Recycle bin - how does it work?

I'm rather confused how the recycle bin works on my xp home. I have a
folder in each drive called *recycler*, but my trash doesn't end up in
there. What is this *recycler* then?

Dehlia
5 answers Last reply
More about recycle work

    The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When
    you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the
    Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full. Items
    deleted from a floppy disk or a network drive are permanently deleted and
    are not sent to the Recycle Bin.

    Items in the Recycle Bin remain there until you decide to permanently delete
    them from your computer. These items still take up hard disk space and can
    be undeleted or restored back to their original location. When it fills up,
    Windows automatically cleans out enough space in the Recycle Bin to
    accommodate the most recently deleted files and folders.

    Windows allocates one Recycle Bin for each partition or hard disk. If your
    hard disk is partitioned, or if you have more than one hard disk in your
    computer, you have a recycle bin for each hard disk.

    --
    Darren Hook
    dhook@online.microsoft.com

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup purposes only.

    <Dehlia> wrote in message news:dt9a70171q1mkvmle9ib18hqhascr33ust@4ax.com...
    > I'm rather confused how the recycle bin works on my xp home. I have a
    > folder in each drive called *recycler*, but my trash doesn't end up in
    > there. What is this *recycler* then?
    >
    > Dehlia

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:27:13 -0500, "Darren Hook [MSFT]"
    <dhook@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

    [snipped v. useful info]

    Thanks Darren. But could you tell me: on each of my partitions I have
    a folder which is called *Recycler*. What is this folder for (mine is
    now empty)? When deleting a file, this file doesn't end up in this
    *recycler* folder, it ends up in the Recycling Bin folder. I now
    begin to wonder whether this *RECYCLER* folder might 've been created
    not by the o.s. but by some other program - or is it after all part of
    XP (it's on each drive's root, the same as *Recycled* was in Win98)?

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:09:05 +0100, Dehlia wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:27:13 -0500, "Darren Hook [MSFT]"
    > <dhook@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > [snipped v. useful info]
    >
    > Thanks Darren. But could you tell me: on each of my partitions I have
    > a folder which is called *Recycler*. What is this folder for (mine is
    > now empty)? When deleting a file, this file doesn't end up in this
    > *recycler* folder, it ends up in the Recycling Bin folder. I now
    > begin to wonder whether this *RECYCLER* folder might 've been created
    > not by the o.s. but by some other program - or is it after all part of
    > XP (it's on each drive's root, the same as *Recycled* was in Win98)?

    When your drives are formatted NTFS, Windows Explorer shows the recycle bin
    folder as "Recycler." "Recycled" if using Fat32.

    Set Folder Options> View to show hidden files/folder and to show system
    protected files. Then when you peek into Recycler you'll see your unique ID
    number. The files that your account has deleted are tracked by that number.
    If there are other users on the system, you will see numbers for them as
    well.

    Use the Recycle Bin interface to manage the bin instead of the Recycler
    folder.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:41:33 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >When your drives are formatted NTFS, Windows Explorer shows the recycle bin
    >folder as "Recycler." "Recycled" if using Fat32.
    >
    >Set Folder Options> View to show hidden files/folder and to show system
    >protected files. Then when you peek into Recycler you'll see your unique ID
    >number. The files that your account has deleted are tracked by that number.
    >If there are other users on the system, you will see numbers for them as
    >well.
    >
    >Use the Recycle Bin interface to manage the bin instead of the Recycler
    >folder.

    Ah, at last I see the light! thank you. You're right, I have two ID
    numbers in Recycler (we are two users). Then would it be possible to
    look inside each of these ID folders to find out which files have been
    dumped by which user ? I've tried to peek into my ID by using *cmd*
    but I don't seem to be able to.

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:05:26 +0100, Dehlia wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:41:33 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>When your drives are formatted NTFS, Windows Explorer shows the recycle bin
    >>folder as "Recycler." "Recycled" if using Fat32.
    >>
    >>Set Folder Options> View to show hidden files/folder and to show system
    >>protected files. Then when you peek into Recycler you'll see your unique ID
    >>number. The files that your account has deleted are tracked by that number.
    >>If there are other users on the system, you will see numbers for them as
    >>well.
    >>
    >>Use the Recycle Bin interface to manage the bin instead of the Recycler
    >>folder.
    >
    > Ah, at last I see the light! thank you. You're right, I have two ID
    > numbers in Recycler (we are two users). Then would it be possible to
    > look inside each of these ID folders to find out which files have been
    > dumped by which user ? I've tried to peek into my ID by using *cmd*
    > but I don't seem to be able to.

    You're welcome! I'm sure there's someway to get into it but I've never
    bothered. Each item in a user's subsection will be guarded by whatever
    permissions apply to the deleted files or folders. So once you're in, you
    may still have to claim ownership to look over a list of ... well, garbage
    files. Instead, log on to their account (reset their password if you have
    to) and look in their bin. Much easier.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User