XP crashes when on-line

I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."

This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
Netscape Navigator 7.1

This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
Windows ME on it so I can still work online.

Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Sincere thanks,
Anu Skinner
6 answers Last reply
More about crashes line

    "Anu Skinner" said in news:19d2701c41d1f$59fab210$a401280a@phx.gbl:
    > I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
    > problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
    > message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
    > Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."
    >
    > This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
    > Netscape Navigator 7.1
    >
    > This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
    > Windows ME on it so I can still work online.
    >
    > Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
    > problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    >
    > Sincere thanks,
    > Anu Skinner

    The RPC problem sounds like a virus infection. A Google search on "RPC
    reboot virus" finds several related articles, like
    http://snipurl.com/5ku2. Run a full scan using a recently updated
    anti-virus program. If you don't have one, try using AVG's freebie one
    (I don't know how often it gets updated but will probably cover this
    one) or you can run Symantec's online scan (probably requires an ActiveX
    download).

    What anti-virus program do you use that didn't catch this one?

    Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

    hi anu,

    I had aslo faced this problem and i solved this by uninstalling my Anti-virus (NORTON) and it just worked fine. Another way is to reinstall Windows XP again using the repair option.

    regards

    dharma

    Your computer is now infected with the W32.Blaster.Worm or
    one of its variants. This happened because you have not
    been using an internet connection firewall and have
    apparently neglected to install the critical updates
    available at the Windows Update website.
    -------
    If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
    or reboot, quickly go to:

    Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    This opens the Command Prompt window.

    Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

    This should halt the rebooting problem.
    -------
    Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:
    (To enable the built-in firewall, go to:
    Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet
    Connections, then click Network Connections. Right-click
    your connection, then
    Click Properties, and on the Advanced tab, click the option
    "Protect my computer and network..." Note: the built in
    firewall only monitors incoming traffic not outgoing (ie
    spyware, trojans, etc.. you may have on your system).)

    Special note if you use AOL:
    America Online installs its own connection settings that
    override
    the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
    connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows
    XP's
    built-in firewall.

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its
    Variants

    A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm
    infections from computers
    that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

    A security issue has been identified that could allow an
    attacker to
    remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows
    and
    gain complete control over it. You can help protect your
    computer
    by installing this update from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-
    3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

    Above courtesy of MVP Carey

    ***Install a good firewall. ZoneAlarm is a free one you
    can install.
    Install a good anti-virus program making sure you keep
    it's definitions up to date! ***
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm

    Protect Your PC

    W32.Blaster.Worm a.k.a. W32/Lovesan.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
    ..html

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
    ..removal.tool.html

    W32.Welchia.Worm a.k.a. W32/Nachi.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32
    ..welchia.worm.html

    W32.Welchia.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm
    ..removal.tool.html

    Congratulations, you have the blaster virus or one of its variants. See
    here for info:

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826955

    A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from
    computers that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833330

    Norton (Symantec) Website info:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

    "Anu Skinner" <sskinner@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
    > problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
    > message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
    > Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."
    >
    > This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
    > Netscape Navigator 7.1
    >
    > This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
    > Windows ME on it so I can still work online.
    >
    > Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
    > problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    >
    > Sincere thanks,
    > Anu Skinner

    I can't see how uninstalling an AntiVirus program could
    HELP when you have a worm on your computer. Reinstalling
    won't help either unless you install the patches...

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP