Must enter encryption key every time

I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g access
point.

Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When I
set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It asked
for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I went
into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP encryption,
and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able to
access the wireless network without problem.

Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn off
the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine and
type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the encryption
key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
fine.

What is going on and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

    "Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g
    access
    > point.
    >
    > Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When I
    > set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It asked
    > for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I went
    > into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP
    encryption,
    > and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able
    > access the wireless network without problem.
    >
    > Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn off
    > the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine
    and
    > type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the encryption
    > key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
    > fine.
    >
    > What is going on and how do I fix it?

    A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
    config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
    configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.

    You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
    it.

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:34:29 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
    >config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
    >configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.
    >
    >You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
    >it.

    Oh yes... that bug was a winner. It seems that Linksys cleverly saves
    ALL the settings for the WUSB11v1 wireless USB adaptor in the
    registry. It also installs some kind of daemon that runs in the
    system tray. If you accidentally imbed a control character, carriage
    return, or something disgusting in the top part of the registry
    values, it will wipe (or trash) the remaining values from the
    registry. At least I *think* that was what was happening. That was
    about 3 years ago and should have been fixed long ago. However, old
    bugs tend to rise from the dead to haunt the unwary.

    Incidentally, if you're concerned about secrecy, saving WEP keys in
    plain text in the registry is not such a great idea. I don't know if
    Linksys currently encrypts the saved keys in the registry. I guess
    Intel also stores the WEP key in plain text.
    http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5RP030U6BC.html
    At least Orinoco saves them in encrypted form, although there are
    decoders available:
    http://www.cqure.net/tools.jsp?id=3
    Cisco does the right thing and buries them in flash in the radio.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a wireless network in my apartment -- running LinkSys 802.11g
    > access
    > > point.
    > >
    > > Prevously I was using a LinkSys 802.11b PCMCIA card in my laptop. When
    > > set up the access point, I set it up for WEP 128 bit encryption. It
    asked
    > > for a passphrase, I gave it one and it generated an ecryption key. I
    went
    > > into the Windows setup routine on the laptop, told it to use WEP
    > encryption,
    > > and entered the hex WEP key that the access point gave me and I was able
    > > access the wireless network without problem.
    > >
    > > Today I upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g PCMCIA card. Every time I turn
    off
    > > the laptop and turn it back on, I must go into the Windows setup routine
    > and
    > > type in the encryption key -- the laptop does not remember the
    encryption
    > > key when the laptop is turned off. After I enter the key, it works just
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > What is going on and how do I fix it?
    >
    > A problem with identical symptoms occurred on a Netgear USB adapter. The
    > config software installed out-of-box was broken, and failed to save WEP
    > configuration data across a reboot. An upgrade was required to fix it.
    >
    > You might check the Linksys web site for an upgrade. Can't hurt to install
    > it.
    >

    > > Thanks.

    Gary:

    Thanks for the tip -- that may have done the trick. I went to their website
    and downloaded the only driver listed for the card -- it turned out to be a
    later version of the software on the companion setup CD. I installed the
    software and ran it and so far the card is working perfectly after a dozen
    cycles of shutting down/turning on the laptop.

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:50:59 -0400, "Joe S." <nobody@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >Gary:
    >
    >Thanks for the tip -- that may have done the trick. I went to their website
    >and downloaded the only driver listed for the card -- it turned out to be a
    >later version of the software on the companion setup CD. I installed the
    >software and ran it and so far the card is working perfectly after a dozen
    >cycles of shutting down/turning on the laptop.

    Thanks from me too. I'd had a fraught weekend setting up my new
    Linksys network, eventually it worked fine until I appiled some
    encryption. I'd updated the router firmware but not that for the card
    as the driver ref was the same as the one I'd installed. Still it's
    all done now and working. I see that - at least in the UK version -
    the User Manual on-line is still the same as the packaged one and does
    not reflect the changed software,

    Brian

Laptops Encryption Wireless Network Wireless Networking