Power surge fried my MOBO...

freedomverse

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
We had a storm here in Chicago and though I have a surge protector, I think a battery backup is on the to do list. How can I tell what was fried? What would be the most likely thing to go bad in a power surge... the power supply, the mobo? The computer turns on, but I have a black screen. The fans work and the cd drive can open and close, but the screen is black and no lights on the keyboard come on. Please help. I don't want to go crazy! I need to get this puppy up as soon as possible!

Thanks,
Jared.

freedomverse

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
If the power supply could possibly be the problem, how can I check it? Is there any way to check the mobo?
Not a happy camper,
Jared.

G

If all fans and drives are powering up, it´s more likely its just your mainboard. The PSU usually won´t start at all, if there´s a problem with it. Does your mainboard have a light to show if the RAM is getting power?

Have you tried to clear the bios, and restart? Some mainboards have a feature installed, which tells the mainboard to go into a special state after a surge. Override this by clearing the bios!

freedomverse

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
I hooked up another power supply from my other cpu and I got power to the mobo and stuff showed up on my monitor. Smile! I am about to install a new power supply. I'm thinkin' maybe that will solve the problem. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help today. I also got a battery backup so this is less likely to happen again.

Jared.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
My friend just fried his motherboard, he thought it was something else because after doing something small, i think he reset he swapped out some part, but after changing it he had the same prob u had..nothing on the monitor so he did another swap and it was the board..just make sure first that its ure psu by trying the psu that u believe is fried on another pc

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

freedomverse

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
O.K. Swapped out the power supply and everything is just fine. I also picked up a pretty hefty UPS so this is less likely to happen again. I have to admit that I was thinkin' that it might not have been such a bad thing to have to upgrade my mobo. But I'm glad it's all up and running because I really don't have the cash for any upgrades right now.
So, I guess that some of the power supply worked; the 12 volt accessory lines, but the part that hooked to the mobo was fried. How would you figure.
Jared.

Raist999

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
If you are concerned that you may have a bad PSU, Antec has an ATX PSU tester you can pick up for about $15 US. The indicator will let you know the PSU is running, you could also get your hands on a cheap multimeter for $15-20 at Radio Shack and test volts/amps to verify the output is good.

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I have begged my friends to use UPS's, but none of them do. I've got my computer and my wifes on an older APC UPS. I've had the power go out a few times, and my computer keeps cruising.

For the rocking computers people can put together these days, spend the extra $70 - $150 on a good UPS. It will last you a long time, and through many upgrades. And when something bad happens like it did to freedomverse, you won't be affected.

I also have a pretty decent entertainment system setup in my house, and that is on a line conditioner, which I also highly recommend. One of my friends went out and dropped about 6 - 7K on a widescreen tv, receiver, and speakers. On a whimpy surge protector for it all, he ignored me telling him to get a line conditioner, hope he's not sorry in the future.

Spending $100 bucks for things like computers and stereo systems is nothing in the long run, I highly recommend it.

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink: