Computer Cases..Help?

legocb1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2002
I posted the K7S5A tread and im am interested in a new case ar a better case if anyone has any suggestions please tell me.

Computers are the world!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey L,

I just got a OCSystems.com Aluminum case for $93, no PS & I have a 500 watt Raidmax PS on backorder with Newegg.com. The case is a very nice SkyHawk Mid-Tower, with 2 extra blow-holes cut into it with 80mm fans. Or for $70 you can get the same case with no extra blow-holes. Very nice finish, and very light.

Peace Out..........tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I like my Antec Workstation 830 model. It's just about the size of a full tower, and comes with 2 Antec Fans. I bought if for $79 after a $20 rebate from best buy a while back.

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
with cases generally quality = $$$
steel cases are almost always cheaper, but heavier, typically less well constructed, and dont radiate heat as well.

if you want a decent aluminium case then its gonna cost you a bit, but its a good investment.
well known brands include
antec
skyhawk
lian li
enermax
coolermaster
liteon

generally i reccomend you get a case WITHOUT a PSU. it will be cheaper plus you can custom pick your powersupply or transfer over the one from your old case. of PSU brands i reccomend Enermax or Toptower.

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I think it's a big waste of money buying aluminum cases if you don't move it around a lot. There is nothing going for aluminum except the weight, they're not better in any other way.

"typically less well constructed" You got to be kidding stating something like that. There is loads of well designed steel cases, but if you compare it to the 10$ no name ones (which you get when you buy store system specials) then yes it is better.

"and dont radiate heat as well" It shouldn't have to radiate any heat, if a case get that warm then there is a major cooling problem in there. If it's cool like most of the cases, then it makes no difference. Couple of 5$ case fans can take care of the case heat problem instead of paying 50%+ more for a case (and the company name).

I have no clue who started that blatant stupidity about radiating heat in aluminum case (it's not you I know), but he/she should be tied up in the center of the market and let people throw rotten fruits at him/her.

Next somebody will come out with another case made of whatever and people will believe it's the best and buy it for twice as much as the aluminum cases. It's all in the advertising, making it sound better than it is to sell more.

Anyway, like I said, if you need something lighter to carry around then go for aluminum, if not then don't waste your money on it just to be able to say you got an aluminum case.

Now what's the deal with the voices in my head again? ;)

<font color=red>We born naked and screaming, then it gets worse.</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
"typically less well constructed" compared to aluminium cases... all the ones ive ever come accross have been extreemly high quality.
course there are steel ones that come close/equal, but ive seen loads that dont.

plus ive seen first had that alluminium cases radiate better, specifically the hard drives in drive enclosures and the powersupply.
course what these things have in common is metal to metal contact. admittedly its not much, but its nice to know its there.

your probably right about the price and marketing thou.
i see it as high cost of aluminum cases = people dont buy many = uncommon = high prices

plus i wouldnt think the companies want them to become very common as they wont make as much from selling them.

oh, and that screaming voice in your head is my Hamster! :smile:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
newegg sells <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manufactory=1400&DEPA=1" target="_new">Enermax cases</A> which come with a decent PS.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Yeah, check out newegg.com. I just got an Enlight case with a 300wt PSU for only $44.00 bucks. Can't beat that if you want highly rated case without spending a lot of money.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey A,

"I think it's a big waste of money buying aluminum cases if you don't move it around a lot. There is nothing going for aluminum except the weight, they're not better in any other way." How much does a High Quality Steel case cost? About $100 for a Antec(with 330 watt PS). How much does a Aluminum case cost: $70- for a Sky Hawk from OCSystems.com + $50 for a Enermax 350 watt PS = $120.........wow I am wasting a whole $20.

Yeah you might be right about the Aluminum case doing Jack for cooling & I am definetly very stupid. In my search for a cooler quieter system that can handle the OC'ing, I am trying a Aluminum Case(it comes with 6 80mm fans). I have a heavily mod'ed steel case & Enermax 430 watt PS, running a Athlon XP 1800+, OCZ Goliath HSF w/ helicopter LOUD 8000rpm fan on a EPoX 8KHA+ mobo & 512mb of OCZ PC2400 DDR, with a Gainward golden sample GeForce3 Ti200 video card. This steel case has 2 120mm fans(1 blowing right on the side at the cpu & chipset, & the other exhausting straight up between the PS & DVD-Rom) & 5 80mm fans(2 in & 3 out). Under full load, the case with all fans going gets warm, at idle with the 120mm fans off the case gets moderately warm. Everything in my system is OC'ed that I could OC........cpu, fsb, video card, and ram. If this Aluminum case even drops my temps 5c, I will be very happy. I am waiting on a new Raidmax 500 watt PS, before I put it together. You are not the first person to call me stupid, but I have to find out for myself if this Aluminum case stuff is a scam.

