Uninstall Windows 2000

April 9, 2004 12:40:11 PM

I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
2000 without going back through the XP installation?
Thanks in advance for any help.
..

More about : uninstall windows 2000

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 1:55:45 AM

Hi,

You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have removed
Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows Explorer.
Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
[operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be done.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
> 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
> a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
> 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> .

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:47:01 AM

Rick,

I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

Thanks
Dave

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have removed
> Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows Explorer.
> Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
> [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be done.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
> > 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
> > a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
> > 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > .

July 3, 2004 11:01:21 AM

Hi,

The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
setup would be necessary to be more exact.

--

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EFA1EDD-55B4-47D1-B41C-468F33609C0B@microsoft.com...
> Rick,
>
> I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

> Thanks
> Dave
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
removed
> > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
Explorer.
> > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
> > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
done.

> > --
> > Best of Luck,
> >
> > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I recently installed Win XP Pro on a system with Windows
> > > 2000. I upgraded rather than a new install so I now have
> > > a dual boot with both XP and 2000. How can I get rid of
> > > 2000 without going back through the XP installation?
> > > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > > .

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 11:01:22 AM

Hi,

I have 5 folders at the root of C:

Documents and settings
Windows
Winnt
Program Files
WU Temp

Dave

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
> depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
> setup would be necessary to be more exact.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D EFA1EDD-55B4-47D1-B41C-468F33609C0B@microsoft.com...
> > Rick,
> >
> > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
> with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
> removed
> > > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
> Explorer.
> > > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
> > > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
> done.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
> > >
> > > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 11:01:22 AM

Rick,

I have 5 folders at the root of C

Docs and settings
Windows
Winnt
Program files
wu temp

Dave

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or C:\Windows
> depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on your
> setup would be necessary to be more exact.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D EFA1EDD-55B4-47D1-B41C-468F33609C0B@microsoft.com...
> > Rick,
> >
> > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came up
> with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You didn't upgrade, you created a new install. An upgrade would have
> removed
> > > Win2000. Boot WinXP, delete the Win2000 system folders in Windows
> Explorer.
> > > Then start/run C:\boot.ini and remove the line that references it in the
> > > [operating systems] section. Close saving changes and you should be
> done.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
> > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
> > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
> > >
> > > "F. C. Battey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:28:49 PM

Hi Dave,

So the Win2000 installation is likely either \Winnt or \Windows - when you
installed WinXP, do you remember which folder it defaulted to? Both of those
can be targets. Another quickie way to get a clue, start/run cmd, then from
the prompt run PATH. That should tell you which folder is housing the
current environment.

--

> Rick,
>
> I have 5 folders at the root of C
>
> Docs and settings
> Windows
> Winnt
> Program files
> wu temp
>
> Dave
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or
C:\Windows
> > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on
your
> > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D EFA1EDD-55B4-47D1-B41C-468F33609C0B@microsoft.com...
> > > Rick,
> > >
> > > I did the same thing and I went to look for win2000 folders and came
up
> > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Dave

> > removed
> > Explorer.
> > done.

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:28:50 PM

From the Path:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> So the Win2000 installation is likely either \Winnt or \Windows - when you
> installed WinXP, do you remember which folder it defaulted to? Both of those
> can be targets. Another quickie way to get a clue, start/run cmd, then from
> the prompt run PATH. That should tell you which folder is housing the
> current environment.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick,
> >
> > I have 5 folders at the root of C
> >
> > Docs and settings
> > Windows
> > Winnt
> > Program files
> > wu temp
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The Win2000 system folders are likely something like C:\Winnt or
> C:\Windows
> > > depending on how and where it was originally installed. More details on
> your
> > > setup would be necessary to be more exact.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > >
> > > "Atticus" <Atticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:D EFA1EDD-55B4-47D1-B41C-468F33609C0B@microsoft.com...

> up
> > > with nothing. Can you be more specific about what to remove.

> > > removed
> > > Explorer.
> the
> > > done.

> message

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:46:39 PM

Then XP has installed to the C:\Windows directory. Your old Windows 2000
install was installed to C:\Winnt.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp