Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion and Crossfire

Last response: in Video Games
April 10, 2006 1:34:52 PM

Hi guys.

A total newbie here who needs help badly. Two questions I was hoping for help on

(1) What Catalyst settings do you recommend for Oblivion on the specs below to get the best image quality available while remaining playable?

I would really appreciate specific settings for the various bits under Catalyst (ie not only AA) assuming ingame settings are max.

* Athlon 64 X2 4800+
* 1900XTs x 2 in Crossfire
* 1 GB RAM (2 x 512Mb - to be replaced with 2 x 1GB this weekend - not sure if makes much difference for Oblivion)
* Seagate 7,200 RPM (to be replaced as Oblivion hard disk by 150G Raptor - again, not sure about difference for Oblivion)
* Running Dell 2405FPW at 1900 x 1200.

(2) Game was running very smoothly - then I installed Chuck patch to enable crossfire + AA & HDR at the same time. Now even AA x 6 is bringing my system to its knees (don't know FPS but it's crap). How can I check Crossfire is actually running?

Many thanks in advance. (PS I have asked this in a forum on another site as well in case you think you have seen it before)

More about : oblivion crossfire

April 16, 2006 2:11:51 AM

Quote:
i don't actually have the game but its probably best to wait till the new drivers come out. that patch is just a stopgap till the main thing. maybe try forcing the AA and AF settings through the CCC. check the catalyst A.I settings as well. tbh even at that res a system like that should be fine.

blame the makers for shafting ATI users so as to keep nvidia happy.

trust me nvieda users are not happy heck word is the the official forum the game runs better on ATI.
A lot of Nvidea users have stuttering issues.
Seems to happen more with SLI and the 7900GT too.
Only thing that helps right now is textures on medium lower RES and no grass
WTF a 2500$ gaming rig and people cant play maxed out?
April 21, 2006 2:09:56 PM

Quote:
Hi guys.

A total newbie here who needs help badly. Two questions I was hoping for help on

(1) What Catalyst settings do you recommend for Oblivion on the specs below to get the best image quality available while remaining playable?

I would really appreciate specific settings for the various bits under Catalyst (ie not only AA) assuming ingame settings are max.

* Athlon 64 X2 4800+
* 1900XTs x 2 in Crossfire
* 1 GB RAM (2 x 512Mb - to be replaced with 2 x 1GB this weekend - not sure if makes much difference for Oblivion)
* Seagate 7,200 RPM (to be replaced as Oblivion hard disk by 150G Raptor - again, not sure about difference for Oblivion)
* Running Dell 2405FPW at 1900 x 1200.

(2) Game was running very smoothly - then I installed Chuck patch to enable crossfire + AA & HDR at the same time. Now even AA x 6 is bringing my system to its knees (don't know FPS but it's crap). How can I check Crossfire is actually running?

Many thanks in advance. (PS I have asked this in a forum on another site as well in case you think you have seen it before)

This is indeed puzzling; those were about to be the VERY settings I was going to recommend for your sort of setup. Really, hardware-wise, you can't get much at all better than what you have.

Clearly, there's something wrong. A pair of X1900XTs, in CrossFire, even in "Scisors" mode, (I think Oblivion defaults to "SuperTiling," doesn't it?) should have no problem at that resolution, even with x6 AA.

I'm reminded of some problems I've encountered in Catalyst (5.x versions, though) with conflicting AA settings in-game and in the control centre/panel. I'd make sure to fiddle with these to find the source of the problem. Perhaps, once you find the source, see what you can do to have AA without the problem. I might guess something like editing the
Oblivion.INI file (look for the line, "multisample type=0") to change it to enable AA right in there, as well as in the CCC, and see what that does. (of course, after ANY graphical settings changes in the INI file, do NOT enter the graphics settings in-game, else you wind up dumping all your changes)

Quote:
blame the makers for shafting ATI users so as to keep nvidia happy.

That's an incendiary statement if there ever was one. Far from the truth as well; if Bethesda was intent on making the game a "TWIMTBP" title, aside from having the logo, they might've actually strived to make framerates on high-end GeForce 6 cards be BETTER than those of mid-range Radeon X cards. Likewise, it's been noted that a GeForce 5900 ultra, in Oblivion, is a good competitor to the Radeon 9600pro.
!