Uninstall Windows 2000

I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
2000 without going back through the XP installation?
Thanks in advance for any help.
..
8 answers Last reply
More about uninstall windows 2000

    Hi,

    You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have removed
    Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows Explorer.
    Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
    [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be done.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
    > 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
    > a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
    > 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > .

    Rick,

    I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

    Thanks
    Dave

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have removed
    > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows Explorer.
    > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
    > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be done.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
    > > 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
    > > a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
    > > 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
    > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > > .

    Hi,

    The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
    depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
    setup would be necessary to be more exact.

    --

    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Rick,
    >
    > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
    with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

    > Thanks
    > Dave
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
    removed
    > > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
    Explorer.
    > > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
    > > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
    done.

    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
    > > > 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
    > > > a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
    > > > 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
    > > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > > > .

    Hi,

    I have 5 folders at the root of C:

    Documents and settings
    Windows
    Winnt
    Program Files
    WU Temp

    Dave

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
    > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
    > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Rick,
    > >
    > > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
    > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
    > removed
    > > > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
    > Explorer.
    > > > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
    > > > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
    > done.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Best of Luck,
    > > >
    > > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    > > >
    > > > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Rick,

    I have 5 folders at the root of C

    Docs and settings
    Windows
    Winnt
    Program files
    wu temp

    Dave

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
    > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
    > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Rick,
    > >
    > > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
    > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
    > removed
    > > > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
    > Explorer.
    > > > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
    > > > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
    > done.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Best of Luck,
    > > >
    > > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    > > >
    > > > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi Dave,

    So the Win2000 installation is likely either \Winnt or \Windows - when you
    installed WinXP, do you remember which folder it defaulted to? Both of those
    can be targets. Another quickie way to get a clue, start/run cmd, then from
    the prompt run PATH. That should tell you which folder is housing the
    current environment.

    --

    > Rick,
    >
    > I have 5 folders at the root of C
    >
    > Docs and settings
    > Windows
    > Winnt
    > Program files
    > wu temp
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or
    C:\Windows
    > > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on
    your
    > > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Rick,
    > > >
    > > > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came
    up
    > > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Dave

    > > removed
    > > Explorer.
    > > done.

    From the Path:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>path
    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > So the Win2000 installation is likely either \Winnt or \Windows - when you
    > installed WinXP, do you remember which folder it defaulted to? Both of those
    > can be targets. Another quickie way to get a clue, start/run cmd, then from
    > the prompt run PATH. That should tell you which folder is housing the
    > current environment.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Rick,
    > >
    > > I have 5 folders at the root of C
    > >
    > > Docs and settings
    > > Windows
    > > Winnt
    > > Program files
    > > wu temp
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or
    > C:\Windows
    > > > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on
    > your
    > > > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Best of Luck,
    > > >
    > > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > > >
    > > > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > up
    > > > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

    > > > removed
    > > > Explorer.
    > the
    > > > done.

    > message

    Then XP has installed to the C:\Windows directory. Your old Windows 2000
    install was installed to C:\Winnt.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > From the Path:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>path
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Dave,
    >>
    >> So the Win2000 installation is likely either \Winnt or \Windows - when
    >> you
    >> installed WinXP, do you remember which folder it defaulted to? Both of
    >> those
    >> can be targets. Another quickie way to get a clue, start/run cmd, then
    >> from
    >> the prompt run PATH. That should tell you which folder is housing the
    >> current environment.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/