McAfee updates

I am new to McAfee, but it came with
a 15 month subscription on my mother's
new computer.

I cannot tell if it is getting updated
virus definitions. Are those in a DAT file?
"About..." indicates a DAT file with a date of
9/21/05, so I am good if that is the definition
file.

Norton's interface seems easier for now, perhaps
with time I will adapt...

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > I am new to McAfee, but it came with
    > a 15 month subscription on my mother's
    > new computer.
    >
    > I cannot tell if it is getting updated
    > virus definitions. Are those in a DAT file?
    > "About..." indicates a DAT file with a date of
    > 9/21/05, so I am good if that is the definition
    > file.
    >
    > Norton's interface seems easier for now, perhaps
    > with time I will adapt...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Yep that's the definition file. You can manualy ask it to update and it will
    tell if you have the latest files or not.

    HTH

    Bal

    >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    news> kpg8xxpxhki.fsf@panix1.panix.com...

    >> I am new to McAfee, but it came with
    >> a 15 month subscription on my mother's
    >> new computer.
    >>
    >> I cannot tell if it is getting updated
    >> virus definitions. Are those in a DAT file?
    >> "About..." indicates a DAT file with a date of
    9> 21/05, so I am good if that is the definition
    >> file.
    >>
    >> Norton's interface seems easier for now, perhaps
    >> with time I will adapt...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> --
    >> Andrew Hall
    >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Bal> Yep that's the definition file. You can manualy ask it to update and it will

    Thanks.

    Bal> tell if you have the latest files or not.

    When I update, it goes to a web browser page, prompts
    me to login to the McAfee site, and results in a blank
    screen. This is why I was so confused. With Norton,
    you can watch the update happening, and it displays the
    virus definition date prominently.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    this is a strange issue with mcafee...
    when you first activate the software they ask you to enter an email address
    and create a password. i have no idea how to find the email address should
    you have forgotten (perhaps they have some information on how to find that
    out on their web site). you don't need the email address and password to do
    automatic updates but you do need the email address and password to do
    manual updates (at least entered once and then the password saved). you
    also need the email address and password to log on to their website to check
    the status of your subscription - in other words to find out when your
    subscription expires. i find it quite confusing relative to symantec's
    approach which just activates the pc and keep all the related information on
    the machine however reinstallation with mcafee is much simpler as it is tied
    to the email address... with symantec you have to call to get the same
    software reinstalled on the same computer if reloading a crashed disk...
    and the mcafee engine is much more efficient than symantecs and unlike
    symentec's software it actually catches virus' ;)

    > >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
    > news> kpg8xxpxhki.fsf@panix1.panix.com...
    > >>
    > >> I am new to McAfee, but it came with
    > >> a 15 month subscription on my mother's
    > >> new computer.
    > >>
    > >> I cannot tell if it is getting updated
    > >> virus definitions. Are those in a DAT file?
    > >> "About..." indicates a DAT file with a date of
    > 9> 21/05, so I am good if that is the definition
    > >> file.
    > >>
    > >> Norton's interface seems easier for now, perhaps
    > >> with time I will adapt...
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Andrew Hall
    > >> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
    >
    > Bal> Yep that's the definition file. You can manualy ask it to update
    > and it will
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bal> tell if you have the latest files or not.
    >
    > When I update, it goes to a web browser page, prompts
    > me to login to the McAfee site, and results in a blank
    > screen. This is why I was so confused. With Norton,
    > you can watch the update happening, and it displays the
    > virus definition date prominently.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Christopher> this is a strange issue with mcafee...
    Christopher> when you first activate the software they ask you to enter an email address
    Christopher> and create a password. i have no idea how to find the email address should
    Christopher> you have forgotten (perhaps they have some information on how to find that
    Christopher> out on their web site). you don't need the email address and password to do
    Christopher> automatic updates but you do need the email address and password to do
    Christopher> manual updates (at least entered once and then the password saved). you

    I did that, with my own email address, and can get into
    their website with it. But when I do a manual update, I
    get no confirmation on the web page it brings up. After the
    sign in, it is just a blank page.

    Christopher> also need the email address and password to log on to their website to check
    Christopher> the status of your subscription - in other words to find out when your
    Christopher> subscription expires. i find it quite confusing relative to symantec's
    Christopher> approach which just activates the pc and keep all the related information on
    Christopher> the machine however reinstallation with mcafee is much simpler as it is tied
    Christopher> to the email address... with symantec you have to call to get the same
    Christopher> software reinstalled on the same computer if reloading a crashed disk...
    Christopher> and the mcafee engine is much more efficient than symantecs and unlike
    Christopher> symentec's software it actually catches virus' ;)

    Well that is good to hear.

