Oblivion questions

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I have a few questions... so I'll lump them all into one post.

1. I've noticed there is a bit of a delay between the time I click the left mouse button, and when my weapon is actually swung. Is this by design? The game doesn't lag or anything, so it's not a delay due to lag.

2. I have a basic logitech optical mouse, but I find myself running off the mouse pad a lot. The problem is that I'm not used to using a mouse for game play (I typically use the PC Xbox 360 controller, but it doesn't work for crap with oblivion). If I turn the sensitivity up in the game, then as soon as I encounter a battle, I find that I'm jerking all over the screen cuz I'm moving the mouse around too much during battles. Is this the type of problem a gaming mouse will solve? I don't know much about what exactly a gaming mouse is.

Thanks.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
first question is design, just like real life it take you awhile to swing a sword :D .

and the mouse thing is just you.. i personnaly dont understand these ppl who need big mouse pads, mainly cause i dont move my mouse more than a centimetre or two to do anything i play UT2004 without really moving my mouse.

nate66

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
i kno this thread been inactive for a few days, but i hear you can catch dieases in Oblivion, is it possible to get genital warts???

jkburk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I'm going to tack another question on. . . in the PC version, does anyone have a problem with shadows on horses, or rats even, looking like topographical contour lines?

jkburk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
AH! My nemesis!

Hope you don't feel that I was giving you grief for the sake of it.

I suppose that, as far as that particular topic goes, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for the advice.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I have a few questions... so I'll lump them all into one post.

1. I've noticed there is a bit of a delay between the time I click the left mouse button, and when my weapon is actually swung. Is this by design? The game doesn't lag or anything, so it's not a delay due to lag.

2. I have a basic logitech optical mouse, but I find myself running off the mouse pad a lot. The problem is that I'm not used to using a mouse for game play (I typically use the PC Xbox 360 controller, but it doesn't work for crap with oblivion). If I turn the sensitivity up in the game, then as soon as I encounter a battle, I find that I'm jerking all over the screen cuz I'm moving the mouse around too much during battles. Is this the type of problem a gaming mouse will solve? I don't know much about what exactly a gaming mouse is.
The answer to your first question is that it is indeed by design; unlike pulling a trigger, it takes a lot more time to swing a sword, particularly, as you might notice if you're in third-person, you have to pull back first.

As for your second question, a gaming mousse would do nothing for you here; they are merely more precise. Sensitivity is another matter; you're just gettign used to using a mouse, so likely, a bigger pad is likely what would help you best. (though in actuality, some so-called "gaming mice" are good enough that you can ditch the pad altogether, though I've found some surfaces are too shiny, and cause the mouse cursor/direction to fritz. My own desk is one such surface)

I'm going to tack another question on. . . in the PC version, does anyone have a problem with shadows on horses, or rats even, looking like topographical contour lines?
That's due to a flaw with the "shadow filtering" in the game. I must say I'm dissapointed in it, as the shadows are indeed, as it turns out, not fil;tered at all. That merely makes them "gradient" out toward the edge, but still, it becomes clear that the shadows are actually simply textures, that are generated each frame to match the NPC/creature casting them. If you look closer at them, you'll see how it's laid out. (use the "`" key to bring up the console, then type "FOV 15" or something like that, to narrow your field of vision to 15 degrees. It will return to the default 75 whenever you next go into third-person, or speak to an NPC; likewise, you can type in "FOV 75" to revert it on your own) Were the textures actually filtered, you'd see it gradient between each "texel," (sort of "texture pixel," the basic block of textures) just like the texturing on any other object in-game.

Unlike what Snorkius might suggest, I'd say that to get a sure-fire way to eliminate this appearance, DISABLE the "shadow filtering" option. Sure, it will revert your shadows to hard lines, but it will eliminate that "countour" appearance.