ChrisG27

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I'm planning on building a system and I'm wondering which upgrade is worth it. Should I go with a lower priced KT266a motherboard and a fast CPU (ECS K7VTA3 and AMD XP2000) or a higher priced KT333 motherboard and a slower CPU (Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and AMD XP1700)ANy other mobo and CPU combo recomendations are welcome.

Thanks

Chris

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Given that the KT333 only gives a small performance boost above the KT266A, i would reccomend you invest in a faster CPU or graphics card.

P.S. personally i would stay away from ECS anyway. possibly the best KT266A motherboard is the one produced by soltek...

allthough, in some instances ive seen the KT333 being sold for cheaper than the KT266A, like the epox 8k3a, so you could get both a faster cpu AND the kt333.

P.S. you dont have to use the more expensive PC2700 ram either. can use standard PC2100 if you wish. (just make sure its a decent brand)

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

G

Forget VIA... get an nForce mobo and PC2100... avoid ECS- they're too unpredictable... better to get a high quality mobo like an Abit, Shuttle, MSI or Asus... don't chintz out on the most important component in your whole 'puter.
Try Abit NV7133-R for RAID and no video or NV7-M for video and no RAID. The NV7-M is almost as cheap as the ECS and is rock-solid-stable with high performance... the onboard sound, NIC and video will save you enough to buy a faster processor unless you can't live without a GF4.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey C,

My take on the whole cpu vs. mobo thing: 1st if you can, wait for the "Thoughbreds" to come out. If you can't wait, buy the best mobo that you can(do your homework & research the sites like this one & anandtech.........don't believe all the posts about anything that sounds unreal). The reason I say you should get the best mobo(with mobo's not all the big $ ones are the best, EPoX is making some great mobo's right now) that you can, is, it is much easier to change out the cpu, than the mobo. If you change the cpu, all you have to do is turn off your pc, remove the HSF, clean the HSF, clean the new cpu, drop in the new cpu, apply the thermal grease(follow the directions, do not over do the grease), remount the HSF, plug in the fan, & thats that. If you upgrade just the mobo, you have to do all that and disconnect & reconnect all the cables & power lines, plus YOU HAVE TO REFORMAT YOUR HDD & REINSTALL YOUR OS & DRIVERS. This is why I say get the best mobo that you can, you can always upgrade your cpu, when you have more cash or the prices come down. Do what ever makes more sense to you, it's your PC & your cash. Good Luck & be happy with your decision...........nothings perfect anyway, all you can do is make the best choice with the info that you have at the time that you bought everything.

Peace Out..........tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Well said.
To add to confusion... I just picked up the Shuttle AK31a. It was only $67 bucks and you get an extra $5 bucks off if you by a cpu with it. This may not be the fastest benchmarking board but it's stable as hell.
Prices are from newegg.com, btw.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey J,

Nah, I love the Shuttle AK31a mobo, I have built 4 systems for my friends with it(I tried the ECS K75SA, but I had one DOA out of 2 systems, so I went back to using the AK31a). It is not that much slower than anything that is out right now. It is the best, no problems ever budget mobo that I have used! I also love newegg.com, they really put your order together & ship it faster than anyone else!

Peace Out............tile

Just waiting for the next "Big" thing like everyone else?