virtual memory and external hdd

I have been told that you cannot set up a pagefile.sys file on a external
usb or firewire hdd. and tests to maxtor or western digital 120 gb hdd usb
2 units prove that. however a iomega 120gb usb2 /firewire hdd will set up a
page file. the only difference is that disk management shows the iomega a
healthy[active] while the others are shown as healthy. the drives are
installed by win xp pro and no manuf. software used.
q1..what is the active drive mean?
q2..if you right click a hdd an option is to make the drive active. what
are the pro/con's of active drive. second, if make active can you revert to
unactive status?

---
More about virtual memory external

    External hard drives are designed for data storage and backups.
    They should not be used for program installations or page files.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "oldcrusty" <oldcrusty@cox.net> wrote in message:

    |I have been told that you cannot set up a pagefile.sys file on a external
    | usb or firewire hdd. and tests to maxtor or western digital 120 gb hdd usb
    | 2 units prove that. however a iomega 120gb usb2 /firewire hdd will set up a
    | page file. the only difference is that disk management shows the iomega a
    | healthy[active] while the others are shown as healthy. the drives are
    | installed by win xp pro and no manuf. software used.
    | q1..what is the active drive mean?
    | q2..if you right click a hdd an option is to make the drive active. what
    | are the pro/con's of active drive. second, if make active can you revert to
    | unactive status?
    |

    | ---

Virtual Memory Hard Drives External Hard Drive Windows XP