XP crashes when on-line

I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."

This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
Netscape Navigator 7.1

This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
Windows ME on it so I can still work online.

Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Sincere thanks,
Anu Skinner

"Anu Skinner" said in news:19d2701c41d1f$59fab210$a401280a@phx.gbl:
> I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
> problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
> message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
> Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."
>
> This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
> Netscape Navigator 7.1
>
> This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
> Windows ME on it so I can still work online.
>
> Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
> problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
>
> Sincere thanks,
> Anu Skinner

The RPC problem sounds like a virus infection. A Google search on "RPC
reboot virus" finds several related articles, like
http://snipurl.com/5ku2. Run a full scan using a recently updated
anti-virus program. If you don't have one, try using AVG's freebie one
(I don't know how often it gets updated but will probably cover this
one) or you can run Symantec's online scan (probably requires an ActiveX
download).

What anti-virus program do you use that didn't catch this one?

Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others. E-mail not accepted.

hi anu,

I had aslo faced this problem and i solved this by uninstalling my Anti-virus (NORTON) and it just worked fine. Another way is to reinstall Windows XP again using the repair option.

regards

dharma

Your computer is now infected with the W32.Blaster.Worm or
one of its variants. This happened because you have not
been using an internet connection firewall and have
apparently neglected to install the critical updates
available at the Windows Update website.
-------
If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
or reboot, quickly go to:

Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
This opens the Command Prompt window.

Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

This should halt the rebooting problem.
-------
Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:
(To enable the built-in firewall, go to:
Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet
Connections, then click Network Connections. Right-click
your connection, then
Click Properties, and on the Advanced tab, click the option
"Protect my computer and network..." Note: the built in
firewall only monitors incoming traffic not outgoing (ie
spyware, trojans, etc.. you may have on your system).)

Special note if you use AOL:
America Online installs its own connection settings that
override
the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows
XP's
built-in firewall.

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its
Variants

A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm
infections from computers
that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

A security issue has been identified that could allow an
attacker to
remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows
and
gain complete control over it. You can help protect your
computer
by installing this update from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-
3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

Above courtesy of MVP Carey

***Install a good firewall. ZoneAlarm is a free one you
can install.
Install a good anti-virus program making sure you keep
it's definitions up to date! ***
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm

Protect Your PC

W32.Blaster.Worm a.k.a. W32/Lovesan.Worm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
..html

W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
..removal.tool.html

W32.Welchia.Worm a.k.a. W32/Nachi.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32
..welchia.worm.html

W32.Welchia.Worm Removal Tool
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm
..removal.tool.html

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Congratulations, you have the blaster virus or one of its variants. See
here for info:

What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826955

A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from
computers that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833330

Norton (Symantec) Website info:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

"Anu Skinner" <sskinner@execpc.com> wrote in message
> I have just recently installed XP and have had a continuing
> problem when I've been on-line. I keep getting an error
> message that says, " Windows must restart because Remote
> Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly."
>
> This happens while using either MS Internet Explorer or
> Netscape Navigator 7.1
>
> This is most annoying. Fortunately, I have a partition with
> Windows ME on it so I can still work online.
>
> Has anyone seen (or, more importantly, solved) this
> problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
>
> Sincere thanks,
> Anu Skinner

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I can't see how uninstalling an AntiVirus program could
HELP when you have a worm on your computer. Reinstalling
won't help either unless you install the patches...

TRENDING THREADS