    Do they tend to update their virus definition files daily?
    IOW, will I know tomorrow if the automatic update worked?

    ah

    --

    > Christopher> this is a strange issue with mcafee...
    > Christopher> when you first activate the software they ask you to enter
    > an email address
    > Christopher> and create a password. i have no idea how to find the
    > email address should
    > Christopher> you have forgotten (perhaps they have some information on
    > how to find that
    > Christopher> out on their web site). you don't need the email address
    > and password to do
    > Christopher> automatic updates but you do need the email address and
    > password to do
    > Christopher> manual updates (at least entered once and then the password
    > saved). you
    >
    > I did that, with my own email address, and can get into
    > their website with it. But when I do a manual update, I
    > get no confirmation on the web page it brings up. After the
    > sign in, it is just a blank page.
    >
    > Christopher> also need the email address and password to log on to their
    > website to check
    > Christopher> the status of your subscription - in other words to find
    > out when your
    > Christopher> subscription expires. i find it quite confusing relative
    > to symantec's
    > Christopher> approach which just activates the pc and keep all the
    > related information on
    > Christopher> the machine however reinstallation with mcafee is much
    > simpler as it is tied
    > Christopher> to the email address... with symantec you have to call to
    > get the same
    > Christopher> software reinstalled on the same computer if reloading a
    > crashed disk...
    > Christopher> and the mcafee engine is much more efficient than symantecs
    > and unlike
    > Christopher> symentec's software it actually catches virus' ;)
    >
    > Well that is good to hear.
    >
    > Do they tend to update their virus definition files daily?
    > IOW, will I know tomorrow if the automatic update worked?

    If you right click on the red "M" in your system tray and select "Updates"
    it will automatically check to see if you're up to date. If you're not,
    then it goes to the web page. If you have Windows XP you have to enable
    popups to do a manual update or you won't get very far.

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:12:13 -0400, ahall wrote:

    > I am new to McAfee, but it came with
    > a 15 month subscription on my mother's new computer.
    >
    > I cannot tell if it is getting updated virus definitions. Are those in
    > a DAT file? "About..." indicates a DAT file with a date of 9/21/05, so I
    > am good if that is the definition file.
    >
    > Norton's interface seems easier for now, perhaps with time I will
    > adapt...
    >
    > Thanks,

    I removed McAfee from my new laptop. I found Norton to be easier to use.
    Plus, McAfee tends to prevent so-called "potentially undesireable
    programs" from working even though they are legitimate programs (i.e.
    nmap).

    DG> If you right click on the red "M" in your system tray and select "Updates"
    DG> it will automatically check to see if you're up to date. If you're not,
    DG> then it goes to the web page. If you have Windows XP you have to enable
    DG> popups to do a manual update or you won't get very far.

    Ahh, that is probably it. The first thing I did on
    her box was to install firefox. I will enable popups
    from www.mcafee.com.

    The auto update is working, so this is probably not a
    real issue.

    Thanks again,

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    i am not certain, but i think mcafee requires internet explorer (like
    windows update does). it installs an active-x control upon first use. it
    also does make use of a pop up windows when you do a manual update... keep
    ie on the computer for windows update (and possibly mcafee) but use firefox
    for generic internet activity.

    > DG> If you right click on the red "M" in your system tray and select
    > "Updates"
    > DG> it will automatically check to see if you're up to date. If you're
    > not,
    > DG> then it goes to the web page. If you have Windows XP you have to
    > enable
    > DG> popups to do a manual update or you won't get very far.
    >

    > Ahh, that is probably it. The first thing I did on
    > her box was to install firefox. I will enable popups
    > from www.mcafee.com.
    >
    > The auto update is working, so this is probably not a
    > real issue.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    i am not certain, but i think mcafee requires internet explorer (like
    windows update does). it installs an active-x control upon first use. it
    also does make use of a pop up windows when you do a manual update... keep
    ie on the computer for windows update (and possibly mcafee) but use firefox
    for generic internet activity.

    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > DG> If you right click on the red "M" in your system tray and select
    > "Updates"
    > DG> it will automatically check to see if you're up to date. If you're
    > not,
    > DG> then it goes to the web page. If you have Windows XP you have to
    > enable
    > DG> popups to do a manual update or you won't get very far.
    >

    > Ahh, that is probably it. The first thing I did on
    > her box was to install firefox. I will enable popups
    > from www.mcafee.com.
    >
    > The auto update is working, so this is probably not a
    > real issue.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall
    > (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Dell McAfee Computers