Address bar missing in file explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,

Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know that
normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar" normally
displays the address bar.
The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot be
selected (and so are a few other items).
How do I go to change that?

Thanks a lot

Jean-Marc

Hi,

If you see it and it's greyed-out, then there is likely a group policy in
effect. It prevents users in a corporate work environment from using Windows
Explorer to surf the 'net when their access to Internet Explorer is blocked.
If you have sufficient priviledges, then start/run gpedit.msc, check the
settings under User configurations.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jean-Marc" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know that
> normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar" normally
> displays the address bar.
> The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot be
> selected (and so are a few other items).
> How do I go to change that?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Jean-Marc

Hi,
It's a standalone PC not on any corporate network.
I didn't see any settings to re-enable the address bar.
Luck I will need in order to use Windows XP...

Jean-Marc

> Hi,
>
> If you see it and it's greyed-out, then there is likely a group policy in
> effect. It prevents users in a corporate work environment from using
Windows
> Explorer to surf the 'net when their access to Internet Explorer is
blocked.
> If you have sufficient priviledges, then start/run gpedit.msc, check the
> settings under User configurations.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
> Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jean-Marc" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know that
> > normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar"
normally
> > displays the address bar.
> > The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot be
> > selected (and so are a few other items).
> > How do I go to change that?
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> >
> > Jean-Marc

Hi,

Assuming you are using an adming account, then I would suspect perhaps that
some spy or ad program has infiltrated itself on your system. Download and
run Adaware from www.lavasoft.de and see what it finds.

--

> Hi,
> It's a standalone PC not on any corporate network.
> I didn't see any settings to re-enable the address bar.
> Luck I will need in order to use Windows XP...
>
> Jean-Marc

>> Hi,
>>
>> If you see it and it's greyed-out, then there is likely a group policy in
>> effect. It prevents users in a corporate work environment from using
> Windows
>> Explorer to surf the 'net when their access to Internet Explorer is
> blocked.
>> If you have sufficient priviledges, then start/run gpedit.msc, check the
>> settings under User configurations.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
>> Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Jean-Marc" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know
>> > that
>> > normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar"
> normally
>> > displays the address bar.
>> > The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot be
>> > selected (and so are a few other items).
>> > How do I go to change that?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot
>> >
>> > Jean-Marc

"Jean-Marc" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know
> that normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar"
> normally displays the address bar.
> The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot
> be selected (and so are a few other items).
> How do I go to change that?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Jean-Marc

toolbar options are locked, go to
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm
Scroll down to "32 Toolbars are locked - Unable to customize toolbar and
tool band

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi! Were you able to fix your problem and if so please HOW? My post is above by xprodata. I am having the same problem and cannot resolve it. Could it be caused by upgrading from xp home to xp professional? Thank you!

"Jean-Marc" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Talking about Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer), I know that
> normally going to the menu "View" >> "Toolbars" >> "Address Bar" normally
> displays the address bar.
> The problem is that the "Address Bar" menu item is dimmed and cannot be
> selected (and so are a few other items).
> How do I go to change that?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Jean-Marc

Mark_Mark

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Un-Locked Toolbar

Fix this for me, it was because I had the toolbar locked, this caused the address bar not to show.
Unlocked toolbar and then was able to drag the address bar below the toolbar.

menu option is "Lock the Toolbars"
hope this helps someone.

Mark