Oblivion questions

I have a few questions... so I'll lump them all into one post.

1. I've noticed there is a bit of a delay between the time I click the left mouse button, and when my weapon is actually swung. Is this by design? The game doesn't lag or anything, so it's not a delay due to lag.

2. I have a basic logitech optical mouse, but I find myself running off the mouse pad a lot. The problem is that I'm not used to using a mouse for game play (I typically use the PC Xbox 360 controller, but it doesn't work for crap with oblivion). If I turn the sensitivity up in the game, then as soon as I encounter a battle, I find that I'm jerking all over the screen cuz I'm moving the mouse around too much during battles. Is this the type of problem a gaming mouse will solve? I don't know much about what exactly a gaming mouse is.


Thanks.
14 answers Last reply
More about oblivion questions
  1. there wouldnt be much of a differnce using a so called gaming mouse but how bout you just stop moving your mouse so much...
  2. I figured it was just more of a "getting used to it" thing.

    But thanks for the smart ass remark :D
  3. sorry if I sounded so mean and it is prolly a getting used to thing. going from controller to mouse is hard
  4. nah, you didn't sound mean.

    I laughed at it.
  5. first question is design, just like real life it take you awhile to swing a sword :D .

    and the mouse thing is just you.. i personnaly dont understand these ppl who need big mouse pads, mainly cause i dont move my mouse more than a centimetre or two to do anything i play UT2004 without really moving my mouse.
  6. Just be sure you've taken your meds before you play :D.
    Sigh... Oblivion.......
  7. i kno this thread been inactive for a few days, but i hear you can catch dieases in Oblivion, is it possible to get genital warts???
  8. Come on, there's no need to be recreating your misery in games. :lol:
  9. ziiiiing
  10. Quote:

    2. I have a basic logitech optical mouse, but I find myself running off the mouse pad a lot.


    Honestly, I've just gotten used to the size of my pad, but I do feel kind of restricted by typical mousepads. That's why I'm buying this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817114306

    Highly, highly rated, and seems to have a much better width than what I'm using now. Could help you out a lot.
  11. I'm going to tack another question on. . . in the PC version, does anyone have a problem with shadows on horses, or rats even, looking like topographical contour lines?
  12. Try setting shadow filtering to on or high(er)...
  13. AH! My nemesis!

    Hope you don't feel that I was giving you grief for the sake of it.

    I suppose that, as far as that particular topic goes, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    Thanks for the advice.
  14. Quote:
    I have a few questions... so I'll lump them all into one post.

    1. I've noticed there is a bit of a delay between the time I click the left mouse button, and when my weapon is actually swung. Is this by design? The game doesn't lag or anything, so it's not a delay due to lag.

    2. I have a basic logitech optical mouse, but I find myself running off the mouse pad a lot. The problem is that I'm not used to using a mouse for game play (I typically use the PC Xbox 360 controller, but it doesn't work for crap with oblivion). If I turn the sensitivity up in the game, then as soon as I encounter a battle, I find that I'm jerking all over the screen cuz I'm moving the mouse around too much during battles. Is this the type of problem a gaming mouse will solve? I don't know much about what exactly a gaming mouse is.

    The answer to your first question is that it is indeed by design; unlike pulling a trigger, it takes a lot more time to swing a sword, particularly, as you might notice if you're in third-person, you have to pull back first.

    As for your second question, a gaming mousse would do nothing for you here; they are merely more precise. Sensitivity is another matter; you're just gettign used to using a mouse, so likely, a bigger pad is likely what would help you best. (though in actuality, some so-called "gaming mice" are good enough that you can ditch the pad altogether, though I've found some surfaces are too shiny, and cause the mouse cursor/direction to fritz. My own desk is one such surface)

    Quote:
    I'm going to tack another question on. . . in the PC version, does anyone have a problem with shadows on horses, or rats even, looking like topographical contour lines?

    That's due to a flaw with the "shadow filtering" in the game. I must say I'm dissapointed in it, as the shadows are indeed, as it turns out, not fil;tered at all. That merely makes them "gradient" out toward the edge, but still, it becomes clear that the shadows are actually simply textures, that are generated each frame to match the NPC/creature casting them. If you look closer at them, you'll see how it's laid out. (use the "`" key to bring up the console, then type "FOV 15" or something like that, to narrow your field of vision to 15 degrees. It will return to the default 75 whenever you next go into third-person, or speak to an NPC; likewise, you can type in "FOV 75" to revert it on your own) Were the textures actually filtered, you'd see it gradient between each "texel," (sort of "texture pixel," the basic block of textures) just like the texturing on any other object in-game.

    Unlike what Snorkius might suggest, I'd say that to get a sure-fire way to eliminate this appearance, DISABLE the "shadow filtering" option. Sure, it will revert your shadows to hard lines, but it will eliminate that "countour" appearance.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Mice Games Oblivion Video Games Product