Adaware 6.0 and Avast antiviurs conflicting???

April 7, 2004 10:27:00 AM

I use adaware to scan for spyware/adaware once a day, and for the past 3 or
4 days, I started getting Avast viruses alarms as I was scanning for
adawares. I delete them but for some strange reason I can use adaware again
in an hour and the avast alarm will go off again saying I got the same
viruses I had before. Adaware does not show any of these files as adaware or
spyware, it just makes my avast system go off as it is scanning for spyware.
This just started to happend a few days ago, Im wondering if some of the
adaware stuff is not compatible with avast or what. Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 7:27:58 PM

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:27:00 GMT, JP wrote:

> I use adaware to scan for spyware/adaware once a day, and for the past 3 or
> 4 days, I started getting Avast viruses alarms as I was scanning for
> adawares. I delete them but for some strange reason I can use adaware again
> in an hour and the avast alarm will go off again saying I got the same
> viruses I had before. Adaware does not show any of these files as adaware or
> spyware, it just makes my avast system go off as it is scanning for spyware.
> This just started to happend a few days ago, Im wondering if some of the
> adaware stuff is not compatible with avast or what. Thanks for any help.

AdAware checks a lot of system resources (files and registry) that an
antivirus program might get huffy about. May want to disable Avast while
running AdAware. Remember to enable it again when finished.

Also may want to ask Avast's technical support if there is any way to allow
the two programs to run at the same time without getting a warning from the
a/v program.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

JP,
Ad-Aware has the ability to mark files "ignored" in future scans. Run Ad-Aware scan, when the Avast files are listed, right click them and select "Add to Ignore List".

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23KV5E7NHEHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:27:00 GMT, JP wrote:

> I use adaware to scan for spyware/adaware once a day, and for the past 3 or
> 4 days, I started getting Avast viruses alarms as I was scanning for
> adawares. I delete them but for some strange reason I can use adaware again
> in an hour and the avast alarm will go off again saying I got the same
> viruses I had before. Adaware does not show any of these files as adaware or
> spyware, it just makes my avast system go off as it is scanning for spyware.
> This just started to happend a few days ago, Im wondering if some of the
> adaware stuff is not compatible with avast or what. Thanks for any help.

AdAware checks a lot of system resources (files and registry) that an
antivirus program might get huffy about. May want to disable Avast while
running AdAware. Remember to enable it again when finished.

Also may want to ask Avast's technical support if there is any way to allow
the two programs to run at the same time without getting a warning from the
a/v program.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 2:55:16 AM

Rich/rerat wrote:
> JP,
> Ad-Aware has the ability to mark files "ignored" in future scans. Run
> Ad-Aware scan, when the Avast files are listed, right click them and
> select "Add to Ignore List".
>
> --

They may need a setting going the opposite way: Advast set to ignore AdAware
activity.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP Windows XP