SSL error connecting to smtp

I have recently purchased a new computer with XP PRO. I was able to set it up to get my POP3 Mail and sent my smtp mail using Outlook Express.
Then I installed Office 2003 using my Express configuration. Since that time I can receive my POP mail but I am unable to send. I get the message:-
"The connection to the server has failed Account 'Tiscali';Protocol smtp, port 25,Secure (SSL); No, Socket Error; 10060 Error No: 0x800ccc0e."
I still get the problem when I remove office and use Outlook Express.
I have partially installed .NET but did not receive my password to complete this.
My e-mail is mike.coleman@tiscali.co.uk

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Mike Coleman
3 answers Last reply
More about error connecting smtp

    Mike Coleman wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a new computer with XP PRO. I was able to
    > set it up to get my POP3 Mail and sent my smtp mail using Outlook
    > Express. Then I installed Office 2003 using my Express configuration.
    > Since that time I can receive my POP mail but I am unable to send. I
    > get the message:- "The connection to the server has failed Account
    > 'Tiscali';Protocol smtp, port 25,Secure (SSL); No, Socket Error;
    > 10060 Error No: 0x800ccc0e."
    > I still get the problem when I remove office and use Outlook Express.
    > I have partially installed .NET but did not receive my password to
    > complete this.
    > My e-mail is mike.coleman@tiscali.co.uk
    >
    > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Mike Coleman

    Disable emailing scanning by your AV application. It is not necessary
    and affords no added protection. Check after disabling that your server
    configuration has not being changed by your AV application to
    "localhost".
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Kath

    Many thanks for your response. I have checked as you suggested to no avail.

    I had already removed Norton AV and my server set up achieves connection for Internet, and I get my POP3 mail.

    I would greatly appreciate any further thoughts.

    Mike Coleman

    ----- Kath Adams wrote: -----

    Mike Coleman wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a new computer with XP PRO. I was able to
    > set it up to get my POP3 Mail and sent my smtp mail using Outlook
    > Express. Then I installed Office 2003 using my Express configuration.
    > Since that time I can receive my POP mail but I am unable to send. I
    > get the message:- "The connection to the server has failed Account
    > 'Tiscali';Protocol smtp, port 25,Secure (SSL); No, Socket Error;
    > 10060 Error No: 0x800ccc0e."
    > I still get the problem when I remove office and use Outlook Express.
    > I have partially installed .NET but did not receive my password to
    > complete this.
    > My e-mail is mike.coleman@tiscali.co.uk
    >> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
    >> Mike Coleman

    Disable emailing scanning by your AV application. It is not necessary
    and affords no added protection. Check after disabling that your server
    configuration has not being changed by your AV application to
    "localhost".
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    "Mike Coleman" said in
    > I have recently purchased a new computer with XP PRO. I was able to
    > set it up to get my POP3 Mail and sent my smtp mail using Outlook
    > Express. Then I installed Office 2003 using my Express configuration.
    > Since that time I can receive my POP mail but I am unable to send. I
    > get the message:- "The connection to the server has failed Account
    > 'Tiscali';Protocol smtp, port 25,Secure (SSL); No, Socket Error;
    > 10060 Error No: 0x800ccc0e."
    > I still get the problem when I remove office and use Outlook Express.
    > I have partially installed .NET but did not receive my password to
    > complete this.
    > My e-mail is mike.coleman@tiscali.co.uk
    >
    > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Mike Coleman

    Your e-mail provider may require that you authenticate to their SMTP
    server (besides authenticating to their POP3 server). Enable
    authentication on the outbound server (SMTP); you can opt to reuse the
    login username and password for the POP3 server or specify it
    separately.

    Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

Outlook Express SMTP Windows XP