If it is a hoax, I have only lost $100(case only), but it makes up for that in its shiny new looks. For me it won't be a waste, because I have to know the truth & see it with my own eyes. I'll get back to you with the verdict if you like & you can tell me I told you so, if you are right.

Peace Out.............tile

P.S. everyone hates the noise & it's even starting to get to me. If this doesn't work, I am going to waste more money on a Koolance Case............or buy a 2.4 P4

G

Steel cases don't radiate heat as well???

Aside from the questions about whether one should be depending on the case to do any significant heat radiation, aren't most if not all steel alloys (mostly iron) superior conductors to aluminum?

Heck, by the radiation argument, we should all be going for COPPER cases! Big ol' *green* machine... ;-)

G

Now where did I see that bronze, rhinestone-studded Elvis case?

The bronze is partially composed of copper (to radiate heat). The rhinestones are just there to radiate CLASS....

dhlucke

Polypheme
The most enjoyable case I've worked with is the Antec SX1040, but there are other Antec models that are great too. Check out their site.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
The only bad thing I ever noticed about cheap steel cases is that the size always screwed up (forget it if you use large boards like me, raid ones), they're just too damn small. The ones are from big names look pretty darn decent and work pretty well, it show that they were doing some thinking.

Yeah the drive cooling through the top plate and 4 screws on the side to the case is pretty pathetic considering that they didn't bother making them better since they started making them. I used to have a 100 or so Mb million years old drive and other than the size (like a small fridge) it looked just like the latest model you can buy. I don't know why they don't spend a penny at least on making the whole top of it like a heatsink, nothing tall but something that would help to cool it faster. Just an idea since people already install heatsinks and even fans on drives for better cooling.

About the aluminum cases. I would like to scratch one, give it some humidity and see what happens. Somehow I got this feeling that it's not even close to pure aluminum, more like fences they sell as aluminum which are for real pretty light but start rusting the moment it get scratched. Pure aluminum doesn't rust, it's easy to shape, can wear out like old pots getting holes after years of sliding them on the stove, but never seen it rust. Did I say this already? God knows, that damn hamster driving me insane LOL ;)

<font color=red>We born naked and screaming, then it gets worse.</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
erm... gettin scientific here....

steel (iron) has a greater heat capacity i belive than aluminium, in part due to its greater specific weight and density, but aluminium byfar outstripps iron with thermal conductivity. why do u think u dont see any iron heatsinks?
(once when cpus and gpu's didnt put out much heat iron heatsinks did exist. but they definately dont cut it with todays CPU's)

a copper case huh? there u go... a good idea for a novel casemod.

you could have polished copper that was laquered, forever keeping the copper colour, or let it wear and subject it to acid or rain in order to eventually obtain the classic "green patina" colour.
or u could pass a blowtoarch over it, giving it the shiney mottled look.

would be a bloody heavy case though... pure copper is quite soft, so would have to be thick and would still be prone to dints & scratches :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
gettin scientific AGAIN :smile:

aluminium doesnt corrode (rust) like iron or steel (assuming your dumb enough to let it get wet)

aluminium actually corrodes very quickly in comparison, but while iron oxide is orange/brown and goes flakey, aluminium oxide forms a transparent impermiable layer over the surface of the metal, preventing further corrosion.

so if you deliberately scratch a piece of aluminium, within a couple of minutes the oxide layer has allready formed and no further corrosion will occur.

are exceptions to the rule though... immersing aluminium in slightly basic or acidic water then scratching the surface will cause it to corrode, and the acid/water prevents the oxide layer from forming. so u can watch it merrily bubble away, eventually corroding a deep pit where u scratched it.

salts + water also isnt good, as shown by aluminum exposed to ltos of seawater and salt spray. unless enammeled or protected with some other surface it will pitt badly.

thus ends the science lesson :)

P.S. for great fun at home, get a glass jar, fill it with water + drano, caustic soda, oven cleaner, or drain cleaner then add some aluminium (foil is best). watch it fizz & steam!
as the solution is highly caustic i reccomend u do it away from everything, including yourself. castic burns can be bad if u dont wash it off quickly.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey Crashman,

I was refering to my individual case. I have a very loud HSF(OCZ Goliath w/ 8000 rpm fan) and 2 120mm cases fans. To run my system OC'ed at 55c I need all this stuff.

I was praying that with a new Aluminim case that it would drop my system temps low enough to run a T.I. Dr. Thermal V77L HSF and still OC. I am waitting on a Raidmax 500 watt PS & then I will transfer the old system into the new case. With the same kind of fans/HSF's I think you are right the Aluminim cases will be louder. I am not using the same fans, I am using smaller fans & a quieter HSF.

