Windows 2000 upgrade to Windows XP

I purchased a laptop which had Windows 2000 Pro installed. I feel this is
using up unnecessary resources and want to move to Windows XP, ideally the
XP Home Version as I feel XP Pro would again be a drain on resources. All
documentation says that XP Home will only upgrade from Windows 98 etc.
Does anybody know if it is practical and possible to use the XP Home Upgrade
software to move from Win 2k

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

Win2000 will only upgrade to WinXP Pro. To use WinXP Home would require a
format and clean installation.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"cagpep" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a laptop which had Windows 2000 Pro installed. I feel this is
> using up unnecessary resources and want to move to Windows XP, ideally the
> XP Home Version as I feel XP Pro would again be a drain on resources. All
> documentation says that XP Home will only upgrade from Windows 98 etc.
> Does anybody know if it is practical and possible to use the XP Home
> Upgrade
> software to move from Win 2k
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

Gordon

In news:c540q6$rl5$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
cagpep <a@b.com> wrote:
|| I purchased a laptop which had Windows 2000 Pro installed. I feel
|| this is using up unnecessary resources

I would suggest that you should "know" instead of "feel" before doing this.
W2K is a perfectly respectful and useable OS. You will probably find that
installing more RAM would be a far cheaper and easier performance
enhancement than upgrading to XP.

and want to move to Windows
|| XP, ideally the XP Home Version as I feel XP Pro would again be a
|| drain on resources. All documentation says that XP Home will only
|| upgrade from Windows 98 etc. Does anybody know if it is practical
|| and possible to use the XP Home Upgrade software to move from Win 2k
|| Thanks
|| Martin

Thanks for your advice.

I was only considering this course of action following advice from someone
who appearred to have a little knowledge. I would say that the PC is not
used for any intensive applications and that Win 2k is probably more
security and robustness than I need.

"Gordon" <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In news:c540q6$rl5$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
> cagpep <a@b.com> wrote:
> || I purchased a laptop which had Windows 2000 Pro installed. I feel
> || this is using up unnecessary resources
>
> I would suggest that you should "know" instead of "feel" before doing
this.
> W2K is a perfectly respectful and useable OS. You will probably find that
> installing more RAM would be a far cheaper and easier performance
> enhancement than upgrading to XP.
>

> and want to move to Windows
> || XP, ideally the XP Home Version as I feel XP Pro would again be a
> || drain on resources. All documentation says that XP Home will only
> || upgrade from Windows 98 etc. Does anybody know if it is practical
> || and possible to use the XP Home Upgrade software to move from Win 2k
> || Thanks
> || Martin

Gordon

In news:c544cq$kde$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
cagpep <a@b.com> wrote:
|| Thanks for your advice.
|| I was only considering this course of action following advice from
|| someone who appearred to have a little knowledge. I would say that
|| the PC is not used for any intensive applications and that Win 2k is
|| probably more security and robustness than I need.

The only thing I would say is to make sure that you get all the security
updates and Service packs, but be a bit wary of SP4 - there have been some
reports of funny things happening after installation. SP 1, 2 and 3 seem to
be OK!

Thanks

Bad news is I have already downloaded Sevice Pack 4 - seems to have cure the
odd blue screen I was getting!

cagpep wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Bad news is I have already downloaded Sevice Pack 4 - seems to have
> cure the odd blue screen I was getting!

Don't worry about SP4, and don't bother changing to XP. If the laptop
originally shipped with Win 2k, leave it alone. You cannot be too secure and
the "robust" features of Win 2k are only enabled if you need them. XP
actually requires more resources and in most cases is slower than Win 2k on
identical hardware and configurations.
Get the latest security updates and you will not be that far off from XP.
If you are hell bent on upgrading to XP, get the Pro upgrade and do the
upgrade by inserting the XP upgrade CD while in Win 2k and select the
upgrade option. You should always prep for a clean install before doing any
major system upgrades.
Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
How to clean install XP.

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://michaelstevenstech.com