Must enter encryption key every time

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:56:01 PM

I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g access
point.

Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When I
set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It asked
for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I went
into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP encryption,
and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able to
access the wireless network without problem.

Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn off
the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine and
type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the encryption
key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
fine.

What is going on and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

"Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g
access
> point.
>
> Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When I
> set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It asked
> for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I went
> into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP
encryption,
> and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able
> access the wireless network without problem.
>
> Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn off
> the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine
and
> type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the encryption
> key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
> fine.
>
> What is going on and how do I fix it?

A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.

You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
it.

> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> -----
> Joe S.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 5:34:30 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:34:29 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
>config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
>configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.
>
>You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
>it.

Oh yes... that bug was a winner. It seems that Linksys cleverly saves
ALL the settings for the WUSB11v1 wireless USB adaptor in the
registry. It also installs some kind of daemon that runs in the
system tray. If you accidentally imbed a control character, carriage
return, or something disgusting in the top part of the registry
values, it will wipe (or trash) the remaining values from the
registry. At least I *think* that was what was happening. That was
about 3 years ago and should have been fixed long ago. However, old
bugs tend to rise from the dead to haunt the unwary.

Incidentally, if you're concerned about secrecy, saving WEP keys in
plain text in the registry is not such a great idea. I don't know if
Linksys currently encrypts the saved keys in the registry. I guess
Intel also stores the WEP key in plain text.
http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5RP030U6BC.html
At least Orinoco saves them in encrypted form, although there are
decoders available:
http://www.cqure.net/tools.jsp?id=3
Cisco does the right thing and buries them in flash in the radio.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 8:50:59 AM

"gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g
> access
> > point.
> >
> > Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When
> > set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It
asked
> > for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I
went
> > into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP
> encryption,
> > and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able
> > access the wireless network without problem.
> >
> > Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn
off
> > the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine
> and
> > type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the
encryption
> > key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
> > fine.
> >
> > What is going on and how do I fix it?
>
> A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
> config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
> configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.
>
> You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
> it.
>

> > Thanks.

Gary:

Thanks for the tip -- that may have done the trick. I went to their website
and downloaded the only driver listed for the card -- it turned out to be a
later version of the software on the companion setup CD. I installed the
software and ran it and so far the card is working perfectly after a dozen
cycles of shutting down/turning on the laptop.

--

-----
Joe S.

> > --
> >
> > -----
> > Joe S.

July 19, 2004 10:45:14 PM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:50:59 -0400, "Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Gary:
>
>Thanks for the tip -- that may have done the trick. I went to their website
>and downloaded the only driver listed for the card -- it turned out to be a
>later version of the software on the companion setup CD. I installed the
>software and ran it and so far the card is working perfectly after a dozen
>cycles of shutting down/turning on the laptop.

Thanks from me too. I'd had a fraught weekend setting up my new
Linksys network, eventually it worked fine until I appiled some
encryption. I'd updated the router firmware but not that for the card
as the driver ref was the same as the one I'd installed. Still it's
all done now and working. I see that - at least in the UK version -
the User Manual on-line is still the same as the packaged one and does
not reflect the changed software,

Brian
!