Peace Out..............tile

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Maybe where you live it cost that much, here aluminum cases cost 200 to 400 (Canadian), a decent steel case cost you between 90 to 200.

I could put money on it that there will be cases called aluminum because it got 10% or less aluminum in it (would explain the low cost you mentioned). It's like stuff you buy in the store saying "<font color=red>made with apples</font color=red>", but there is not a trace of apples in it, the ones with apples are advertised as "<font color=red>made from apples</font color=red>". A perfectly legal hole in the advertising laws and customers have no clue unless they read the label. Now cases are aluminum, but is it <font color=green>100%</font color=green>, <font color=orange>75%</font color=orange>, or <font color=red>50%</font color=red> aluminum? It takes me back to the aluminum fence I got around the house and rusting where it got scratched, it was sold as aluminum and it can't be 100% because it does rust (the idea behind aluminum fence was that it will last longer than anything else).

I didn't call you stupid, think I never did that. You buy whatever you want, it's your money and I couldn't care less how you spend it. I just have my opinions about things and sometimes might come out strong telling people about them. ;)

(this post supposed to be right after my last one, but had to go watch stuff on TV :))

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
My mother use cooking pots made of 100% aluminum, they last forever (at least she got them long as I can remember).

As for science, I married a biochemist researcher who's working in collaboration with the US FDA and the US ARMY. I have my share of science talk at home thanks, except stuff she can't talk about. ;)

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey AndrewT,

I am sorry about my ignorance of your Canadian dollars & their value in regard to computer components.

Your first point is a good one, you are right in thinking that soon, if not already people are selling cheap Aluminized Steel(like automotive exhaust components) as "Aluminium". About the % of Aluminim in my cheap($93 USD) Sky Hawk modified(from OCSystems.com) case....... as I am not a chemist or work with the different grades of Aluminium, I cannot say. I will tell you this, it is about half the weight of my steel case. I am also very sure it will not be as strong as my steel case.

It's okay to have a opinion, & to speak your mind. It's all free here anyway. I hope everyone here, uses the advice as just a guide & not as the truth. For me, I don't know if this Aluminium case will help me at all, I just thought, why not give it a try..............it's not that much more here than a quality steel case & it looks good. Either way, I am a light sleeper/heavy insomniac........and this was keeping up at night(I have a friend with a Lian Li case, that runs 10c cooler than mine, with no extra mods).

Stay Strong, only the weak will not be able to understand you.

Peace Out............tile

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Don't sweat it, having missunderstandings when using text instead of voice is pretty common, also you never know if the other person live on your street or half the world away from you. ;)

Yes! Car parts, fences you name it. Anyway, people will find out sooner or later when something is bad or false advertising. There is nothing more powerful than word of mouth info on something good or bad, when people keep hearing that something is bad they will stear clear from it even if it's advertised to be better than the best.

Hey if the case going to help you sleep better because it will need less fans to keep it cool then great, guess beside mine you would be up for days. :) Lucky I sleep at the other end of the house so can't hear anything, I sleep like a bear anyway.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey AndrewT,

You are a lucky man! I have this day-dream of one day sleeping with all my computers running. I live in a small house with computer room on the other side of the wall of my bedroom. Maybe one day I will hit the lottery or something. Until then, I am still searching for the balance between OC'ing what I have & Peace and Sanity(with Insanity in the lead).

Peace Out.............tile

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
do the manufacturers of the aluminum cases tell you what grade aluminum they use? not sure which number is better for heat dissipation, but i do know that anything above 6000 is aircraft grade. like my mountain bike is 7005 heat treated double butted aluminum. i dont know how good of a heatsink my bike would be, but i know it is strong...so maybe the higher the number, the stronger it is. i dont know...for sure.
anyone know what the case manufacturers use, and which number is the best for dissipation?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Bike frame cooler -- there's an idea! And since the frame is hollow, you can pump water through it too to make it extra cool....

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....okay now you're just being mean.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
let's test it, sorry HJ we need your bike! LOL ;)

Tile, get a pentium 4 and it will be a silent case. I'm thinking of doing that, make the fans spin half speed and silent. hmmm what a dream :) So far it looks like by the time AMD hit real 2GHz Intel will be out with the 3GHz CPU, no clue why is the stall at AMD (not like I need a 3GHZ or even a 2GHz cpu, but it was fun to watch the race and see prices falling at the low end).

Anyone in Montreal want to donate a MS keyboard leg? I broke mine and so far nobody able to help me to get one. :( Don't want to be nasty and buy one just to return it with one leg missing, I would hate to be one who get something new and something missing from it.