New PC replacing dead PC

ahall

Tomorrow I am delivering my mother's new PC
to her.

I am going to take the hard drive out of her
old box, put in into an external USB enclosure
and get her old files from there.

Should I do it by hand? All she needs is
email/address book, quicken data files and
her documents.

Would it be at all easier to use the XP File
and Settings Transfer wizard? Would that recognize
an external HD as the source in the first place?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ahall@no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> Tomorrow I am delivering my mother's new PC
> to her.

> I am going to take the hard drive out of her
> old box, put in into an external USB enclosure
> and get her old files from there.

> Should I do it by hand? All she needs is
> email/address book, quicken data files and
> her documents.

> Would it be at all easier to use the XP File
> and Settings Transfer wizard? Would that recognize
> an external HD as the source in the first place?

> Thanks,

A new system should have a big fat HDD in it, probably bigger
or much bigger than the one it's replacing.

Copy the entire old system's drive over to the new drive. Throw
it into a directory called OLDSYS. If redundancy doesn't bother
you, ghost the old partition as well and store that on the new
drive. Then copy obvious data into it's proper home on the new
file system.

Delete OLDSYS and ghost files after a year or less than 10GB of
remaining drive space left, whichever occurs first.

I wouldn't trust automated utilities.

Andrew;
F.A.S.T. works very well.
If there are problems with F.A.S.T. you can easily use another less
convenient method to transfer data with no harm done.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Tomorrow I am delivering my mother's new PC
> to her.
>
> I am going to take the hard drive out of her
> old box, put in into an external USB enclosure
> and get her old files from there.
>
> Should I do it by hand? All she needs is
> email/address book, quicken data files and
> her documents.
>
> Would it be at all easier to use the XP File
> and Settings Transfer wizard? Would that recognize
> an external HD as the source in the first place?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

TRENDING THREADS