've plugged the WAP into my linksys router, but the
signal to my PC upstairs is always at low, and frequently the
connection drops, I have never gone for any length of time while
maintaining the connection. I'd like to avoid having to move my WAP
and I've been looking for alternative ways to boost the signal, I've
tried the usual, changing the channel, moving the antena on the wap
and on the card. I've tried with and without WEP but I still have this
problem of the connection constantly dropping, I have seen articles
about changing the antenna on the WAP but as a newbie I don't know
what I would need to buy or if this would even work for me. Any advice
much appreciated.

Sarah

More about : wireless signal boost

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 20, 2004 11:41:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

First thing to check is that the signal close to the WAP is OK...

Had a DLink unit which gave these symptoms ... found the "built-in" antenna
was not connected to the PCB...

Then perhaps try different channels ...

Then, if you really do not want to move the WAP .. or the downstairs PC,
some experimntation with reflectors (at either / both ends) may be in
order...see other threads for designs / ideas ..

John




"sb1" <sarah_browne101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c0a442c6.0407181340.15c99ea3@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to wireless networks. I've recently bought a linksys WAP11 and
> WMP11 PCI card. I've plugged the WAP into my linksys router, but the
> signal to my PC upstairs is always at low, and frequently the
> connection drops, I have never gone for any length of time while
> maintaining the connection. I'd like to avoid having to move my WAP
> and I've been looking for alternative ways to boost the signal, I've
> tried the usual, changing the channel, moving the antena on the wap
> and on the card. I've tried with and without WEP but I still have this
> problem of the connection constantly dropping, I have seen articles
> about changing the antenna on the WAP but as a newbie I don't know
> what I would need to buy or if this would even work for me. Any advice
> much appreciated.
>
> Sarah


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.722 / Virus Database: 478 - Release Date: 18/07/2004
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 21, 2004 6:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi John,

The signal close to the wap is ok most of the time, it does tend to
cut out occasionally though, does this mean the problem could be
similar to that with your DLink unit? And this might seem a really
dumb question but where do I look to make sure that the connection is
being made? (I'm not good at this kind of thing :s)

I've already tried changing channels and one is as bad as the next.
Should I consider looking for new antennae?

Thanks,
Sarah

"John Beeston" <john.Beeston@talk21.com> wrote in message news:<40fcbed7$0$92630$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
> First thing to check is that the signal close to the WAP is OK...
>
> Had a DLink unit which gave these symptoms ... found the "built-in" antenna
> was not connected to the PCB...
>
> Then perhaps try different channels ...
>
> Then, if you really do not want to move the WAP .. or the downstairs PC,
> some experimntation with reflectors (at either / both ends) may be in
> order...see other threads for designs / ideas ..
>
> John
>
>
>
>
> "sb1" <sarah_browne101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:c0a442c6.0407181340.15c99ea3@posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to wireless networks. I've recently bought a linksys WAP11 and
> > WMP11 PCI card. I've plugged the WAP into my linksys router, but the
> > signal to my PC upstairs is always at low, and frequently the
> > connection drops, I have never gone for any length of time while
> > maintaining the connection. I'd like to avoid having to move my WAP
> > and I've been looking for alternative ways to boost the signal, I've
> > tried the usual, changing the channel, moving the antena on the wap
> > and on the card. I've tried with and without WEP but I still have this
> > problem of the connection constantly dropping, I have seen articles
> > about changing the antenna on the WAP but as a newbie I don't know
> > what I would need to buy or if this would even work for me. Any advice
> > much appreciated.
> >
> > Sarah
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.722 / Virus Database: 478 - Release Date: 18/07/2004
Related resources
July 21, 2004 11:19:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On 21 Jul 2004 02:03:36 -0700, sarah_browne101@hotmail.com (sb1)
wrote:

>I have seen articles
>> > about changing the antenna on the WAP but as a newbie I don't know
>> > what I would need to buy or if this would even work for me. Any advice
>> > much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Sarah
>>

I have recently added a Dlink DWL-M60 AT directional indoor
antenna (about $40+) to my Dlink WAP. It gave the full
advertised 6 dBm boost and a dBm extra (tilt is important).

If you call Dlink's product line (no product advice e-mail
available, 800-326-1688) be prepared for your most disgusting 20
minutes of hold time, ever. The constant repetitive
announcements and advertising will drive you up the wall. If not
for taking chances on compatibility, I would switch away from
these jerks.

John
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 27, 2004 1:14:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for your post John but I don't own any D-link products!!!
Anyone any suggestions for my linksys wap11??

Sarah


John <john@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<3j7uf096tsmdoatmr5hv328btv1m50sgca@4ax.com>...
> On 21 Jul 2004 02:03:36 -0700, sarah_browne101@hotmail.com (sb1)
> wrote:
>
> >I have seen articles
> >> > about changing the antenna on the WAP but as a newbie I don't know
> >> > what I would need to buy or if this would even work for me. Any advice
> >> > much appreciated.
> >> >
> >> > Sarah
> >>
>
> I have recently added a Dlink DWL-M60 AT directional indoor
> antenna (about $40+) to my Dlink WAP. It gave the full
> advertised 6 dBm boost and a dBm extra (tilt is important).
>
> If you call Dlink's product line (no product advice e-mail
> available, 800-326-1688) be prepared for your most disgusting 20
> minutes of hold time, ever. The constant repetitive
> announcements and advertising will drive you up the wall. If not
> for taking chances on compatibility, I would switch away from
> these jerks.
>
> John
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 28, 2004 1:45:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On 27th July, sarah_browne101@hotmail.com wrote:

>Thanks for your post John but I don't own any D-link products!!!
>Anyone any suggestions for my linksys wap11??

I managed to get a good extra ten feet from my Wap11 (through a
number of walls which I have found to be lined with metal foil
covered plaster plasterboard) simply by putting the wap11 a lot
higher up....was on the desk, now on a top shelf.

I also built myself a simple parabolic reflector out of card and
some kitchen foil and that gives quite a boost if I know I will
be sitting in one place!

If anyone wants them, I will put the plan onto a PDF and post it
somewhere.....it wasn't that hard to build.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 28, 2004 1:45:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Bryan Anderson <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote:
> I also built myself a simple parabolic reflector out of card and
> some kitchen foil and that gives quite a boost if I know I will
> be sitting in one place!

http://www.freeantennas.com


--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
!