Can I use a friends Windows XP CD to upgrade?

Hi... I have a DELL DIMENSION T-450 Pentium III and I was wondering if
I could use a friends WinXP CD to upgrade my computer, which runs on
Win98se?

My friends Win XP is one that he got with his new DELL about a year ago
or so. My PC is certainly got enough memory (256ram) etc.. to handle
the upgrade but some people are telling me that his XP disk won't work
because it is made specifically for his PC and that I have to go out
and buy MY OWN Win XP disk.

I hope that's not the case because right now my $$$ situation is not
very good. Can I use my friends XP disk? If I can, it would make life
so much easier.

Thanks so much! (I)

LEESA
9 answers Last reply
More about friends windows upgrade

    <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi... I have a DELL DIMENSION T-450 Pentium III and I was wondering if
    > I could use a friends WinXP CD to upgrade my computer, which runs on
    > Win98se?
    >
    > My friends Win XP is one that he got with his new DELL about a year ago
    > or so. My PC is certainly got enough memory (256ram) etc.. to handle
    > the upgrade but some people are telling me that his XP disk won't work
    > because it is made specifically for his PC and that I have to go out
    > and buy MY OWN Win XP disk.
    >
    > I hope that's not the case because right now my $$$ situation is not
    > very good. Can I use my friends XP disk? If I can, it would make life
    > so much easier.
    >
    > Thanks so much! (I)
    >
    > LEESA

    Treat your self to a new PC. The one you have will not run XP satisfactorily
    plus what others have mentioned.

    Bill

    A Windows XP CD is only part of the software install. The other part is the
    Certificate of Authentication (COA), a unique code to prevent software piracy.
    After installing XP, one must "authenticate" the installation at a Micro$oft web
    site, which makes sure that the COA is valid and not previously used. In short,
    even if you have the COA from your friend's computer, the Micro$oft web site
    will catch you.

    256MB would not be quite enough to run XP comfortably, especially with a slower
    450MHz processor.

    Stick with Win 98SE until you have more money... Ben Myers

    On 22 Sep 2005 06:13:21 -0700, Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    >Hi... I have a DELL DIMENSION T-450 Pentium III and I was wondering if
    >I could use a friends WinXP CD to upgrade my computer, which runs on
    >Win98se?
    >
    >My friends Win XP is one that he got with his new DELL about a year ago
    >or so. My PC is certainly got enough memory (256ram) etc.. to handle
    >the upgrade but some people are telling me that his XP disk won't work
    >because it is made specifically for his PC and that I have to go out
    >and buy MY OWN Win XP disk.
    >
    >I hope that's not the case because right now my $$$ situation is not
    >very good. Can I use my friends XP disk? If I can, it would make life
    >so much easier.
    >
    >Thanks so much! (I)
    >
    >LEESA

    Leesa,

    You're asking two questions (whether you meant to or not).

    Will it install? Yes, it will. However, you will be STEALING a copy of
    Windows XP. Is that your intention? Not having the money right now is a
    great reason to stay with Windows 98, the operating system you PAID FOR.

    <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi... I have a DELL DIMENSION T-450 Pentium III and I was wondering if
    > I could use a friends WinXP CD to upgrade my computer, which runs on
    > Win98se?
    >
    > My friends Win XP is one that he got with his new DELL about a year ago
    > or so. My PC is certainly got enough memory (256ram) etc.. to handle
    > the upgrade but some people are telling me that his XP disk won't work
    > because it is made specifically for his PC and that I have to go out
    > and buy MY OWN Win XP disk.
    >
    > I hope that's not the case because right now my $$$ situation is not
    > very good. Can I use my friends XP disk? If I can, it would make life
    > so much easier.
    >
    > Thanks so much! (I)
    >
    > LEESA

    Thanks for all of the nice responses in this newsgroup... except for
    you Peter D. Your answer, although holds some truth, is a sarcastic
    and "wise-ass" one that I feel was uncalled for.

    >From someone who has literally spend thousands of dollars over the year
    with DELL including 2 desktops and 3 laptops.... I think they are
    making out quite OK.

    Also.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever used a frieds CD.
    It's not like I shoplifted it or something. Lighten up.... : - )
    Smile Peter... and have a nice day!

    Thanks again guys

    LEESA

    On 22 Sep 2005 06:13:21 -0700, Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    >the upgrade but some people are telling me that his XP disk won't work
    >because it is made specifically for his PC and that

    It will be tied to the source computer's bios typically.

    >I have to go out
    >and buy MY OWN Win XP disk.

    Uh, like duh... You buy it or you steal it--just because you are broke
    doesn't make stealing right, does it?

    >I hope that's not the case because right now my $$$ situation is not
    >very good. Can I use my friends XP disk? If I can, it would make life
    >so much easier.
    >
    >Thanks so much! (I)
    >
    >LEESA

    Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    > Thanks for all of the nice responses in this newsgroup... except for
    > you Peter D. Your answer, although holds some truth, is a sarcastic
    > and "wise-ass" one that I feel was uncalled for.
    >
    > >From someone who has literally spend thousands of dollars over the year
    > with DELL including 2 desktops and 3 laptops.... I think they are
    > making out quite OK.
    >
    > Also.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever used a frieds CD.
    > It's not like I shoplifted it or something. Lighten up.... : - )
    > Smile Peter... and have a nice day!

    It's unfortunate, but a lot of us become somewhat suspicious when
    we read posts like yours. Not a day goes by, where regular USENET
    contributors don't come across someone asking for "cracks" or
    a way to get "pay software" for nothing.

    Let us know what you end up doing... Eventually, someone will have
    the same problem as you.

    Take care!

    Notan

    Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    > Thanks for all of the nice responses in this newsgroup... except for
    > you Peter D. Your answer, although holds some truth, is a sarcastic
    > and "wise-ass" one that I feel was uncalled for.
    >
    >>From someone who has literally spend thousands of dollars over the year
    > with DELL including 2 desktops and 3 laptops.... I think they are
    > making out quite OK.
    >
    > Also.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever used a frieds CD.

    True, but being in the company of thieves doesn't make one any less of a
    thief.

    > It's not like I shoplifted it or something.

    It's *exactly* like that, maybe you could rethink this?

    On 22 Sep 2005 16:28:05 -0700, Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    >Thanks for all of the nice responses in this newsgroup... except for
    >you Peter D. Your answer, although holds some truth, is a sarcastic
    >and "wise-ass" one that I feel was uncalled for.

    Any time... (sorry if you are offended, but...) Think about it, you
    were asking if it was OK to pirate software!

    On 22 Sep 2005 16:28:05 -0700, Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    >Also.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever used a frieds CD.
    >It's not like I shoplifted it or something. Lighten up.... : - )
    >Smile Peter... and have a nice day!
    >
    >Thanks again guys
    >
    >LEESA

    Ohhhh well then it's ok. Now just give your address and we'll come
    "borrow" all your furniture.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Dell Windows XP CD-Rom Computers