Top 5 most graphically intensive games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi everyone.

I'd like to check which are the top 5 most graphically intensive games out in the market right now? The reason I'm asking is that I'm building a gaming system and I want to stress test it to the max.

Oblivion obviously comes to mind, but what else?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
erm i get the feeling this has already been asked before....

but here goes

FEAR
BF2
Oblivion
Quake 4
COD 2

btw they arnt in any order.

p.s

King those are great games, top 5 of the best games ever made maby. :D

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I know it is old, but Far Cry is a good test.

Get the latest patches and turn everything up and see what your system does.

And I agree F.E.A.R. is great test if you turn everything up.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, in order, I'd rank them roughly like this:
  • [*:4c5ca5ca1a]The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Make no mistake, this is the game to blow all the others away. The only game out there that, so far, had to actually be watered down from its true maximum to work on the Xbox 360.
    [*:4c5ca5ca1a]F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon - 2005's original hardware killer. Can bring most machines to a halt, particularly with that creative, yet lousy, attempt at "soft shadows." First real game to place a massive shader load compared to the texture load.
    [*:4c5ca5ca1a]Call of Duty 2 - Game looks amazing, and also incredibly intensive. Unlike F.E.A.R. and Oblivion, has more of a texture load, like older games.
    [*:4c5ca5ca1a]Quake IV - Clearly, another intensive game. VERY texture-heavy.
    [*:4c5ca5ca1a]Tom Clancey's Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory - Much weaker than the others, yes, but one of THREE games out there that use parallax mapping by default, the other two being F.E.A.R. and Oblivion. Loads of shaders at work here, to throw against any graphics card. (I'm considering a few other games that may actually deserve this spot instead, so I'm not 100% certain on #5 here)I INTENTIONALLY left off Battlefield 2. Why? It's not graphics-intensive. It's simply crappily coded. I mean, for all the brouhaha, take a look: one quickly can notice lots of graphical parallels with The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's laughable. Sure, it adds on SOME shaders, and has SpeedTree, but it's hardly innovative in graphics, or even intensive; Half-Life2 easily beats it there, and that's a game famous for being easy on the graphics card! So for gameplay, it may rock, (it IS fun, presuming you're not the target of your team's own artillery strike) but it gets poor marks for graphical technology.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Stress is one thing, but if you want to check your system out for EYE CANDY, then here is my slate:

Half Life 2 - This game was the original reason I bought a new system. Crank it up, see what your system will do with it. Plus, who can resist fragging someone online with the gravity gun?

Far Cry - Not the newest game under the sun, but man oh man what a nice one. Lighting and distance are the major cool factors here. Get up to a good vantage point and look at the world around you: if your video card had a proverbial jaw, it would hit the proverbial floor.

FEAR - Creepy, very friggin' creepy. Get a high end system, and you'll crap your pants when those lights start to flicker in the game... well, at least I did. :p The ambiant visual effects should be some nice eye candy to slice thru.

Serious Sam 2 - Fun factor is high, and if your screen res is too, then this would make for some serious eye candy.

Elder Scrolls IV - This is the reason I have an ATI X1900XTX showing up at my doorstep tomorrow. My GOD this game will push a system. Good for both eye candy AND stress test.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Half Life 2 isnt graphic intensive it was built to be playable on a geforce 4. i had that game on medium-high settings at 1024*768 on a 5200fx and it ran fine... its an excellent game but its not graphic intensive...lol

saiphen

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
5. Pong

4. Missle Command

3. Tempest

2. Pac-Man/Ms.Pac-Man (tie)

1. Pitfall.

I miss Pittfall - and you forgot Space Invaders... :D

asteroids>all

1. Half-Life 2
2. Fear
3. BF2
4. Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
5.COD2

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I got it running on an MX440 w/64mb memory at Ultra High, 16AF, 8xAA and I get at least 90FPS. And my 128mb of RAM easily handles the level loads in under 10 seconds.

haysdaddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Yeah and you all are full of crap too. I had oblivion running on a 4200ti 64 mb and I had to mod the hell out of it just to get it to run on lowest settings. But thankfully my wife loves me and let me get a new system this year (finally). I understand the sarcasm but there's a thin line between being believable and utter stupidity.

Hunter_

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

You do realize this thread is almost 5 years old, right? Who exactly are you talking to?

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

+1. I saw it and started reading the thread. Saw all hte older games and had to look at the date they were posted. Man I was confused there for a sec.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

While this thread is headed for locking (hmmm, I wonder why?), I too did a massive double take. No Metro 2033? Or better yet (read: those who don't realize Metro is more demanding), CRYSIS?

Then after like the 3rd post where people agreed with FEAR and Oblivion, I looked at the post dates and I was like "Ohhhhhh"

For a while, I thought it was just a massive troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.