Activation Window says ACTIVE but system still counting down

Jan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The company I work for purchased 100 plus computers from Gateway. They did NOT install Windows XP Professional on any of the computers, they installed Windows NT and then last year upgraded to Windows 2000. All these Windows XP Professional CDs were available to anyone. I brought one home and installed it a couple weeks ago.

During the installation, it asked me for the code on the hologram sticker that is on my work computer. When the installation was complete, I don’t know how I did it but I discovered I still had Windows 98 installed. When the system booted up I didn’t have the choice of XP or 98, it went to XP. I NEVER received any message that I needed to activate my version. I did discover the files I had on Windows 98 when I did a file search. My son told me I should re-install to free up hard drive space and with help I found on the Microsoft site was able to complete the installation and only have one operating system. This time during installation it didn’t ask me for the 25 digit/number code and now every day when I turn the computer on it tells me I need to activate Windows XP. When I click on the icon I get the message that it has already been activated. I now am getting the message that it will expire in 27 days.

I called Gateway and explained my problem to them but they said that since the computer wasn’t a Gateway they couldn’t help and told me to call Microsoft.

The first number I called I got someone that I believe wasn’t in the States because his English was VERY BAD and I had to keep spelling everything. He told me I needed to call an activation number. It was an automated service but when I hit the zero button on the phone I got a real live person who spoke English with no foreign accent. I explained my problem to him, told him I had the OEM number and activation digit/number from the hologram but he said I’d need assistance from Customer Support and that there should be no problem.

I was transferred to Customer Support only to be connected to another person with a foreign accent who had trouble understanding my English. I gave her my OEM number and the activation code and after putting me on hold for several times finally said I’d either have to check on the website for assistance or get help for $35. I had already checked the website and found that I could get 2 incidents and unlimited installation support at no charge and explained this to her but she kept insisting that I’d have to have the paid support option or use Microsoft’s Knowledge Base. She couldn’t explain to me why the website said I could get 2 incidents and unlimited installation support at no charge.

I tried calling the activation number again today and this time was transferred to Technical Support and unfortunately it was another person with a foreign accent. It seems that Microsoft is routing their calls overseas where labor is cheaper. This rep told me since my software has an OEM number that I’d have to call for pay help since it is software from Gateway. If I do have to spend the $35 to get assistance, can someone assure me that I’ll be able to get my Windows XP activated? I don’t want to be out $35. Will I be able to do this over the Internet since it seems that each time I call I get someone with a foreign accent who is very hard to understand.

I found something on eBay but don’t know if it will help. The description is WINDOWS KEY CODE DISK 98 98SE ME 2000 XP HOME PRO This is a product key code Viewer Changer Utility for Windows 98 / 98se / Me / XP Home XP Pro 2000 Pro If you lost your original key code and need to Restore or Reinstall Windows 98/98se/Me/XP/2000 This Will Work. This utility disk will Decode and display the original Alpha Numeric Product Key Code used when windows was installed on your computer. This updated utility will even let you change the key code

Suggestions, other than to never listen to my son? Advise?

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

If you are attempting to install a Gateway supplied version of Windows XP,
then that is an OEM version. An OEM version cannot upgrade over an existing
Windows installation. Additionally, that Gateway Windows XP license is only
valid with the specific Gateway computer it shipped with. It is not valid if you
install it on a different computer since the license is non-transferable.

So the answer is.....it will not activate on any computer other that the Gateway
computer it was shipped with. You can read the entire End-User License
Agreement by going to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter.
Then click on End-User License Agreement.

If you wish to install Windows XP on your computer, you'll have to purchase
a convention "Retail Version" of Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
news:82EBAFA5-0707-4CD1-8C47-D19D2DD91832@microsoft.com...

| The company I work for purchased 100 plus computers from Gateway. They did NOT install Windows XP
Professional on any of the computers, they installed Windows NT and then last year upgraded to Windows 2000.
All these Windows XP Professional CDs were available to anyone. I brought one home and installed it a couple
weeks ago.
|
| During the installation, it asked me for the code on the hologram sticker that is on my work computer. When
the installation was complete, I don't know how I did it but I discovered I still had Windows 98 installed.
When the system booted up I didn't have the choice of XP or 98, it went to XP. I NEVER received any message
that I needed to activate my version. I did discover the files I had on Windows 98 when I did a file search.
My son told me I should re-install to free up hard drive space and with help I found on the Microsoft site was
able to complete the installation and only have one operating system. This time during installation it didn't
ask me for the 25 digit/number code and now every day when I turn the computer on it tells me I need to
activate Windows XP. When I click on the icon I get the message that it has already been activated. I now am
getting the message that it will expire in 27 days.
|
| I called Gateway and explained my problem to them but they said that since the computer wasn't a Gateway
they couldn't help and told me to call Microsoft.
|
| The first number I called I got someone that I believe wasn't in the States because his English was VERY BAD
and I had to keep spelling everything. He told me I needed to call an activation number. It was an automated
service but when I hit the zero button on the phone I got a real live person who spoke English with no foreign
accent. I explained my problem to him, told him I had the OEM number and activation digit/number from the
hologram but he said I'd need assistance from Customer Support and that there should be no problem.
|
| I was transferred to Customer Support only to be connected to another person with a foreign accent who had
trouble understanding my English. I gave her my OEM number and the activation code and after putting me on
hold for several times finally said I'd either have to check on the website for assistance or get help for
$35. I had already checked the website and found that I could get 2 incidents and unlimited installation
support at no charge and explained this to her but she kept insisting that I'd have to have the paid support
option or use Microsoft's Knowledge Base. She couldn't explain to me why the website said I could get 2
incidents and unlimited installation support at no charge.
|
| I tried calling the activation number again today and this time was transferred to Technical Support and
unfortunately it was another person with a foreign accent. It seems that Microsoft is routing their calls
overseas where labor is cheaper. This rep told me since my software has an OEM number that I'd have to call
for pay help since it is software from Gateway. If I do have to spend the $35 to get assistance, can someone
assure me that I'll be able to get my Windows XP activated? I don't want to be out $35. Will I be able to do
this over the Internet since it seems that each time I call I get someone with a foreign accent who is very
hard to understand.
|
| I found something on eBay but don't know if it will help. The description is WINDOWS KEY CODE DISK 98 98SE
ME 2000 XP HOME PRO This is a product key code Viewer Changer Utility for Windows 98 / 98se / Me / XP Home XP
Pro 2000 Pro If you lost your original key code and need to Restore or Reinstall Windows 98/98se/Me/XP/2000
This Will Work. This utility disk will Decode and display the original Alpha Numeric Product Key Code used
when windows was installed on your computer. This updated utility will even let you change the key code
|
| Suggestions, other than to never listen to my son? Advise?
|

TRENDING THREADS