Do I qualify for a XP upgrade?

I think at one time DELL was giving free upgrades when a new operating
system came out. I have a DELL PIII T-450 and was wondering if I
qualify for an XP upgrade from Dell.

Thanks

LEESA
16 answers Last reply
More about qualify upgrade

    Oh my, I guess I don't qualify. I got my PC back in early 1999. It is
    a Dimension T-450 PII with Win98se on it. I guess I'll be heading out
    to Staples and shelling out the $80 bucks for the upgrade.

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    Thanks... 256 mb of RAM.... BTW, the whole reason I am considering an
    upgrade is because all of a sudden, I cannot start my computer.

    When I start it up... I enter my password and it will load for a
    little while then I get this error message...

    The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to
    missing export NTDLL.DLL:RTLGetNTversionnumbers.

    I Googled that and the fix is a little complicated. Evidently I need
    to somehow get that file, and either put it on a floppy and install it
    or I need to EXTRACT it from a Win98 CD.

    Since I probably will be putting the XP upgrade on hold... I have a few
    more questions.

    1 -- Do I need to install BOTH of these files, or just the first one?
    There seems to be conflicting information about this.

    2 -- Can I extract these files from an XP disk, just in case I cannot
    get ahold of a 98se disk? If I can... how would I go about extracting
    it from an XP disk?

    Thank You again.

    Leesa

    Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    > I think at one time DELL was giving free upgrades when a new operating
    > system came out. I have a DELL PIII T-450 and was wondering if I
    > qualify for an XP upgrade from Dell.

    Details, Leesa. Details.

    When did you purchase the system?

    What was the OS? How much memory does the system have?

    Etc., etc., etc.

    Notan

    Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:

    > Oh my, I guess I don't qualify. I got my PC back in early 1999. It is
    > a Dimension T-450 PII with Win98se on it. I guess I'll be heading out
    > to Staples and shelling out the $80 bucks for the upgrade.

    Again, how much memory?

    Notan

    No. The only upgrades were for computers bought shortly
    before the release of
    windows XP. Form example the machine I bought on 5/1/01 did
    not qualify,
    while the one I bought on 8/1/01 came with a certificate to
    get XP for $20.

    Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >Again, how much memory?

    From another thread, 256M.

    I'm with Tom, it _can_ be upgraded but it's probably not worth it. $80
    for the OS upgrade, $100 for more memory, $100 for a new hard drive,
    and you are most of the way to a new low-end machine that's 10X as
    good/fast the one you have today.

    Save your lunch money till you can afford a new one.

    Leesa,

    I wouldn't do that. You're barely at the minimum. I'd suggest a clean
    install of 98. It's a good operating system and will run more comfortably
    on your machine.

    Tom
    > Oh my, I guess I don't qualify. I got my PC back in early 1999. It is
    > a Dimension T-450 PII with Win98se on it. I guess I'll be heading out
    > to Staples and shelling out the $80 bucks for the upgrade.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:
    > I think at one time DELL was giving free upgrades when a new operating
    > system came out. I have a DELL PIII T-450 and was wondering if I
    > qualify for an XP upgrade from Dell.

    > Thanks

    > LEESA

    I'm going to thread jack, sorry Leesa.

    Does Dell provide XP SP2 CDs to customers who previously bought a system with
    XP or XP SP1?

    James wrote:

    > Leesa_Tay@softhome.net wrote:
    > > I think at one time DELL was giving free upgrades when a new operating
    > > system came out. I have a DELL PIII T-450 and was wondering if I
    > > qualify for an XP upgrade from Dell.
    >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > > LEESA
    >
    > I'm going to thread jack, sorry Leesa.
    >
    > Does Dell provide XP SP2 CDs to customers who previously bought a system with
    > XP or XP SP1?

    Try Microsoft.

    Notan

    Leesa,

    You're running 98. It's easy with 98. Put your 98 CD in and reboot.
    Reinstall ALL of 98, but when it asks you if you want to reformat or delete
    the existing version of Windows, make sure you say no.

    Windows 98 reinstalls over itself quite nicely.

    Tom
    > Thanks... 256 mb of RAM.... BTW, the whole reason I am considering an
    > upgrade is because all of a sudden, I cannot start my computer.
    >
    > When I start it up... I enter my password and it will load for a
    > little while then I get this error message...
    >
    > The MSVCRT.DLL file is linked to
    > missing export NTDLL.DLL:RTLGetNTversionnumbers.
    >
    > I Googled that and the fix is a little complicated. Evidently I need
    > to somehow get that file, and either put it on a floppy and install it
    > or I need to EXTRACT it from a Win98 CD.
    >
    > Since I probably will be putting the XP upgrade on hold... I have a few
    > more questions.
    >
    > 1 -- Do I need to install BOTH of these files, or just the first one?
    > There seems to be conflicting information about this.
    >
    > 2 -- Can I extract these files from an XP disk, just in case I cannot
    > get ahold of a 98se disk? If I can... how would I go about extracting
    > it from an XP disk?
    >
    > Thank You again.
    >
    > Leesa

    No.
    Neither does Microsoft, especially not for your OEM.
    But, you may be able to slipstream:
    http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235&catid=1&highlight=slipstream

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > You're running 98. It's easy with 98. Put your 98 CD in and reboot.
    > Reinstall ALL of 98, but when it asks you if you want to reformat or
    > delete the existing version of Windows, make sure you say no.
    >
    > Windows 98 reinstalls over itself quite nicely.

    Are you absolutely sure about that Tom?

    The one time I tried that (on a Toshiba laptop), I ended up with a
    unusable system and had to reformat and reinstall.

    Leesa, in any case be sure to back-up everything important before
    attempting any kind of (re-)install.

    "Hans S" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote:
    >Tom Scales wrote:
    >> Windows 98 reinstalls over itself quite nicely.

    >Are you absolutely sure about that Tom?

    I've done it many times as well, and it workd nicely.

    >The one time I tried that (on a Toshiba laptop), I ended up with a
    >unusable system and had to reformat and reinstall.

    Of course, it's a computer, so stff will happen.

    >Leesa, in any case be sure to back-up everything important before
    >attempting any kind of (re-)install.

    That's good advice anyway, but especially when doing significant
    software changes.

    "Hans S" <i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >
    >> You're running 98. It's easy with 98. Put your 98 CD in and reboot.
    >> Reinstall ALL of 98, but when it asks you if you want to reformat or
    >> delete the existing version of Windows, make sure you say no.
    >>
    >> Windows 98 reinstalls over itself quite nicely.
    >
    > Are you absolutely sure about that Tom?
    >
    > The one time I tried that (on a Toshiba laptop), I ended up with a
    > unusable system and had to reformat and reinstall.
    >
    > Leesa, in any case be sure to back-up everything important before
    > attempting any kind of (re-)install.

    I've probably done it 200 times, all successfully. No guarantees though.

    More importantly, it's a computer running Micro$oft WINDOWS, so anything can
    happen... Ben Myers

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >More importantly, it's a computer running Micro$oft WINDOWS, so anything can
    >happen... Ben Myers

    Yeah, well a friend just upgraded an app on his Linux machine, it
    removed components it was going to upgrade, then failed to find one of
    the upgrade files, so his GUI was gone (due to an application
    upgrade!). IMNSHO, and IMNSLE, any software is subject to unexpected
    problems, and backups are your friend.

Dell Windows XP Computers