Changing "Docs & Settings" user folder name

April 7, 2004 11:59:39 PM

I have changed the name of a user (it is the original or
first user) in my XP (home edition) set-up, but the folder
for that user under "Documents and Settings" is still the
old name, and XP won't let me change it manually. How do
I fix that?
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 7:42:36 PM

you can create another account so that the folder would have the name you
want. changing the account name does not change the folder name.

you need to have admin priveleges in order to this. also, make sure you
copy your documents from the old folder to the new folder.

hope this helps.
--
the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
your replies may not be received. if you want to send a reply to this

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have changed the name of a user (it is the original or
> first user) in my XP (home edition) set-up, but the folder
> for that user under "Documents and Settings" is still the
> old name, and XP won't let me change it manually. How do
> I fix that?
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:30:12 PM

I'm having the same problem. New to WinXP...
Just "bought/received" a system (Compaq presario runnng xp home edition)
from my son who bought a "newer/faster/better" system.
Would like to change his name(nathan) to mine (lewis) on everything.
Set up a new user account with my name but cannot get everything else to
change: Documents and settings, etc.etc.
Also, do I need to contact MS for winxp register or "just leave it alone".

Suggestions please,
L.

!