Limiting file/folder share over network

I have a network of 5 computers each running XP-Pro. How can I allow only 3
computers to read each other's more confidential files/folders but have less
private folders readable between all 5.

Thanks

Hugh

Gordon

In news:qQZcc.28192$h44.3939539@stones.force9.net,
Hugh Gilmore <hugh@gilmore.plus.com> typed:
> I have a network of 5 computers each running XP-Pro. How can I allow
> only 3 computers to read each other's more confidential files/folders
> but have less private folders readable between all 5.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hugh

Presumably a peer-to-peer network? Then if so, you can amend the permissions
for the accounts on each machine.

Thanks. Yes, it is a peer-to-peer network. Please outline how I amend a
computer's permission for the accounts?

Hugh

In news:uO_cc.30903$Y%6.3816086@wards.force9.net,
Hugh Gilmore <hugh@gilmore.plus.com> typed:
> Thanks. Yes, it is a peer-to-peer network. Please outline how I amend
> a computer's permission for the accounts?
>
> Hugh
>
> "Gordon" <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>

>> In news:qQZcc.28192$h44.3939539@stones.force9.net,
>> Hugh Gilmore <hugh@gilmore.plus.com> typed:
>>> I have a network of 5 computers each running XP-Pro. How can I allow
>>> only 3 computers to read each other's more confidential
>>> files/folders but have less private folders readable between all 5.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hugh
>>
>> Presumably a peer-to-peer network? Then if so, you can amend the
>> permissions for the accounts on each machine.

Basically, in a peer-to-peer network, each machine must have the SAME user
set up with the SAME password and the SAME access rights as the machine that
needs to access it. So, on the machine to which you wish to restrict access,
log on as administrator, and deny that user access to the files and folders
you don't want them to see. (Right click on the File or Folder, choose
Properties and go to the Security tab. If you don't see the Security tab,
then you need to turn off Simple File Sharing in Explorer-Tools-Folder
Options-View and scroll right to the bottom)

HTH

TRENDING THREADS