Sign in with
Your question

Playing games in native monitor resolution, bad....?

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2006 4:56:28 AM

My LCD monitor has a native resolution of: 1280 x 1024.

BUT, my x1900xtx, likes to go higher than that. Should I play my games in that resoltion or a higher one. I read that it is good to play at your monitors native resoltion, but i want bigger and better....

I want the best image quality. THink I should play in native, or go up higher, to like 1600 x....
April 11, 2006 8:28:28 AM

Play at a higher rez if you want. In fairness 1280*1024 should be more than enough for you tho.
Related resources
April 11, 2006 6:19:07 PM

Quote:
My LCD monitor has a native resolution of: 1280 x 1024.

BUT, my x1900xtx, likes to go higher than that. Should I play my games in that resoltion or a higher one. I read that it is good to play at your monitors native resoltion, but i want bigger and better....

I want the best image quality. THink I should play in native, or go up higher, to like 1600 x....

Take the Andrew's Antacid approach - "Suck it and see":

1. Change the the resolution in your game of choice.

2. Play it.

3. Decide if it looked better than at native resolution or not.

4. Make mental note of result of (3).

5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 for all resolutions.

6. Pick best resolution.

Job done.
April 11, 2006 9:04:37 PM

With LCDs the native resolution is nearly always the same as the maximum resolution. So you can't go any higher. 1280x1024 is fine though. Turn on more detail and get better framerates.
April 12, 2006 8:49:14 PM

If you can set resolution higher than natural monitor resolution, then monitor will down-convert it to the natural resolution. You will still see the same amount of pixels, though they will be somewhat smoothed out. The process is somewhat similar to anti-aliasing (AA of FSAA), except that instead of improving quality of the image, the quality will be worse. Only if you go to really high resolution you can get quality improvement similar to AA.

For example, in order to imitate 2x AA, you have to have resolution 2 times higher both vertically and horizontally, i.e. 4 times more pixels. Needless to say that you will have huge hit for performance. So instead of that just put AA on x2 and enjoy the same results with minimal loss in performance.

Overall, it is always better to use AA than increased resolution for monitors with fixed number of pixels, such as LCD
!