windows XP vs windows 98

can I transfer the hard drive from my windows 98 machine
to my XP home machine as a second drive or do I have to
transfer the files from my 98 machine to my new XP machine

Billh

"Dentis" <shawki@comcast.net> wrote in message
> can I transfer the hard drive from my windows 98 machine
> to my XP home machine as a second drive or do I have to
> transfer the files from my 98 machine to my new XP machine

You can plug the drive in as a second drive and either move the files to the
new drive or just leave them on the old drive. I personally like to keep all
my data files (the ones I create myself) on a different physical or logical
drive. That way I can lose the C drive for any reason and still have the
stuff you can't get anywhere else. Yes, I do back things up as well.

Billh

Dentis wrote:
> can I transfer the hard drive from my windows 98 machine
> to my XP home machine as a second drive or do I have to
> transfer the files from my 98 machine to my new XP machine

Yes, if you set the hard drive jumpers as primary slave, secondary master or
secondary slave. You can retreive your important data but you would need
third party software if you wanted to boot to the 98 partition.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com