OK.... new XP user here who is hopelessly lost! All I want to do is be able to open my hotmail account when I select mail... So call me dumb, but I just can't figure out how to make this work in XP...

Dave,

MS Outlook is a totally separate product. NOT part of the OS and never has
been. It is typically sold as part of MS Office.

Outlook Express IS part of Internet Explorer and thus comes with the OS.

Both will do Email, but both have different features.

--

Regards,
Len Segal, MCP

"Sushi_Dave" <sushi_dave@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK.... new XP user here who is hopelessly lost! All I want to do is be
able to open my hotmail account when I select mail... So call me dumb, but I
just can't figure out how to make this work in XP...

in my opinion outlook express is the best to use - quick and easy although they are both more or less the same.
As your e-mail is a hotmail account outlook should be able to configure all the details itself as it's the worlds most popular e-mail provider.
So do as said before : click - Tools, accounts, add, mail, enter your details- name etc, next select 'http' as your incomming mail server then 'hotmail' will be an option for you to select as your 'mail service provider', then just enter the rest of your details and then Bob's your auntie's lodger - your done!

Mart

in outlook express tools>accounts>mail>add and the rest is where you enter
your email address and password
hope this helps