Operating System

Glen

Am I able to load and run Windows 98se on a computer that
has XP installed, only asking because a few programs I
have will not run on XP.

Thanks

Glen

Hi Glen,

Yes, it's possible, but certain conditions apply. If you have no free space
on the drive, you are going to need to invest in partitioning software to
make room without destroying everything you currently have. If you are using
NTFS on the boot partition (most are), then you will need a boot manager as
well.

This site can help if you have free space and a FAT32 boot partition:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

If not, look at one of these products, all of which can help you achieve
what you are asking. Specific instructions for installing Win98 would depend
on which product you choose:

Boot Managers and Partitioning programs:

BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Glen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am I able to load and run Windows 98se on a computer that
> has XP installed, only asking because a few programs I
> have will not run on XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Glen

papa

It may be worthwhile for you to consider a couple of choices, which are:

To create an undue amount of complexity, not to mention a much greater
demand on your hardware resources, by adding W98SE as a second operating
system (in addition to XP) - so that you can continue using your existing
software that will only run on W98SE.

Or keep the system simplified by staying with just Windows XP alone. Then
dump the older and probably outmoded software that only runs on W98SE and
install more recent and more capable software replacements that will run on
XP.

As they say, sooner or later you must bite the bullet.

"Glen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am I able to load and run Windows 98se on a computer that
> has XP installed, only asking because a few programs I
> have will not run on XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Glen

Hi

You unstall XP, then create a partition using the FDISK command and then load windows 98 on one partition and XP in the other. Please install the DOS boot in the Hrad drive i.e. C:
regards

dharma

look for the shortcut of the program that refuse to run over winxp.

right click on it > properties > compatibility tab > check "run this program
in compatibility mode for:" > choose windows 98/me.

click on apply then ok.

check again if your program works correctly then on winxp.

hope this helps.
--
the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
your replies may not be received. if you want to send a reply to this

"Glen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Am I able to load and run Windows 98se on a computer that
> has XP installed, only asking because a few programs I
> have will not run on XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Glen

Hi I have been following this thread. I am attempting to
set up xp from win me also. I thought xp had to be on the
first partition. It says winMe has to be on the first
partition. I do have partition magic. But am unsure what
to do. Thanks

Gordon

"Midwest" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have been following this thread. I am attempting to
> set up xp from win me also. I thought xp had to be on the
> first partition. It says winMe has to be on the first
> partition.

that is certainly the case if you wish to dual boot your system.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Gordon" <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Midwest" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I have been following this thread. I am attempting to
> > set up xp from win me also. I thought xp had to be on the
> > first partition. It says winMe has to be on the first
> > partition.
>
> that is certainly the case if you wish to dual boot your system.

Not true, it will work if XP is loaded onto a FAT partition. The problem
with using NTFS (in this case) is that FAT cannot write to NTFS, and then it
wouldn't work. If he has NTFS, then using a good bootloader would do the
trick also.